Supposing I Found a Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They cant want it back that badly. Otherwise they would have collected it

Fat ******* said:
Well, after nigh on 6 months and more than a couple of emails, the bloody thing is still here.

It's absolutely surplus to my requirements, and I just want shot of it.

I should find out the address of the Sydney LC distributors and dump it at their gatehouse, so if anyone knows it, could they PM me and make it disappear from its current location as a favour. Of course, I'm not to be held responsible if it goes missing in transit or a third party were to steal it whilst awaiting collection during business hours.

Bear in mind that this is a keg that belongs to a big brewery and they obviously want it back, even though I don't know you from Adam, this being an anonymous Internet forum and all. I'm a very important man and couldn't possibly find time to drop it down there myself, so I'm asking for some assistance with this endeavour.

PM me if you can drop it back to the distributor for me.

Cheers,

FB

(Fatty O'Barrel)
When I used to live in Redland Bay, Qld this is why the local recycle tip used to charge breweries & supermarkets to get kegs & trolley's back. They spend a lot of time & money having their workers fish them out of creeks, ponds, parks etc. and then they have to dispose of them. The brewing and hotel industry could drastically reduce their losses by simply making sure a hotel has a secure area or shed to put the empty kegs in. The pubs I used to work in always did, if the breweries charged landlords for lost kegs 99% of the problem would disappear overnight. Send them another email telling them you want $60 for storing the keg since telling them & a further $10 for the next month after which you will be disposing of it yourself. Keep a copy of all your emails.

Cheers

PS. The pubs never used to collect them from the tip either, that's why they'd later sell them to recover some money. One of the workers told me they charged supermarkets about $115 each to get their trolley's back but I don't know if its true.

i have noticed lately there are heaps of 50l kegs on ebay

they used to disappear pretty quick off ebay (stolen item?) but it seems no one is bothering to worry about it anymore.

demand a storage fee if they ever show up :)
i reckon your pretty safe to just keep it now.....

vic law stuff here
i reckon your pretty safe to just keep it now.....
looks like a 28 day rule for low value goods is now in your favor

right a letter and post it

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/businesses/fair-trading/guarantees-warranties-and-refunds/uncollected-goods-and-vehicles/disposing-of-uncollected-goods/low-value-goods-and-vehicles

you can charge storage fee's see here
http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/businesses/fair-trading/guarantees-warranties-and-refunds/uncollected-goods-and-vehicles/relevant-charge-for-uncollected-goods

Well, after nigh on 6 months and more than a couple of emails, the bloody thing is still here.

I should find out the address of the Sydney LC distributors and dump it at their gatehouse, so if anyone knows it, could they PM me and make it disappear from its current location as a favour. Of course, I'm not to be held responsible if it goes missing in transit or a third party were to steal it whilst awaiting collection during business hours.

Bear in mind that this is a keg that belongs to a big brewery and they obviously want it back, even though I don't know you from Adam, this being an anonymous Internet forum and all. I'm a very important man and couldn't possibly find time to drop it down there myself, so I'm asking for some assistance with this endeavour.

Cheers,

FB
Mate if you drop it to your nearest Lion pub take a pic I will shoot you a reward for your time and effort.

Cheers,

Jim

jimmyjack said:
Mate if you drop it to your nearest Lion pub take a pic I will shoot you a reward for your time and effort.

Cheers,

Jim
I hope it is more then the Six Pack CUB sent me. Had a person offer me a hundred kegs for $2K, he sent me a photo of them and they were clearly from CUB. So I forward their customer service email a copy of what he sent me and a few months later I got a thank you letter & a six pack of Fat Yak. They explained the size of the operation and thanked me for my help.

Fat ******* said:

Cheers,

FB

(Fatty O'Barrel)
I agree that you should invoice them for a reasonable fee, say $10 per month, and see if that speeds the process.

A truck may turn up to collect, as well as deliver your cheque.

Too clarify the situation a bit better it's definitely not right that people steal the kegs in the first place and dump them later on, neither is someone's car being stolen and wrecked. However when you find out the owner left the car parked with windows down and keys in the ignition you wont find they get much sympathy from most people, police included. Also the councils don't actually sell the breweries and supermarkets their property back, but charge them the cost of clearing them up. I have no problem with this fee being imposed on them as its just the same as people who have to reclaim a pet a Council Ranger has impounded.

At the Cleveland Sands Hotel we had to write the serial number of every keg delivered into a notebook when they arrived, this did three things. 1). Made it easy to check the number of kegs delivered. 2). Made sure the kegs were rotated and tapped in the proper order. 3). If the Brewery ever had a suspect batch of beer, or we found one, it helped to clarify the period concerned. Empty kegs were locked in a secure ally next to where the kegs trucks parked, new kegs were bounced off a couple of old tyres (tires for any yanks watching) and put straight into the coldroom then the empty kegs were loaded on the truck. Not rocket science I know but I think old time landlords just had a better handle on how pubs should be run and made sure everyone followed the rules. The older hotels I worked in had the old time tradition that the landlord was like a weekly banker and social worker, some patrons got their paycheck on Friday, drank it at the bar or lost it in the TAB by Sunday, and then hit the landlord for a sub until pay day, a real endless circle. It worked very well from what I could see with very few defaulters, but the landlords weren't stupid and knew a lot of these people would steal something to sell if the opportunity arose, so security was tight and no leeway was given in applying it.

So to repeat myself again I just can't believe this keg stealing is still a major problem as it's such an easy fix. Any pub that got a $200 invoice for every empty keg not accounted for would soon find a solution. And as far as disposable kegs being a solution goes I really the believe the world has enough plastic shit going into landfill tips already without adding to the problem.

What a f#*%&#g rant and wank!

Sorry :lol:

Its interesting...sitting at my local recently...

They had an off keg of xxxx gold. They had to record the s/n,email the brewery, put a special cap on the keg to show it was bad,put a yellow tape accross the the top to salso show it was bad.

The brewery actually knew that the keg,via the s/n actually belonged to that pub.

The publican is pissed because he knows that it will take a few weeks to get an account credit

I might send Lion my resume looking for a position of Operations Manager... Promise to save them 500k a year on kegs.

Seriously, I cannot believe it's this hard. The location where the keg is at is less than 5 minutes from the route their trucks regularly drive. I can't believe the driver's wage + the running costs for the truck over 10 minutes is more than the bloody keg is worth.

The worst part is that I don't even have a use for it now and I really don't want to drop it back to them myself as a matter of principle. I don't want a reward or a prize or a special badge, I just want it gone with a minimum of fuss.

I should just turn it into a BBQ or smoker out of sheer bloody mindedness. They've had their chance to get it back and it would seem that fair trading would agree with me.

Latest posts

Back