Suitable Stubbies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
I'm just getting started with brewing, and have what I assume is the usual dillemma of not having enough bottles (apart from the first lot of PET bottles that come with the Coopers brewing kit). However my local pub can supply me with as many used stubbies as I need. I like the idea of using stubbies as they're a convenient size for the occaisional drink, but I'm a little worried about the suitability of the 330ml Heineken, Becks and Corona stubbies that I have available. if I prime these with carbonation drops that state they are designed for 345-375ml bottles is this going to result in over-priming and exploding stubbies, or is the difference minimal enough for this to not be an issue? Am I better off looking into bulk priming?
And can anyone reccomend a particularly suitable brand of stubbie to look out for? Any advice is much appreciated, thanx!!
(edit: oops, I realised I should have probably posted this in common ground, admins feel free to move it :p )

Id not use the corona bottles. Clear glass is no good for your beer. Sunlight is a bad word.
Ive got a few hahn premium bottles which work well, and also monteiths seem to be alright. I mainly use long necks though so havent really tried them out yet.

berto said:
Id not use the corona bottles. Clear glass is no good for your beer. Sunlight is a bad word.
Ive got a few hahn premium bottles which work well, and also monteiths seem to be alright. I mainly use long necks though so havent really tried them out yet.
[post="68488"][/post]​
Is the issue with the corona bottles just the colour of the glass? Because the beer will be stored in a garage where it's pretty dark so not sure if that's much of an issue. I can get plenty of green Heineken/Becks bottles anyway though so maybe better tostick to those.

i use hahn premium long necks with a couple of coopers longnecks thrown in the mix

Any idea on whether the 330ml capacity is going to be too small for the carbonation drops? While I'd like to move onto racking the brew and bulk priming it at some point, I'd like to keep things simple as possible early on.

it shouldnt as i didnt even notice the difference between the 700ml and the 800ml long necks i have.

SpaceMonkey said:
berto said:
[post="68488"][/post]​
Is the issue with the corona bottles just the colour of the glass? Because the beer will be stored in a garage where it's pretty dark so not sure if that's much of an issue. I can get plenty of green Heineken/Becks bottles anyway though so maybe better tostick to those.
[post="68490"][/post]​

If the bottles are out of the light, it doesn't matter what colour the glass is.

Green bottles offer little in the way of protection from sunlight.

Hi there SpaceMonkey. Welcome to brewing.

I did a few brews in 330's, but I've gone back to 375 screw tops 'cause I have a 425 glass, and I'd rather wash 60 than 70.

Used the same amount of sugar, and haven't noticed any difference in carbonation.

Thanks for the replies people. I'll get the pub to start a bottle collection for me this week and ask if they can especially hold onto the 375ml Crown stubbies for me I think, but I'll get them to keep the Heinies too in case there's not enough of the Crowns (I don't think they move too much Crown).
Finally I'm assuming a bench capper works fine with stubbies?

SpaceMonkey said:
Thanks for the replies people. I'll get the pub to start a bottle collection for me this week and ask if they can especially hold onto the 375ml Crown stubbies for me I think, but I'll get them to keep the Heinies too in case there's not enough of the Crowns (I don't think they move too much Crown).
Finally I'm assuming a bench capper works fine with stubbies?
[post="68505"][/post]​

Careful with the Crown lager stubbies SM - don't overcarbonate.
Weakest bottles around. Threw all mine away after 2 exploded.
Glass walls were very thin (<2mm).

Yes - bench cappers are adjustable to suit any size bottle - good luck with your beer bottle collecting. I bet in a couple of brews time you will be onto longnecks SpaceMonkey!
Cheers
Steve

P.S. My two cents worth on the colour of the stubbies. I use brown longnecks for all my brews but I always use a couple of clear glass stubbies as my sampler bottles. I like to see the colour, clarity etc as they settle after bottling. All my bottles are stored in the laundry (no sunlight) and not had a problem. I wouldnt store the clear stubbies on the window ledge though.

Space Monkey,
if you have the pub at your disposal.. get them to start keeping champagne bottles! it may take a little longer but you can startcollecting while you are using stubbies.
champange bottles are extra thick and sturdy, it would take a decent priming error to get a bomb with these... and they look great when all cleaned up. worth the effort

Slainte'
KoNG

I second Kong in recommending the bubbly bottles. They are great. Since I started kegging, I'm gradually letting go of beer bottles and collecting the bubbly ones. You just need a different bell on the capper and larger crown seals.

If you can, get grolsch bottles.
These are thick and sturdy and as an extra bonus you dont need to muck around with a capper.

johnno

I like the Little Creatures stubbies, the labels come off really easily.

I use clear bottles for my yeast cultures. You can see the colour of the yeast much easier, when it is old it goes a muddy brown colour and can cause sluggish ferments.

Kieren

I often use stubbies when bottling my brews. As mentioned earlier, be careful with the Crown stubbies. I have had so many of the little bastards explode.

I have used many clear bottles over the past year and havn't had any problems (my beer is stored in dark conditions though).

I have also had a heap of Tasman Bitter bottles explode. They look sturdy but must have thin glass walls.

In my experience, good stubbies are:
- Monteiths
- Grolsch
- Coopers
- Emu Bitter/Export
- Carlton Premium (Clear)

The only annoying thing with using stubbies is the amount of bottle tops you go through.

Cheers!

Another point I forgot to mention was that if you are using different sized stubbies when bottling, bulk prime your brew. It saves a heap of time and effort (and frustration).

Cheers!

after 4 years of brewing, I am yet to have a bottle explode.....(touch wood..hehehe)

bottles I have used are:

Amsterdam 330 ml,
Grolsch 473 ml & 1.5 L,
James Squire 345 ml
Amstel 330 ml
650 ml green bottle from HBS (I use these almost exclusively now)

that's it I think.....oh yeah....I avoid twist tops 'cause I think they suck....real beer bottles have to be popped off, not screwed...any screwing should be kept to either DIY or the bedroom!

chars

Bidtfaun

Back