Supermarket Honeys For Mead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it was the seal, I pushed the airlock in further and it was bubbling away..

On my second braggot I just added the yeast today safbrew T-58, and when I checked it tonight I had foam comming out of the airlock.. Whats going on, it will still be good to drink right?? Im glad I found it now before it made a bigger mess.
No problem. Just a vigorous fermentation. Braggots will also foam more than a straight mead as the proteins in the malt make the foam more stable. I usually leave a good bit more head space for a braggot.

Cheers
Dave

No problem. Just a vigorous fermentation. Braggots will also foam more than a straight mead as the proteins in the malt make the foam more stable. I usually leave a good bit more head space for a braggot.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Dave, a newbie mistake.. and Im making it in a 5Lt glass demijohn.. next time I'll use my 15Lt Fermenter... (thats if this braggot is good enough for a next time)

Let us know how it turned out. I made mead about a decade ago and it was foul! Waaaay too sweet - though it could just have been the aging process or that I bottled it too early. The bottles that didn't explode while I was overseas were alright a year or so later =).

Presumably the braggots don't need a nutrient (because of the malt content). How long does the fermentation / aging take, etc?

Let us know how it turned out. I made mead about a decade ago and it was foul! Waaaay too sweet - though it could just have been the aging process or that I bottled it too early. The bottles that didn't explode while I was overseas were alright a year or so later =).

Presumably the braggots don't need a nutrient (because of the malt content). How long does the fermentation / aging take, etc?

Hi Tanga, in regard to the aging and fermentation times.. They are excellent questions.. I dont know the answers to them. I was just going to treat it like a beer.. But if anyone else out there knows the answers please tell me..

I did a mead about 10 years ago, I think its what they call a sack mead, it was sooo sweet that I watered it down added some nutrients and EC-1118 yeast, I bottled it when it stopped bubbling and aged it around 6mths and it was awsome.. It was kinda like a champagne... and it was'nt too dry as EC-1118 tends to make things. I have yet to recreate it. :beerbang:

mine take about 3 months minimum but they start to taste really good at 6-9 months

mine take about 3 months minimum but they start to taste really good at 6-9 months

Do you rack.. could you please you go through your process for me, just to give me an idea.. I was going to rack it to a clean demijohn after 1 week of brewing. But after that I was all out of ideas.

i ferment mine like a beer then ether rack in to a keg or bottle and age.
theres not much more to them, i have bulk aged before but normally dont have the space generally. the first one in the dark braggot was aged on lees for 4 months.

on the lees for 4 months.. wouldnt that leave off or yeasty flavours??

no it depends on the yeast that you used.

no it depends on the yeast that you used.

I used Safbrew T-58.., but I also put dried herbs in, as an old recipe for braggot suggested certain herbs I didnt have fresh versions of, I used the dried versions. Mint, Thyme, Marjoram, Rosemary, Cinnamon, ginger.. these were all dried, I also added some fresh mint which seems to be the only herb in my garden. Thats all sitting in a sludge in the bottom of my demijohn.

as i said earlier i used a mead yeast which is alright for lees ageing.

as i said earlier i used a mead yeast which is alright for lees ageing.

I'll rack mine, after 1 week.. I'll check the S.G and if thats all good might bottle, if not will put in a clean demi..

On the subject of S.G, mine was 1060, to start.. is that normal. What S.G do yours start at, and what are they when you finish..

I dont want exploding bottles, I would use the PET bottles, but if it has to age for 6-9 months I'd want to put in glass, because the PET bottles lose carbonation after awhile.

Cheers

I'd certainly suggest you leave it longer than 1 week. I think it's pretty unlikely to be totally finished after only that amount of time and, as you say, you want to avoid bottle bombs. There's really no issue with leaving it for 3-4 weeks, but if you are worried about leaving it that long at least you could leave it 2 weeks and then rack it for another week.

What if I rack it to a clean Demijohn and leave that for 3-4wks, then bottle it??

I just didnt want it sitting on those herbs too long, incase it give off flavours, like if the fresh mint starts to decompose.

I will wait the 4 weeks, I really dont want bottles exploding, it happend to me once with a kit and was alot of work cleaning up, fortunately no one was around when they went BOOM!

That sounds fine, although really longer would probably be better. No need to rush these things. Exploding bottles can be a bit messy, the flying glass aspect is not a plus really. :( But if you need the fermenter space and/or you have ADHD like most of the rest of us :D then that plan should work just fine.

ok, I got it, I'll rack it off the sludge to a clean Demijohn.. then I'll fit an air lock and just leave it for 2mth, then if needed I'll rack it again, and close the lid. My 5Ltr Demijohns are actually Olive Oil Bottles from Plasdene.. they look like this. I bought some 28mm bungs from country brew, they were actually a little big so I dremeled them down to fit. yeh I hate waiting.. I got a beer kit going just so I have something ready to drink real soon..

IM_5LTR_1111_HF.jpg

Everytime I walk past my bubbling Braggot, I have to take a whiff.. and I gotta say it smell really good.. I hope it taste as good as it smells. :icon_drool2:

I think it was the seal, I pushed the airlock in further and it was bubbling away..

On my second braggot I just added the yeast today safbrew T-58, and when I checked it tonight I had foam comming out of the airlock.. Whats going on, it will still be good to drink right?? Im glad I found it now before it made a bigger mess.

Should be fine. Give it a clean up with a clean cloth and spray down with some starsan and you should be good to go.

Duck

I'll rack mine, after 1 week.. I'll check the S.G and if thats all good might bottle, if not will put in a clean demi..

On the subject of S.G, mine was 1060, to start.. is that normal. What S.G do yours start at, and what are they when you finish..

I dont want exploding bottles, I would use the PET bottles, but if it has to age for 6-9 months I'd want to put in glass, because the PET bottles lose carbonation after awhile.

Cheers

I ended up bottling mine after about 9 months in the fermenter. I used glass because the volume per serve in a PET bottle was too high for 1 person to drink comfortably. It seemed more logical to put it in a stubby so that there was less chance of getting hammered if I had to get off my ass to go get another one.

Wayyy too easy to drink.

Duck

I ended up bottling mine after about 9 months in the fermenter. I used glass because the volume per serve in a PET bottle was too high for 1 person to drink comfortably. It seemed more logical to put it in a stubby so that there was less chance of getting hammered if I had to get off my ass to go get another one.

Wayyy too easy to drink.

Duck

I dont have stubbies, I have glass 750 amber beer bottles, PET or a 10 pack of 500ml grolsch style (is that how its spelled) clear glass bottles.. Although I would be sharing most of the time.. I would prefer to use glass, just for the issue of carbonation... But want to make absolutely sure its safe to put in.. which is why I was asking about the S.G readings.. if it started at 1060, where should it finish before its safe to put in glass bottles?

or just wait 9mth to be sure before bottling??.... What torture.

Back