Sydney Malt Bulk Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merrick

Reaction score
I've just been reading a separate thread on Bulk malt purchasing in the Melbourne area. Does anybody know of a similar opportunity in the Sydney area? I'd like to try and close the gulf of difference in price between what I'm reading for Melbourne bulk malt and what I'm paying in my HBS. Any ideas?

Merrick

Just did one through Gerard and it's worthwhile. I'd say you need to hit a 250kg minimum or so, and I'd recommend that you go full bags only.

Cheers - Mike

Im interested in a few bags if someone can organise the same sort of deal the melbourne guys get.

I'd be in for a few bags as well. Who's going to start one? merrick, it's your thread....

I'm definitely interested.... If we get a few more replies someone can fire them an email and see whats what.

Looks like there's sufficient interest in some sort of bulk grain buy. I'll do some research for supplier/prices etc and post results.

Cheers
Merrick

Looks like there's sufficient interest in some sort of bulk grain buy. I'll do some research for supplier/prices etc and post results.

Cheers
Merrick

Good stuff, I'm sure Rosso would be in for a couple too. :ph34r:

I'm interested provided this is finalised in the next couple of weeks

Im interested as well

I've looked into a bulk malt buy for Sydney folk. The following prices are based on a 20 bag purchase. Unfortunately I am in no position to be the distribution centre for such an order. However, the total delivery can be made to a location central to those participating, then each person would be responsible for arranging their own collection. That central delivery point would need to be determined by the group. As an alternative all participants can collect their individual orders from North Sydney. The grains are Joe White.

Pilsner malt 3.4 EBC $46.40
Ale malt 4.5 EBC $46.40
Wheat malt 4.0 EBC $53.60
Amber malt 40.0 $60.00
Munich malt 18.0 EBC $60.00
Vienna malt 12.0 EBC $48.00
Cara malt 50.0 EBC $60.00
Crystal malt 145.0 EBC $60.00
Chocolate malt 800.0 EBC $60.00

If there are sufficient brewers to make this a reality then I would be happy to organise the payments side of things. In view of anecdotal tales of woe surrounding organising bulk buys, I would suggest:

- Nominating a cut off date
- Payment will confirm each individual's order
- Order will be placed when all payments are received
- Prior agreement reached on a collection/delivery point.

I also looked at sourcing grain from Cryer Malts in Melbourne. While this offers a greater range and obtainable at the same prices on which the recent Melbourne bulk buy was based, the main problem is independently organising transport to Sydney. This would also add about $5 to the price of each bag if the order is about the 500 kg mark. Possibly there is someone out there better positioned to organise such freight collection and delivery.

Cheers,

Merrick

Hi Merrick,

Thanks for the efforts with pricing.

A pickup from North Sydney suits me.

Ian...

Latest posts

Back