Swmbo Helps My Brewery Because She...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She tastes all my beers
Oh yeah. I forgot about this. Mine zeroes in on flavours that I cannot begin to articulate - where I taste a beer and think "Mmmm...fruity!" she says "Ummm...it tastes like lychee. But not fresh lychee. Lychee in syrup." And then she says "yuck" when the bitterness kicks in a glares at me and makes the face that says "why did you make me drink that?" and then I make the face that says "my beers are always like that - when will you ever learn?" and then we both make the face that says "lol!" and then she makes the face that says "I will kill you when you sleep."

Sounds about the same here jyo cept mine happily jumped at the idea when I said I wanted a grain mill so just got one for my birthday (bit late thanks to being from the US). Will help out when im trying to bottle a brew and boil one up at the same time and doesn't mind the kitchen getting invaded fortnightly. Also loves the smell when I mash grain as its a "homey smell" and the worms in the worm farm absolutely love the mashed grain. Yet to get a beer she cant wait to have but each one gets closer.

Oh yeah. I forgot about this. Mine zeroes in on flavours that I cannot begin to articulate - where I taste a beer and think "Mmmm...fruity!" she says "Ummm...it tastes like lychee. But not fresh lychee. Lychee in syrup." And then she says "yuck" when the bitterness kicks in a glares at me and makes the face that says "why did you make me drink that?" and then I make the face that says "my beers are always like that - when will you ever learn?" and then we both make the face that says "lol!" and then she makes the face that says "I will kill you when you sleep."

My missus used to drink my beer all the time, yet after 2 babies and a long period between being able to drink, she has lost the urge. I'll work on her.
Bum, sounds like you should send her off to the next BJCP intake :lol: I get the "why did you give me this bitter shit" look frequently and she picks the galaxy passionfruit kick but that's about it.

I'm lucky to have a She Who Reciprocates With My Bullshit (SWRMB) who helps bottle and drinks the ones she likes without getting in the way of the ones she doesn't (and I co-operate with her stuff) All good for me.... and we don't even live together yet....

Mines, lets me brew, buy what i like, lets me buy everything for my brewery, thats how we roll...
She has her hobbies, that require finances, I have mine..
She nods..shows interest , as much as I do her hobbies......mmmm

Mine rarely drinks alcohol and hates beer, so as well as being my designated driver, all the time, she supports my hobby 100%. She will sit with me whilst the grain is in mash and watches the wort bubble in the kettle, she will sniff the hops as I shove them under her nose and turn up her nose everytime but not complain. She brings me a fresh glass of beer whilst I mow the lawns, she can tell the difference between a Pils and Lager through smell and most importantly lets me buy anything I want for the brewery. If I ask, she will give a hand but generally I do everything myself. She doesn't complain on the odd occassion I don't have homebrew and buy the expensive beer from Dan's or purchase loose bottles for taste testing and when I get excited about something I bought she smiles and says 'thats great'. :D who's a happy brewer.........

... usually invites 2 or 3 of her best friends around for a sexy lingerie pillow-fight around the mash-tun while I brew.

Mildly amusing for me, but I do worry about getting feathers in my boil kettle.

Not one to miss an opportunity to brag... here i go...

Mine is probably about as beer obsessed as I am. So probably can't be counted as a SWMBO.

When I met her she was already all-grain brewing (although not designing her own recipes) and had a 2 tap kegerator in her dining room.

Brew days are counted as couple time. She even cleans up after me.
She sometimes does a brew on her own if I'm a bit busy or away.
Gets just as excited over new recipies or new hops.
Loves breweries. Frequently organizes brewery crawls and tours.
Likes the same styles of beer (no likey lagers to boot). I frequently let her order for me while I take a wizz or park the car or something.
Has a more accomplished palate than I.
Frequently brings home new beers for us to try.
Has a wardrobe full of beer and brewery tee-shirts
Talks about "when we have our brewery/hop farm"
Thinks it's great when we spent $100+ at the bottlo (with no cartons included)
Can hold her booze about as well as I can

