Sydney 2007 Bjcp "course"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crozdog

Lunchbox Legend!
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 queries:

1. Will a BJCP "course"/education program be run this year in Sydney? Now my masters is out of the way I want to get stuck into something interesting, & what could be better than beer? Can anyone provide info on it?

2. Is there anyone else in Sydney intersted in doing this? Maybe if we get enough interest, a course will kick off......

Beers

Crozdog

Hi Crozdog

I was trying to organise one of these last year so might have some info to help. In the end my wedding and honeymoon got in the way! I know, I haven't got my priorities right!

Anyway I don't think I am going to be able to fit this in now as I'm about to start the Ballarat Uni Graduate Brewing course which will keep me busy, but I know that my brewing mate - Sean is keen to get involved in the BJCP.

Stuster has also expressed interest, he'll probably reply. Trev did offer to organise this, not sure whether he's still keen and Laurent (AHB member) and his girlfriend Melanie were also keen last year.

My mate Sean is overseas until Thurs and I'll get him to post to this thread when he's back.

Cheers

Jon

Yes, I'm here!

Laurent

Hi Crozdog

I was trying to organise one of these last year so might have some info to help. In the end my wedding and honeymoon got in the way! I know, I haven't got my priorities right!

Anyway I don't think I am going to be able to fit this in now as I'm about to start the Ballarat Uni Graduate Brewing course which will keep me busy, but I know that my brewing mate - Sean is keen to get involved in the BJCP.

Stuster has also expressed interest, he'll probably reply. Trev did offer to organise this, not sure whether he's still keen and Laurent (AHB member) and his girlfriend Melanie were also keen last year.

My mate Sean is overseas until Thurs and I'll get him to post to this thread when he's back.

Cheers

Jon

Hi
The IBU's are conducting a course in Wollongong this year starting soon, Check out the IBU's club forum
Ray

hi ray, he may not know the celebrated south coast IBU'S .club
website is www.ibunion.org

i hope this helps.

cheers alan

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

Ray/albrews, i checked out the IBUNION, but didn't find mention of the course. The link there to the AHB IBU sub forum doesn't work & when I go to the clubs sub forum here, the IBUnion isn't listed.

Laurent are you & Melanie still keen? I think Stuster did the course last year, but knowing him he may do it again :lol: I'll drop Trev a PM to see whether he's still keen.

Thanks for the update Jon, get Sean to drop me a line here when he gets back. Good luck with the course.

Philip

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

Ray/albrews, i checked out the IBUNION, but didn't find mention of the course. The link there to the AHB IBU sub forum doesn't work & when I go to the clubs sub forum here, the IBUnion isn't listed.

Laurent are you & Melanie still keen? I think Stuster did the course last year, but knowing him he may do it again :lol: I'll drop Trev a PM to see whether he's still keen.

Thanks for the update Jon, get Sean to drop me a line here when he gets back. Good luck with the course.

Philip

Folks,

Yes I'm still happy to get this up and running.

Keep in mind we need to get at least 5 participants to make it work.

Of critical importance is the venue. We need to meet regularly to discuss the topics, do some tasting etc but we need somewher that everybody can easily get to so I'm open to suggestions.

Ideally we could have a study group in Sydney as well as the W'gong one, and all sit the exam together which would please the BJCP folks in the US who do the grading etc.

Let me know your thoughts.

Trev

Hi

I am always interested in learning something new! especially beer related!!

but seriously, being a relative newby to brewing, is a course like this a waste of time for someone who has only been brewing for a short time????

If it isn't a waste of time I would be interested!!

DAve

Ideally we could have a study group in Sydney as well as the W'gong one, and all sit the exam together which would please the BJCP folks in the US who do the grading etc.

Trev

Ohh you hunk of spunk Trev!

Scotty

Ohh you hunk of spunk Trev!

Scotty

Happy Valentines Day, Scotty! :wub:

Can you southerners keep me informed of when you intend to have BJCP exams, because I need to sit one in the not too distant future?

Berp.

Dave, i reckon that it would NOT be a waste as you'd learn a heap about beer, its ingredients, production, faults, styles etc. That can only help you become a better brewer - & that's why I want to do it :beerbang:

Checkout www.bjcp.org. you can download the style guides etc from there.

Trev, top news, thanks! I agree we'd need to work out where to meet, but that's a bit dependant on where everyone is ie to find somewhere that's reasonable central. A joint Sydney/Gong exam works for me.

To date, possible starters are:

Dave
Laurent
Melanie
Shonky's mate Sean
Crozdog - Croydon Park

BERP - Townsville (exam only)

Anyone in Sydney who wants to do their BJCP please add your name to the list along with your suburb.

thanks
Crozdog

I'll put my hand up depending on how what the schedule for meetings is and how long i have to be there for. I suspect that either somebody's house if they have the space, a community centre with a hired room or perhaps somebody's company boardroom might suffice. The work boardroom here at St Leonards might be available, but i'd have to clear it with the boss, one problem is that we can't have a BBQ. :lol:

Some more details though, how much does the BJCP exam usually cost to sit, how often do we have meetings and for how long?

As I remember it, the course costs US$50.

There are some suggested syllabusses (syllabi?) on the BJCP site/links.

We're talking 10 - 12 sessions over 5 to 8 months, each session between say 90 - 180 minutes depending upon depth/interest etc. See BJCP Study Guide Link

Is the City a viable meeting location, as I may be able to get a Boardroom close to Wynyard Station?

Trev

Yes, I'm definitely interested too. It sounds like there may be enough people to get this going. City is fine for me.

Dave
Laurent
Melanie
Shonky's mate Sean
Crozdog - Croydon Park
Ben (possible)
Stuart

Well fresh from my tasting portion of the BJCP exam(Thanks Hills guild!!), Ive now got the hots to give the written section a 2nd crack. So if its OK I'd like to add my name to the list. Im in town most afternoons ATM...

Dave
Laurent
Melanie
Shonky's mate Sean
Crozdog - Croydon Park
Ben (possible)
Stuart
Linz - Mobile!

I'd definitely be interested, city is fine.

Would just need to know the day of the week it's going to be planned for to make sure it doesn't interfere with other things.

Looks like I'm a 2 for 1 deal.....Mell's going to come along aswell

So....

Dave
Laurent
Melanie
Shonky's mate Sean
Crozdog - Croydon Park
Ben (possible)
Stuart
Linz - Mobile!
Len - City/Glebe
Littles Squares - also Mobile by default