Can I Use Swiss Voile As A Hop Bag?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achy02

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just whipping up a quick brew and had a thought. Can I use Swiss Voile to make little (disposable) hop bags? I am wondering whether the heat of a boil might be bad for it given that it is made of nylon. Any thought?

Cheers
Aches

Hi all,

Just whipping up a quick brew and had a thought. Can I use Swiss Voile to make little (disposable) hop bags? I am wondering whether the heat of a boil might be bad for it given that it is made of nylon. Any thought?

Cheers
Aches
I made 4 hop bags and have used 3 of them so far in a boil they held up fine.

Hi all,

Cheers
Aches
I use a hop bag made from Swiss Voile, no issues with the boil and totally reusable.

I've used some leftover voile to make a hop sock a while back, it was useless as it would never actually drain properly......

In terms of making little pouch's, I'd make sure I had them suspended into the pot with some nylon thread, just to keep them off the bottom.

Awesome I hadnt thought of the little buggers sinking to the bottom!

Aches

Probably the best thing I've ever bought, apart from the urn is my hopsock. Even the larger mesh is fine for trapping hop debris.

Swiss voile was used to contain hops before hop socks appeared on the scene. I have several of various sizes & have used them to dry hop for years.
Always chuck in a sanitised "Rattlesnake" magnet to ensure the hops don't float on the surface (In secondary) so it looks like there's a few different hopping techniques listed here. :)

TP

They work a treat as a hop bag during the boil, just make it a bit on the larger side to help ensure you get enough volume of wort in with the hops in the bag. I agree draining can be a bit slow, but I give it a good squeeze at the end of the boil when I take it out and they are completely reusable. All you need to do every now and then is to soak it in a bleach solution like napisan or similar for a day or so to bleach it nice and white again. This also works for the BIAB grain bag also, as I found out the first time I made a stout using one!

cheers,

Crundle

Latest posts

Back