"Summer Ale" and Yeast Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fungrel

Reaction score
Looking to make a 'summer ale' inspired beer, but want to use a lager yeast.

Already brewed the wort, sitting in the cube waiting for some inspiration.

I have WLP833 in the fridge along with few others, but wondering which other yeasts people would suggest.

Boil Time: 75 min
Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.040
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

FERMENTABLES:
4.8 kg - German - Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner (93.2%)
350 g - German - Wheat Malt (6.8%)

HOPS:
10 g - Dr. Rudi, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.6, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.2
10 g - Dr. Rudi, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.6, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 99 °C, IBU: 5.48
20 g - mouteka, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.9, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 99 °C, IBU: 6.87

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 64 C, Time: 60 min
2) Sparge, Temp: 76 C, Time: 15 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 2.7 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
2 g - Brewtan B, Time: 2 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil
5 ml - Biofine Clear, Type: Fining, Use: Kegging

i was thinking about taking Dr. S' Golden Ale malt bill and using a lager yeast. those Dr Rudi's will be damn fine and citrisy i would imagine.

More like a summer lager then especially with the grain bill
Having said that just looked up the White Labs yeast guide for the first time
as I only have access to Wyeast at my LHBS
WLP080 looks interesting a blend of ale & lager yeast
Also there is the Kolsch WLP029 strain which if it is the same as Wyeast 2565 is a cracker
It would go great with that grain bill too fermented at 16c

Not much point with the lager yeast imo. You'll need to wait longer to get a real clean crisp flavor. I'd just go us05.

Not much point with the lager yeast imo. You'll need to wait longer to get a real clean crisp flavor. I'd just go us05.

Reason i want to use a lager yeast is because i will have to wait a while before i can drink it. If the beer hits it's peak in 6 weeks instead of 3, that's better for me.

Sweet, i have got DSGA malt bill more or less, with Amarillo i will pitch it with some 34/70 and see how it goes, nice! I better get the starter on tonight!

Cricketers Arms is a Lager with Amarillo have you tried that ?

Best lager yeast I've tried (tried a few but not loads) is wy danish. Would work well with this.

Or neutral ale and just cold condition extensively

I usually have over summer a keg of nelson summer ale I do from the receipe data base as it's a cracker up here in sunny qld. Usually just use good old us05.

End of last summer when I started pressure fermentations , I did the same trusty receipe and used s189 in the batches, came up a cracker beer as well. Always gets demolished in summer at my place. Summer ale, summer lager. Yummo, you just inspired me to brew one next week. Spring is on the way fast up here....

if you're willing to forgo lager yeast, you could get a very crisp and clean beer (perfect in a summer ale) with wyeast 1007. ferment at about 14-15c and it'll be on the money.

if you're willing to forgo lager yeast, you could get a very crisp and clean beer (perfect in a summer ale) with wyeast 1007. ferment at about 14-15c and it'll be on the money.
Ended up going with s-189 at 14c. Although i did just buy a pack of 1007 for an American Wheat.

Latest posts

Back