Syrup Beer?!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PryorBrewing

Reaction score
Heys guys just completed my kegerator, Will post pics soon !!!!. So stoked.... I tried the force carbonation method and my beer seems to be coming out syrupy. could anyone shed any information on why. really need to be drinking now.

Need more info. What do you mean by force carb? Is it the Ross method, the leave at high pressure for a day or so then vent then serve method, or leave at serving for a week or so method? What type of recipe, kit, extract or AG. All I can think of ATM is that it's an AG or partial recipe and you've let it sit for a week at serving pressure to carb, and now you have a heap of crud (cold break, hops, yeats) at the bottom of the keg, or it's a kit with a heap of maltodextrin in it

Need more info. What do you mean by force carb? Is it the Ross method, the leave at high pressure for a day or so then vent then serve method, or leave at serving for a week or so method? What type of recipe, kit, extract or AG. All I can think of ATM is that it's an AG or partial recipe and you've let it sit for a week at serving pressure to carb, and now you have a heap of crud (cold break, hops, yeats) at the bottom of the keg, or it's a kit with a heap of maltodextrin in it

Hey Its a partial. Honey wheat. yes i did the ross method. I thought you should be able to pour after an hour ????

Probably not the case, but could maybe not all of the syrup residue was removed in cleaning/replacement of seals? Of course that's assuming you are using 2nd hand kegs.

The first time I used 1 of my kegs I must not have washed it perfectly in the posts/spring etc as there was a very slight sweet taste which I believe was some syrup residue that was on the inside of the beer post.

Probably not the case, but could maybe not all of the syrup residue was removed in cleaning/replacement of seals? Of course that's assuming you are using 2nd hand kegs.

The first time I used 1 of my kegs I must not have washed it perfectly in the posts/spring etc as there was a very slight sweet taste which I believe was some syrup residue that was on the inside of the beer post.

Stripped the kegs right back, did all the seals. The beer seems to be coming out really concentrated. I bottled some of the same batch and opened a bottle and was exactly how it should be. Really dont know what i have done wrong, or how to fix.???

The beer seems to be coming out really concentrated.
Sounds like ice beer - where it's too cold so all of the water is freezing and leaving you with concentrated beer, the syrup consistency would be due to the low temp. Just a thought, have you got a thermometer/probe in there?

What type of honey did you use? Could it possibly be some of it has settled to the bottom of the keg?

Sounds like ice beer - where it's too cold so all of the water is freezing and leaving you with concentrated beer, the syrup consistency would be due to the low temp. Just a thought, have you got a thermometer/probe in there?

Hey Thanks for the suggestion. i Dont have a probe in there and the fridge is running pretty cold. will try warming it up today.

Not saying this is the case, but, there is a bacterial infection that causes beer to behave syrupy or ropey.

Not saying this is the case, but, there is a bacterial infection that causes beer to behave syrupy or ropey.

Maybe Syrupy isnt the best term. Just seems really concentrated. Could this have havnt if the kegs have partially frozen or to cold ????

This would be pretty close to the money.

Did you fine with Gelatine?

Why would gelatine make a beer syrupy? Quite the opposite i find.

My problem with syrupy, concentrated, thick beer`s have been when I have been playing with decoctions and boiled up way too long like the bock I have in the keg now that is concentrated but not infected, I decocted 50% mash for 45+ minutes, hence I caramelised/toffied it.

Could this have havnt if the kegs have partially frozen or to cold ????
yes. Take it out of the fridge, thaw it out - see if it improves

Back