Super easy pickled onion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glot

Reaction score
For those that aren't kitchen people.
Sliced pickled onions are great with a bicky and cheese etc and a cold beer.
There are lots of better recipes but this is so easy and can be done one jarful at a time.

Brown onions.
Hoytes pickling mix or similar.
Cheap white vinegar.
Salt.
Jar with screw lid. Wide mouth.

Wash your jar and lid in hot water. No need to sterilise but make sure it is spotless.
Peel and slice a few onions. I like to cut them in half length ways then top and tail. Makes peeling easy. Then thinly slice across so you end up with half moons.
Fill your jar with sliced onions.
Add a decent amount of salt. Maybe a tablespoon or more, depending on jar size. Fill with cold water. Put the lid on and shake gently to dissolve the salt. Leave 24 hours.
Drain salt water from jar. Top up with clean water and drain a couple of times to rinse the onions.
Add 1/3 packet pickling spices and top up with vinegar. If you like them sweet, add some sugar but don't over do it. Maybe a teaspoon or two.
Put lid on and leave for at least 2 weeks but the longer, the better.

that is pretty easy but i like my naturally fermented onions and what could be easier than boiling up some spices, letting them cool then adding a 5% solution of salt/water to a big jar of onions and giving it 2 weeks to get funky by itself in a cool dark place! *drool*

Like both of these. I made some vinegar pickled onions about 3 months ago, yet to crack the jar. Haven't done fermented onions, but will definitely be doing that this week!

make sure you keep the lid a little cracked during the fermentation process kaiser, it does get a little gassy ;)

Don't we all!?

I just got two really nice fermenting crocks, similar to the harsch crocks with the water moat. This could be the test drive!

i remember years ago you could buy pickling vinegar,it had the spices in the bottle.also i use to add a teaspoon of dried chilli flakes,and some places i could get white onions suitable for pickling

I've got a few recipes I've tried and enjoyed, but my best is the easiest and not too dissimilar to your one. I peel and cut the brown onions as per post #1, and throw them in a large jar with any cheap distilled white vinegar. Chuck it in the fridge for a couple of weeks and yum. They are not the best for eating straight as they are very strong, but with some cheese or served on top a steak they are awesome.

I might have to improvise with pickling mix, but would this work with malt vinegar?

I agree malt vinegar is nice, but I like some brown sugar and cloves in with it.

@Glot, what does the salt stage do?

ok I googled it, it stops the onion going soggy if you want to keep them longer. I may have a go to see it it leave a saltiness that may be nice.

Not sure about the salt. Just seems to be the thing to do when pickling. Maybe dehydrates the onion a bit allowing it to absorb the vinegar. I rinse them well after I drain the brine.
Fermented onions sound interesting. I guess they also get a bit gassy after consumption too.
Pickling spices are just a short cut. Most super markets sell small bags cheap in the spice section. Basically, white mustard seed, Pimento, caraway seed, peppercorn, all whole. Many different variations. Some people slice a chilli in half and add. Makes the jar look nice too. A bit fancy. Most of the heat from chilli is contained in the membrane that holds the seeds ( is simple terms), so it needs to be sliced open for any effect.

My apologies. Hoyt's pickling spices contain black peppercorns, dill seeds, allspice ( pimento) bay leaves. All whole except the bay leaf.
Anyone done bread and butter cucumber? I lost the recipe years ago. Works great with Zuccini also.

I got inspired by this thread and put these together today (after following the first steps with the salt water yesterday)

From right to left...
Jar 1 - 1000ml - cloves, allspice (whole), brown sugar.
Jar 2 - 500ml - cloves, allspice (whole).
Jar 3 - 500ml - 1/3 pack premixed gourmet pickling spice (dill or mustard seeds, caraway seeds, dried red chillies, bay leaf, black peppercorn, allspice by the looks of it)
Jar 4 - 500ml - dried orange habaneros, dried lemon myrtle leaves (can't wait to try this)

All topped up with white vinegar.

Thanks for the simple idea which made me get this underway.

Done this, turned out great. With brown onions I used some chili, garlic, pepper corns, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary. White vinegar and a pinch of sugar. Everyone who tried them said it tastes great. I have been eating it by putting onion slithers on top of a slither of Camembert cheese. :icon_drool2:

I tried it with the salting up front. Tasted a lot more like the commercial ones.

Next batch I'm making I'm thinking of not salting it and using some brown malt vinegar. Then caramelizing some first runnings from a brew to throw in, and maybe a few cloves.

Like the sound of the beer onions kev!
I did an 11L bucket full last onion season and didn't salt them. Great texture and flavour.
70% malt vinegar 30% water then bay leaves, star anise, all spice, peppercorns and cloves. Think that was all.

Latest posts

Back