Swiss Voile brew bags - anywhere you can buy them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slash22000

Stereotypical Lupulin Addict
Reaction score
So I bought a random brew bag from eBay and it's bloody hopeless. I could walk through the material, let alone hops/grains.

Looks like these Swiss Voile things are a bloody needle in a haystack. Everybody on Google raves about how great they are but nobody seems to know where you can get them. They reckon "Source the material and make your own". I couldn't sew any more than I could fly.

Anybody have any ideas? Clues? Directions? Sales pitch? :ph34r:

I am very happy with my Keg King bag. It's a fine mesh with a draw string for only $10.
Cheap hop socks too.

I bought a bag from a guy that does them in the U.S. He does them from his home and they are arguably one of the best biab bags on the market. At the moment I can't remember the name of the website....sorry. Hopefully someone here bought of him and happens to remember. If its any help the website isn't flashy, very basic, but the quality is great. Does a bunch of different types as well as custom ones. I got the one for a standard 50L keggle that tapers in, really well made and can hold a lot of grain. I'll have a look for the website when I get home

I just bought one from here last night. My LHBS has them but I was having a lot of trouble trying to get one for my pot, which apparently is quite large. The largest bag I could buy from the normal online NZ sites was still too small. I figure $35 including shipping isn't too bad :)

Just use a big sheet of swiss voile and sew nothing?

You know, like how the BIAB threads all said originally before a couple of retailers decided to start selling fabricated ones?

The funny this is, a big sheet of swiss viole from Spotlight, isn't a whole lot cheaper than what I paid to get a bag made up with hooks and things to attach to my skyhook.

slash22000 said:
They reckon "Source the material and make your own". I couldn't sew any more than I could fly.

http://custombiab.blogspot.com.au/
Maybe have a chat with Eoin, he's been a regular here for years and has a family business which turns out highly- regarded custom BIAB bags. They have had some downtime with a new baby, not sure if they're back in operation yet though.
[Edit- Beaten!]

Just buy 1.5m of the stuff from Spotlight and cut a 1.5m circle.

Line your kettle with it.

Tie it up like a swag, wrap a rope around it 3 times and tie a reef knot in it.

Zero need for fabricated bags.

A metre and a half from Spotlight is around $15. If you can get a ready made bag for that, then go for it.

I have two circles, hemmed, they are far more practical than bags, no seams to bust and simplicity itself to dump the grain, shake the sheet and stick it in a bucket of napisan.

I've owned four baggy bags in the past and gave all of them away.

Edit: if you have a skyhook you can get some awning cord and make a hangmans noose and use that to hang the swag from a hook, or just use a $3 short bungee cord, tie a granny round the neck of the swag and put the two hooks of the bungee through the skyhook.

Also - if you are not the hemming type - after you've trimmed the circle, simply light one of your mrs's tea candles and run the hem over it. Seals perfectly and doesn't fray.

slash22000 said:
So I bought a random brew bag from eBay and it's bloody hopeless. I could walk through the material, let alone hops/grains.

Looks like these Swiss Voile things are a bloody needle in a haystack. Everybody on Google raves about how great they are but nobody seems to know where you can get them. They reckon "Source the material and make your own". I couldn't sew any more than I could fly.

Anybody have any ideas? Clues? Directions? Sales pitch? :ph34r:
As per Bribie G in post #11, the enclosed link shows Swiss voile in use without sewing required. Note the pic "Mid Set-Up" shows a cord/strap holding the fabric in place.

http://sillybeertricks.blogspot.com.au/2008/03/big-brew-day-using-pebble-bed-mash-tun.html

Do yourself a favour and order a custom made bag from custombiab, see earlier posts.
I do BIAB since 2008 and been through 3 bags, homemade swiss voile ones and one from one of our sponsors.
For Euro 23.85 (incl. postage from Ireland) I got a bag which was sawn according to my 90l pot measurements, you have to provide measurements with your order.
It took 2 months for the bag to arrive, due to her pregnancy, but it was worth it. This bag is not made from swiss voile, a bit stiffer quality, but the quality of the bag is outstanding. You will also notice that the bag drains about 4 times faster than the swiss voile bags, no squeezing required. That by itself is an added bonus.
I stumbled on to custombiab through an earlier forum last year.
Should you be interested I can provide pic of my bag.
Needless to say that I have no affiliation with custombiab, just a very happy BIAB brewer with a great new bag.
Pete

I've been waiting for CustomBiab to get back into business, but the last post on FB (dated mid feb) says they'll be back to normal 'in a few weeks'. They're not.

I hope it's worth the wait. It's been about 4 months so far...

Back