Supermarket Honeys For Mead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone ever made apple beer.. I found a recipe for it in a sip through time book.. I would be adapting it to a kit, just to make it easier.. ideally I would like to use homemade apple juice, using my juice extractor... and of course it would be a test run.. so it would only be 5Ltr..

Anyone got any thoughts on this subject or experience in this type of beer...

like to hear your comments

For those who have used Wyeast 4632 Dry Mead, does it ferment dextirns, or is it short chain sugars only? If it is used in a Braggot, will it ferment dry, or will the sugars from the malt remain?

having only tried the sweet mead. it leaves just enough sugars for it to have a nice mouth feel

[quote name='O'Henry' post='704642' date='Nov 14 2010, 09:49 PM']For those who have used Wyeast 4632 Dry Mead, does it ferment dextirns, or is it short chain sugars only? If it is used in a Braggot, will it ferment dry, or will the sugars from the malt remain?[/quote]

I guess with an ABV tolerance of up to 18% there is a chance of it fermenting right out... however mine stopped at around 13.5%. When judged at Vicbrew 2010 it was described as having a slick creamy viscous mouthfeel.. no dryness v full body.

I am thinking of doing another one of these soon using different hops, similar honey and maybe a change in malt profile.

My last batch was made using pots, pans and strainers on the stovetop. I have graduated to BIAB now so I am itching to have another crack at the recipe.

Duck

[quote name='O'Henry' post='704642' date='Nov 14 2010, 09:49 PM']For those who have used Wyeast 4632 Dry Mead, does it ferment dextirns, or is it short chain sugars only? If it is used in a Braggot, will it ferment dry, or will the sugars from the malt remain?[/quote]

From memory, all wine yeasts ferment short chain sugars only. There aren't many/any long chain sugars in fruits so they don't need to. Its only the beer yeast strains that can ferment some longer chain stuff.

Cheers
Dave

I have one 5L Demi of Mead that has settled out and cleared, I have already racked it once and now its settled again. It tastes pretty raw at this early stage.. but I was just curious as to what effect oak chips would have on it.

If I age it with oak chips would that make it dryer? or soften it?

I have a family friend with bees in
East St Kilda. He has 'seconds' honey which uses a solar oven to remove honey from screens and he said it is excellent for mead. He sells it for $3/kg. I think he has a fair bit. Must give it a go. Apparently a few like him around. If anyone is interested, I can ask him for some contacts.

R

I have one 5L Demi of Mead that has settled out and cleared, I have already racked it once and now its settled again. It tastes pretty raw at this early stage.. but I was just curious as to what effect oak chips would have on it.

If I age it with oak chips would that make it dryer? or soften it?

It would oak it... like the diference between an oaked an unoaked wine. It will add some vanilla/carmel/woody notes depending on how toasted the oak is and what type of oak it is. It really depends on a whole bunch of things. You want to go very easy on it as it is east to overdo. If you have some oak then give it a go.

I'm doing a bunch of experiments soon on oaking with meads and I'll report back here when done.

Cheers
Dave

Edit: Spelling no so good after a bottle of wine

im thinking i might split up the one ive jsut done a base for and split it between raspberries, hungarian and french oak. so we shall see how it turns out.

I have a family friend with bees in
East St Kilda. He has 'seconds' honey which uses a solar oven to remove honey from screens and he said it is excellent for mead. He sells it for $3/kg. I think he has a fair bit. Must give it a go. Apparently a few like him around. If anyone is interested, I can ask him for some contacts.

R

I wish I lived in Vic instead of NSW.. honey sounds good.. :lol: B)

Great keep me posted on the oak...

I may put vanilla beans in.. can you age on vanilla beans, or one vanilla bean. Or would that be a bad idea, I may end up with 4.5L of vanilla essence.

my only guide for brewing (which I cleverly adapted from my only rule for cooking) is...

...you can't take it out [once it's in...]

(now technically you can fish the vanilla pod out, but in my experience the damage is done...)

vanilla like flavours are normally the result of ageing in [typically] American oak, (Tempranillo or Chardonnay grapes have the same 'tones'), feel free to throw a handful of vanilla pods into your brew... I'll politely refuse your tasting offer... imagine an impressionable wine maker throwing in bucketfuls of freshly mown grass...

there's many honeys... there's a few meads... blueberry, strawberry, chocolate, spices - start local... what's local to you dude?
It says here...
"...Homestyle would be a simple-recipe meadhoney, water & yeast. A varietal is a traditional mead with the honey coming from a distinct and distinguishable floral source. Metheglins are made with spices, Melomels with fruit or berries, and Pyment with grapes, just to name a few. Finding your personal favourite starts with your desired level of sweetness and carbonation..."

my only guide for brewing (which I cleverly adapted from my only rule for cooking) is...

...you can't take it out [once it's in...]

(now technically you can fish the vanilla pod out, but in my experience the damage is done...)

vanilla like flavours are normally the result of ageing in [typically] American oak, (Tempranillo or Chardonnay grapes have the same 'tones'), feel free to throw a handful of vanilla pods into your brew... I'll politely refuse your tasting offer... imagine an impressionable wine maker throwing in bucketfuls of freshly mown grass...

there's many honeys... there's a few meads... blueberry, strawberry, chocolate, spices - start local... what's local to you dude?
It says here...
"...Homestyle would be a simple-recipe meadhoney, water & yeast. A varietal is a traditional mead with the honey coming from a distinct and distinguishable floral source. Metheglins are made with spices, Melomels with fruit or berries, and Pyment with grapes, just to name a few. Finding your personal favourite starts with your desired level of sweetness and carbonation..."

Im in inner sydney, Im looking for a way to make my mead smoother, and with a vanilla hint. Mine always tend to be rather dry and harsh, I think its to do with the yeasts I have used, and the acid levels, which I have altered. I used acid mix in one recipe and lemon juice in another, the lemon juice one was an improvement.

Down to 1/3 - 1/4 of my 30 KG bucket of honey now.

My supplier told me on Sunday that he has another one with my name on it. This one has more "Greybox" than "Yellowbox" in it.

He says the Greybox is much nicer than the Yellowbox (at least for eating) so hopefully the same will be true for mead made from it.

Another 30 KG's coming up :)

Duck

can you use the wood chips you get at Barbeques Gallore, in mead.. I know they're for BBQing but are'nt they all the same??

haha ok, so thats a No.. just checking..

This whole forum is a learning experience for me. :p

now if I can just stop eating the honey and drinking the apple juice, I may eventually make some Mead and Cider.

can you use the wood chips you get at Barbeques Gallore, in mead.. I know they're for BBQing but are'nt they all the same??

You could... but you would get hickory mead. That could work. You might haver to toast them first... You don't usually use raw wood.. its normally toasted.

What you real;ly want though is toasted oak chips. You can get them from winemaking suppliers and I think Grain&Grape carry them. The degree of toastyness changes the flavours.

Cheers
Dave

You could... but you would get hickory mead. That could work. You might haver to toast them first... You don't usually use raw wood.. its normally toasted.

What you real;ly want though is toasted oak chips. You can get them from winemaking suppliers and I think Grain&Grape carry them. The degree of toastyness changes the flavours.

Cheers
Dave

so you have to toat them if they come from winemaking shops too??
Hickory sounds good.. I may try a small batch as an experiment.

so you have to toat them if they come from winemaking shops too??
Hickory sounds good.. I may try a small batch as an experiment.

Winemaking shops sell them pre-toasted. Usually with a selection of different levels of toasting to choose from.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back