Sunken Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wadey

Reaction score
Hi All.

Just put down a ESB Quickbrew kit (Aussie Blonde Version) with Safbrew T-58 as recommended by LHBS.

Pitched the yeast at 24C, probably too high but best I could do, I am just starting to learn cooling methods and have a couple of ice bottles and a wet towel around the vat.

Anyway, about 3 minutes after pitching the yeast it starting sinking.

Very strange, never had this happen to me before, but never used this yeast either. I am just a kit man and usually use the yeast that comes with the tins.

Anyway, just wondering what people thought, is this normal I wonder, or did the yeast go straight into suspension or something.

Hope I havent stuffed things up as this was going to be my first kegging brew.

Cheers

Wadey

G'day Wadey,

maybe you've got one of those "powered yeasts" that was mentioned (loosely) a week or so ago and maybe it's gone straight to work!...(joking dude)

Seriously though, not sure exactly what you mean, or probably more to the point how you can tell. Do you aerate your wort when/as you pitch your yeast?

My yeast never ends up floating on the surface so to speak. (Lots of hop debris sure, but not yeast).

There are probably lots of different thoughts as to how to pitch yeast, but for me, i pour my cooled wort in to my fermenter from around 4 or 5 feet high to get a decent aeration into the fermenter before i pitch. Then i take my sterile spoony stirrer thingy, and give it a mix anyway.

I wouldn't stress at all mate. You'll make beer....

EDIT: Spellink

No worries.

I gave it a good stir for sure before pitching.

Just seemed odd as every other brew i have done the yeast seem to go to work on the surface.

Might have been a stupid question, but thought I would throw it out there anyway's.

I willl see how it goes overnight.

Ale yeasts are mostly top fermenters where as lager yeasts are bottom fermenters as a general rule. The yeast will sink down to the bottom and then come back to the top in the thick browny krausen. I am presuming you just poured the dry yeast onto the top of your wort in the fermenter. Should all be good by tomorrow.

Yes mate, just sprinkled over the top of the wort, I dont stir mine in.

Should be fine, thanks for the help.

I would seriously recommend re-hydrating your dry yeast before pitching.
Very easy to do and will greatly improve your results. Plenty of how-to links around.

Yeast cannot control what crosses their cell membranes when they are in a dried condition.
When pitched dry directly into wort, the osmotic shock (and other nasties they can usually keep out) can reduce viability by up to 50%.
There will still be enough active yeast to get your beer fermented to some stage but nowhere as good as it could be.

Zainasheff and White's new book on yeast is an excellent source of info for further reading.

In my experience with this yeast it will have risen to the surface by now, thrown a huge krausen and be half way finished.
T-58 is a beast, not sure how it will be in an Aussie Blonde, I've only used it in Belgian style beers and get nice spice and pepper notes fermented at 22C plus.
Cheers
Nige

Back