Sydney People Lock Up Your Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
Good day New South Welshman just a quick message to say i'll be coming over early next week for around 10 days of beer antics with a mate who's living i believe in the liverpool area.

I have a small list I'am currently putting together of must see beer joints which I'll post later tonite so if someone can point out if i have missed something that would be very helpfull.

We will be spending a few nites upstairs at the australian and the lord nelson etc so if anyone wants to come along for a beer at any stage give me a bell on 0433 800 038, if you could start writing my number on dodgey toilet walls around sydney thats fine too. :lol:

I have no actuall set plans really other than rock up and see what happens on a day to day, hour by hour basis. I'll be pretty much free to do whatever beer touristy stuff that blows my skirt up at the time.

Theres a possiblity that we may go for a drive down to canberra for a day also of w&p.

Anyway like i said its just a straight out casual trip with no real plans other than drink great beer so if anyone wants to catch up at anytime or has any ideas that would be nice.

Cheers
Jayse

Jayse,

Definitely download Docs map of the Sydney pub crawl 2005 and give that a bash...

If you're going to hang at your mates place at Liverpool, sing out and we'll see about an arvo/night at the George the fourth at Picton...and I'll see if I can hussle up Pumpy, Franko, Hogan and a few others

Thanx Linz, just spent a couple hours reading your sydney crawl threads and downloaded the maps and what not. A session at the pub mentioned sounds great.

Still putting my list together and am almost organized.

Cheers
Jayse

If you're going to hang at your mates place at Liverpool, sing out and we'll see about an arvo/night at the George the fourth at Picton...and I'll see if I can hussle up Pumpy, Franko, Hogan and a few others

And maybe me from Wollongong. Give me call. 0404 876 276. I don't mind a fresh scharers or burragorang bock.

regards
Scott

Sounds like a plan to me. Will give you a bell.

Cheers
Jayse

Im sure a couple of us ISB types could meet u at the aus or lord nelson next week. My preference is tues / thurs, but im sure we can work around the liverpool / canb thing.

pity the canb trip wasnt this week, as i would have gone to the w&p with you !

nb - my choices, for what its worth (not all at once!)

the Australian (food / beer)
Lord Nelson (beer)
Redoak (food / beer, bring full purse only!)[might need to book if eating]
bavarian beer cafe (food /beer) & / or Lowenbrau Keller (food / beer) [similar food][nice steins ;-)]
belgian beer cafe (beer, food if keen & $$)[invite doc & discuss 'work' stuff with him on his company credit card ;-)]
glenmore (only for the top floor view than the beer, coopers downstairs) [near australian][bring camera]
james squires darling harbour (beer, food nice but not outstanding)[busy fri >4pm with locals]
maquarie hotel (beer - varies, nearer central / museum, not rocks)[if your near, then drop in, otherwise just another pub]

could also take the manly ferry from circular quay & vist the manly bavarian beer cafe, thou havent been there myself. could be an excuse to ... ;-)

cheers

nb - if u want addresses, will look them up 4 u, thou should be easy to find on google maps etc

Maybe a few handpumped ESB's at The Riverview, Balmain?

Thanx guys,

Got most of those addys' from the sydney pub crawl thread and will most likely get to all those. Not to sure of The Riverview yet but I have it on my list because pints of handpumped ESB sounds awesome, might do a day in balmain possibly. Its all a very last minute idea to get on a plane and go so no organization has come into play at all, only just booked my flight then and will be in sydney tomorow morning.

This thursday in the rocks is very possible in fact might stay in the rocks thurs, fri and saturday. I will get off the plane in the morning grab and box of beer and try and start on a plan for the week. I will be in town for 10 days flying back home the morning of wed 17th.
Can work around what ever day is best if anyone wants to catch up like the guys from linz's neck of the woods and a session at the George Forth and so forth.

Anyway I will be able to get on the net while I'am over there and organise as I go.

Its all starting to take shape anyway.
Cheers Guys.
jayse

whoops just reread the post properly....let us know when youre free

it is a bit off a way out but worth it...Mystery beer No 3(full strength) on the old 'Low alc' tap now at the George.

Last time it was a Hefe, with and APA to come on the next week.

Dunno what will be on but I can call the pub....

At the moment nothing is set in stone at all so if your up for it let us know what day/time best suits and I'll work from there, same goes for anyone who's up for having a beer where ever when ever. As is I have plenty of days to see all the places I want to so I can mix things around to arrange to be in any place at any time almost.

