Sweetening Keg Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use ALDI 3 litre juice (yeah ok its reconstituted concentrate, but the finished result is ok) and ferment it at 20c with champayne yeast. I let it go for 2 weeks and add clearing agent and then transfer it to a keg after another 3 or so days (to let it clear) . I also add fresh juice into the keg so you end up with a ratio of 3 parts juice to 7 parts fermented cider.
I then seal and pasturise it immediately to kill the yeast (otherwise it will keep fermenting the new juice sugars). I put the keg into the laundry sink and fill the sink with hot water and keep the temperature at 55c for at least 30 mins. Dont ask me how I keep the temp up (while waiting for the keg to warm up ...takes a while) I have used all manner of tricks and kettles and pumps to do this...but its worth it....and then I just usually let the keg sit overnight while it cools.
then to the keg fridge and carbonate like normal...nothing unique there.
Results turn out to be a great flavour semi sweet cider that the missus just keeps asking for more for.
I have tried bottling it (I dont have a counter pressure filler yet) from the keg and it seems to keep ok for a four months! (4 so far since my first batch)
I think pasturising is the only way if you dont want to use lactose.
Ive used lactose and didnt really like it.

I like this way because its just juice and it turns out nice flavour...fizzy and sweet! (and im a sweet tooth)

One question... Why do people keep mentioning Aldi Juice - I've noticed it's really not worth travelling to an Aldi for the few cents a liter I get off compared to the Coles/Woolies Homebrand Apple Juice...

Or is there a taste difference I'm missing here...

evildrakey said:
One question... Why do people keep mentioning Aldi Juice - I've noticed it's really not worth travelling to an Aldi for the few cents a liter I get off compared to the Coles/Woolies Homebrand Apple Juice...

Or is there a taste difference I'm missing here...
Sorry to dig up the thread,
Ive fermented home brand apple juice and woolies juice and they taste like alocholic water with a hint of apple flavouring (like its been watered down). Dont bother with either.

Back