Swiss Voile Alternatives? (biab)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huscre

Reaction score
I went to my local spotlight yesterday (Wollongong) on search for swiss voile. I looked around for 15mins but couldn't find it. So I asked the lady at the counter where they keep it. She said they don't stock swiss voile, "it would be very high quality and prohibitively expensive".
Istead she sold me some other voile. ("bohemian voile" comes to mind but I think I'm mixing my textiles with my beers.. figuratively.. not literally yet). It looks like calico and says it's 100% cotton .

After further research (eg. here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ic=29970&hl=) I'm thnking cotton won't work and I need 100% polyester? The BIAB instructions mention "100% swiss voile", but that doesn't specify what the 100% means. 100% nylon? 100% cotton? 100% polyester? 100% swiss?

Now does anybody know of another material that will work since they don't sell swiss voile in wollongong and I'm not about to drive to Bondi to buy $6 of fabric? Surely someone's had good experiences with other materials right?

Thanks, and sorry for the boring question.

AFAIK it's 100% polyester but if you could get a nylon version that would probably do as well. Look for a very fine 'sheer' curtain material like they make net curtains from. Apart from that I don't know what else it would be called:

biab2.JPG

You want the poly swiss voile, it's in the curtain section....

Someone posted the PLU number somewhere once, I think it was in the BIAB thread. Go in with that in handy and ask them try again.

It's not expensive, it's like $6-8 a metre.

I think the fabric lady got confused with another fabric called Swiss Voile that is a sort of lace, and very expensive. A few people have experienced this confusion, yes it should be in the curtain section.

I went to my local spotlight yesterday (Wollongong) on search for swiss voile. I looked around for 15mins but couldn't find it. So I asked the lady at the counter where they keep it. She said they don't stock swiss voile, "it would be very high quality and prohibitively expensive".
Istead she sold me some other voile. ("bohemian voile" comes to mind but I think I'm mixing my textiles with my beers.. figuratively.. not literally yet). It looks like calico and says it's 100% cotton .

After further research (eg. here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ic=29970&hl=) I'm thnking cotton won't work and I need 100% polyester? The BIAB instructions mention "100% swiss voile", but that doesn't specify what the 100% means. 100% nylon? 100% cotton? 100% polyester? 100% swiss?

Now does anybody know of another material that will work since they don't sell swiss voile in wollongong and I'm not about to drive to Bondi to buy $6 of fabric? Surely someone's had good experiences with other materials right?

Thanks, and sorry for the boring question.

Yeah she's full of it. The girls at spotlight here are clueless, its frustrating. My gf runs a clothing design/construction and alteration business so I'm always in with there. It's with the curtain fabric, and it costs all of about $6 per metre.

from someone who doesnt biab but had a little to do with textiles once.

I'd say the polyester would be better than nylon. considering polyester is normally dyed at 130degrees C I think it'll put up with boiling wort no probs

I had similar issues finding swiss voile in Adelaide at Spotlight, the younger attendants there knew nothing about it, but the older people did. You will find it in the curtain section, it is a very sheer, shimmery material, and is 100% polyester, NOT cotton.

Being in Wollongong also, perhaps Sammus might be able to PM you with details of where exactly in the store it is?

Crundle

from someone who doesnt biab but had a little to do with textiles once.

I'd say the polyester would be better than nylon. considering polyester is normally dyed at 130degrees C I think it'll put up with boiling wort no probs

The BIAB bag is removed before the wort is boiled so usually never experiences temps of over 70 degrees. However the poly would certainly be resistant to other forms of 'rot' which would be a worry with cotton. My bag has done 30 brews and is still in excellent nick.

I had similar issues finding swiss voile in Adelaide at Spotlight, the younger attendants there knew nothing about it, but the older people did. You will find it in the curtain section, it is a very sheer, shimmery material, and is 100% polyester, NOT cotton.

Being in Wollongong also, perhaps Sammus might be able to PM you with details of where exactly in the store it is?

Crundle

Naw I got mine from newcastle. Rarely use it though (is part of a never ending build of a compace 10L system I am/was building for a friend :)). I ust wanted to vent about the annoying spotlight ladies in the gong.

hey bribie, did you give the bag any special treatment when you first used it, other than a wash?

just wondering noting some of the treatments that fabrics sometimes get

Thanks for all the info guys,

I've printed out the picture of the fabric tag and I'll head back in there in my lunch break.

Hey sammus, great to see an experienced brewer in the area, BTW did you realise you just reached 2000 posts?

Well whatdya know, I did too. I'm not sure I want to click the send button anymore :)

Oh and BTW, there are lots of experienced brewers here. You should update your info, let us know where you're from. I'll introduce you to some of the local brewers.

Profile updated, thanks for the info!
Yeah I'd be very keen to meet the local brewers, I'll PM you.

Yay! More brewers united!

I wonder if AHB has a facebook group?

No treatment given to my swiss voile bag other than on brewday, being immersed in mash temperature water. It is a bit stained now though after making some stouts and porters, but still working well. I throw it in the washing machine every now and then to clean it up.

Crundle

I bought both the nylon and the polyester from the Gong's spotlight.

Take lift or stairs up. Go stand in front of counter. Tweedle Dee is on the left, Tweedle Dum is on the right.

Stand in front of Tweedle Dee, behind her are table of fabric rolls going back to the end of the store. When the tables behind her breaks into an open walkway and the continue on, the last table before the break had all the swiss voile rolls. White and ivory were there and I found nylon 1st time but then the following day found polyester on the same table.

Cheets,
Brewer Pete

Surely someone's had good experiences with other materials right?

Muslin works well. I'm too lazy to get it sewn into a bag so I just have a 1x2m piece, doubled over and draped into the pot. A few wooden pegs around the lip hold it in place. Super easy to clean. I think it was about $4 per metre.

Andrew

Yee Haa I found it in spotlight! Brewer Pete was extremely accurate in his details, though I think Tweedle Dum was off today. Still I found the table and it had numerous rolls of polyester swiss voile with slightly differing thread spacing. I went for an Ivory which looks practically white. Tweedle dee cut it up for me and I was on my way!

It was $6.99 per meter.

PS. I joined the IBU facebook group! <-edited

think Tweedle Dum was off today.
It was $6.99 per meter.

A relative, Tweedle Dumber works in spolight in Christcurch NZ, my wife went in for Swiss Voile, was told that they 'don't stock that stuff' and was sold 'bahaman voile' 'which is just the same', a tan coloured lightweight cotton thats going to rip the instant you put your grain in the bag!

Of course next day at the curtain counter it wasn't a problem......

:icon_cheers:

Back