Syphoning with PVC

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbutlerau

Reaction score
I bought a cheap $5 pump syphon from bunnings on the weekend in order to transfer the beer into the bottling bucket. I forgot to check if it was food grade and it turns out it is PVC and says not for drinking water haha.
Opinion? Still of to use ?
Risk it anyway?
This is my first brew BTW haha

Its that bad?
Any ohter way to get it into the bucket without it getting too oxygenated?

What gear are u using? If your at bottling stage then u can just bottle straight from fermenter with a bottle attachment tht u connect to your tap u can get them from any HBS. Or if u just want to transfer from one to another u can get food grade tubing from HBS also and tranfer that way using gravity

was going to put ca. 150g of dextrose in water (boiled for a bit) into a second fermenter i bought, gently stir, and then use the bottling wand on the sap of that one. saves me priming individually. I guess at room them it shouldnt leech that bad and it not like im soaking it in it.

How do you use gravity? just put one alot higher and then sick the hose in...?

pvc has no place in the brewery where it contacts wort.

I guess I shall buy a new one. My LHBS sadly doesn't sell them. And it seems bunnings is not the place to go. Any ideas.... Or alternatives?

Your right with the gravity feed put your fermenter with your finished wort on a bench attach food grade hose to tap andake sure its long enough to go down into the empty fermenter or bottling bucket open tap and fill ontop of your 150g of dextrose solution. This way its not splashing everywehere and less risk of oxidization. Just make sure the hose can easily touch the bottom of the empty vessel and make sure u snaitse the hose inside and out

Latest posts

Back