I'am in free and easy holiday mode.
Cheers
Jayse

Jayse,

If you are around The Rocks next Friday or Saturday then I'll get the bus in for a few with you. Lowenbrau for a few Franziskaners then onto The Australian, no problems.

Hope to see a few of the Sydney AHB'ers perhaps next weekend.

Cheers.

Yeap that sounds great I'am in, I'll post either tomorow nite or sometime monday something concrete could possibly be there both friday and saturday and other days before and after, will work it all out in the next couple days.
Be great to catch up with a few AHBers and saturday would more than likely be the best day for it in the rocks.

On another note whats the latest beer wise at paddy's? couldn't find anything, anyway more than likely will have a weeknite session there somewhere amoung all the beer bar hoping antics.
also is the nags head worth adding to my ever growing list?

cheers guys
Jayse

Pretty sure Matt Donelan has January off in terms of Real Ales at the Nags Head. Personally dont reckon it 's a visit without the beers as the attraction.
I'm going to try and catch up in the Rocks next week Jayse. Owe you a beer for your "intro to AG brewing guide", invaluable help in the lead up to my first brew. (esp the Led Zeppelin tip). I'll keep an eye on this thread and try and get along to one of the nights
Cheers
Jon

Cheers for the nags head tips and look forward to the beer :chug: :party:

Boozed, broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

Jayse
The Nag's is only worth the visit on the 1st Friday of the month, apart from that it is just another pub.

The Riverview in Balmain is worth the trip, but don't miss the other attractions such as the London & Royal Oak, oh and a really great bottlo near the Monkey Bar. I reckon you could put balmain in an AHB search and get some good info.

Paddy's is always worth a trip. Ring first & ask if the brewer Callum is there. Tuesday it is topless waitresses from 10 am - midday!

Saturday in The Rocks would be great to catch up, although my track record on these occasions is dreadful so I will say I am pretty much no chance.

Cheers
Gerard

Would love to catchup. I'm still on hols next week, but also have a house full of guests helping with the construction work on the back yard.
I do have to do a run to the airport Saturday morning, so should be able to swing past the Rocks on the way home for a quick one.

Beers,
Doc

Called the George yesterday arvo.... Lager, Bock and PALE ALE on tap

hey guys,

The adventure has begun got of the plane and did a full tour of duty yesterday around the traps and am sitting back feeling a bit seedy. Got to the lowenbrau, lord nelson, the australian, J.S brewhouse, pumphouse, the hero of waterloo and after a hard days drinking headed to the mercantile were we had a hotel room to finish of the job.

Great beers all round for the most part, had all the lord nelson beers and although not total grin factor beers they were quite good. The J.S brewhouse was the biggest low of the day with only one very average house brew on tap 'the highway man' which tasted like a glass of golden ale, amber ale and there IPA all in one and was a real let down and struggle to get through. The barman was a young arogant english pack backer dude and barely spoke two words when i enquired about whats happening with the beer. Anyway glad i went and checked it out but all the same I see no real reason to go back to the J.S.B again while over here. :ph34r:

The pumphouse thunderbolt was a much better beer after the horrid highway man just up the track.
Long story short the best beers of the day were moo brew, crakenback pale ales and bootleg raging bull all at the australian.

drank too many beers to even remember really.
Will be getting back to the lord nelson and the australian a few times during the next week and a bit and hope to meet up with a few on saturday maybe.

Still on the list for the next few days is paddys, macquarie hotel, bavarian beer cafe(s) and a run of pubs in balmain with the riverview being the main one.

Looking at maybe doing a session at picton with linz and whoever else is up for it maybe sunday or monday and drive to canberra from there the next day. Still not 100% sure there yet.

Boozed broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

bugger!!
i was at the australian and the lord nelson yesterday. could have had a beer with you....

Oh yeah, don't be tempted to go to Equilibrium! Stick to what you have listed and it will all be OK.

Wouldn't mind checking out the Macq hotel myself, meant to be some decent beers down there since the new brewmaster started. Might be a good idea to organise a little meet up somewhere around on one of the weeknights for the Sydney AHB folk?

Shame that the Malt Shovel Brewery at Camperdown doesn't do normal brewery tours, only select "industry" nights, but i'm sure something could be organised with the Macq hotel brewery, and Paddy's is worth a train ride to Flemington.

I think that the ISB crew might have something on this weekend but time will tell.

Latest posts

Back