Recent highlights, she:
- organized for us to go to a weekend hop picking festival in Colorado where we picked a shedload of fresh hops and took home more than we can use
- organized a week long brewery tour road trip through the rockies and colorado. Final stop Colorado brewers tasting festival.
- bought $200 worth of beer tasting sensory training kit http://www.siebelinstitute.com/sensory_kit/
- organized a week in January in San Diego to go to Stone brewery and Ale Smith brewery (among others)
- helped clean stout off the ceiling, walls and carpet of our bedroom at 1am after an explosion woke us up because the fermentation was bit more vigorous than I expected (yes I was fermenting in our bedroom)
- is really enjoying doing her own recipes with a little help from me, and exploring the difference between all the malt and hop types
- has all sorts of ideas for unusual ingredients (spicy "eggnog" stout currently fermenting, some herbal recipe in the works)
- wants to do some smaller trial batches so we can iterate on recipes faster
- bought 4 ryzomes that we planted this past summer
- recently came home with a new glass carboy, sack of grain and a heap of unusual beers as a random present (the nearest HBS is a 2 hour drive one way!)
- is excited about whatever beer/brewing stuff she has bought me for christmas (don't know what yet)
- is encouraging my brewbot mk2 build
- has a brother who recently started all-grain brewing at our encouragement. Family events are beer socials.

I'm going to be ashamed to bring her home to oz and only be able to offer her a bloody VB or Tooheys New at the local pub!

Sorry lads, she has no sisters.

IMG_3760.JPG

Mine is probably about as beer obsessed as I am. So probably can't be counted as a SWMBO.

When I met her she was already all-grain brewing (although not designing her own recipes) and had a 2 tap kegerator in her dining room.

Likes the same styles of beer (no likey lagers to boot). I frequently let her order for me while I take a wizz or park the car or something.

Recent highlights, she:
- organized for us to go to a weekend hop picking festival in Colorado where we picked a shedload of fresh hops and took home more than we can use
- organized a week long brewery tour road trip through the rockies and colorado. Final stop Colorado brewers tasting festival.
- bought $200 worth of beer tasting sensory training kit http://www.siebelinstitute.com/sensory_kit/
- organized a week in January in San Diego to go to Stone brewery and Ale Smith brewery (among others)
- helped clean stout off the ceiling, walls and carpet of our bedroom at 1am after an explosion woke us up because the fermentation was bit more vigorous than I expected (yes I was fermenting in our bedroom)
- is really enjoying doing her own recipes with a little help from me, and exploring the difference between all the malt and hop types
- has all sorts of ideas for unusual ingredients (spicy "eggnog" stout currently fermenting, some herbal recipe in the works)
- recently came home with a new glass carboy, sack of grain and a heap of unusual beers as a random present (the nearest HBS is a 2 hour drive one way!)
- is excited about whatever beer/brewing stuff she has bought me for christmas (don't know what yet)
- has a brother who recently started all-grain brewing at our encouragement. Family events are beer socials.

I'm going to be ashamed to bring her home to oz and only be able to offer her a bloody VB or Tooheys New at the local pub!

I'm goin right off you mate!!!!!!

Dirty rotten lucky bugger :lol:

Screwy

Recent highlights, she:

Hands down you are the winner!

Mine doesn't help in the brewery, she tolerates it (far more than when I was playing with and spending lots of money on cars).

The fact that she enjoys the beer I'm producing goes a long way to this hobby/obsession being accepted. I reckon i'd be pushing it to get her to help out on a brew day however.

Cheers SJ

This is where I started looking for the ignore function.

You lack tact, my friend.

My handbag hates brewing, whines about all my gear clogging up the garage, whines about the smell, hardly tries any of my beers, and when she does usually says,,, errrrk, its too strong. However she has a great arse.... so be it :lol:

Recent highlights, she:

Yep, all that above, plus mine gets horny from the smell of boiling wort. That's why I no-chill - faster if you get my drift B)

As per my recent introduction post...

Let me bottle a chocolate porter berfore driving her to the hospital for the birth of our first child.

:icon_cheers:

Back