Suitable Stubbies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ryanator said:
I often use stubbies when bottling my brews. As mentioned earlier, be careful with the Crown stubbies. I have had so many of the little bastards explode.
[post="68561"][/post]​

That surprises me. I've used mostly Crown lager bottles for about 15 years & only ever had 1 go bang - & that was this year. What are your carbonation levels like?

I've been using stubbies, or more specifically Crowns (mainly 'cos they were what I could get hold of). I didn't realise they were a bit brittle. I don't mind using stubbies because while they are a pain to bottle, they are much more convenient for storing and drinking.

The problem is, I don't have anywhere nearly enough! Ironically I live right next door to an RSL and I hear them dumping bottles every morning... stubbies and longnecks both twisties and rolltops, even champagne bottles, but they sell them to a recycler. :(

Where do most people get their bottles from? Does anyone know of any pubs in Melbourne's eastern suburbs that are homebrewer friendly?

Tyberious Funk said:
Where do most people get their bottles from? Does anyone know of any pubs in Melbourne's eastern suburbs that are homebrewer friendly?
[post="68590"][/post]​

Drink 'em yourself. :chug:
Myself & 2 mates drunk and collected 100 cartons of Black old & Coopers Sparkling long necks in less than 12 mths. :party:
They mount up fairly quickly.
Got back into brewing when my mate moved and a box trailer full of empties needed a new home.

Weihenstephan bottles are the way to go.
Advantages:
1) 500ml
2) Strong
3) Brown
4) Crown seal
5) Good beer to drink
6) Most are bottle conditioned & you can culture the yeast.

shmick said:
Tyberious Funk said:
[post="68590"][/post]​

Drink 'em yourself. Myself & 2 mates drunk and collected 100 cartons of Black old & Coopers Sparkling long necks in less than 12 mths.

Crikey, that'd be, what, 2400 longnecks???

Sadly, practically none of my friends are beer drinkers :angry: (I'm thinking of trading some of them for better ones :p ). And while I am slowly building up my own collection of empties, I need more right now... not in the six months it would take me to drink my way through them :(

RobW said:
ryanator said:
I often use stubbies when bottling my brews. As mentioned earlier, be careful with the Crown stubbies. I have had so many of the little bastards explode.
[post="68561"][/post]​

That surprises me. I've used mostly Crown lager bottles for about 15 years & only ever had 1 go bang - & that was this year. What are your carbonation levels like?
[post="68588"][/post]​

I was brewing with maple syrup (probably a bad idea). The sugar in maple syrup takes much longer to ferment. I thought fermentation in the drum had ceased so I bottled the brew and let it age for about three months then BOOM! Crownies were the only ones to explode though. That could be to the fact that I didn't want the rest to explode so I drank the whole 23 litres in about two days.

Is the issue with the corona bottles just the colour of the glass? Because the beer will be stored in a garage where it's pretty dark so not sure if that's much of an issue. I can get plenty of green Heineken/Becks bottles anyway though so maybe better tostick to those.
[post="68490"][/post]​

The other issue with the corona bottles is your mates thinking youve jumped the fence. Take a look at the guys sucking on a corona next time youre at the pub. Well bar in the case of corona. No self respecting pub sells the stuff.

Awesome stuff guys, the pub in question is a pretty trendy place so bubbly bottles should actually be no problem, they would go through several every evening so a week should be enough to get me a good stock. I'll take your advice and go for them I reckon.
Had thought of the Grolsch bottles too, I doubt they sell too much Grolsch though and it will only be the little ones. Still I might try and get some of them too, plus some Coronas for sample bottles.

Wow,

I'm surprised out of all those replies only one mention of dropping the coopers drops and going with the bulk prime... even if it is slightly off topic.

Don't get me wrong, the drops are pretty good in my experience. However, bulk priming is better.

See: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/Freq...pics-t1151.html

Then scroll down to the bulk priming section.

Top idea with the wine bottles though... anything that is glass, thick and a pop top is preferable. I have read that crownies are weak, guess the beer is contagious and the glass caught the disease! ha ha ha...

Having mentioned that, I only bottle long necks and they are all twist tops. Never had an explosion or broken glass thread yet... 3 years old! But you get them free... so less to loose right. You should experiment for the benefit of the greater good of this forum!

Cheers,
Jarrad

RobW said:
ryanator said:
[post="68561"][/post]​

[post="68588"][/post]​

I've been thinking about this, and I reckon it's because they changed the bottles a couple years ago. Crown bottles used to have no logo on them, felt fairly thick and looked dead sexy once the label was removed. Now they're thinner and have the crown logo stamped into the glass, which also distorts the bottle making it no longer properly round.

I've only crownies never had em pop - I have'nt seen the new ones with the stamp on the glass

These days when I bother with bottles at all I mostly use XXXX tallies. I used to use a lot of 500ml bottles as well. The better quality English & German bottles like Youngs, Fullers, Erdinger, Schneider and so forth are great. Beware of the lower quality thin bottles used by Hansa Pils, Schoefferhofer, etc. which are quite fragile.

I've long since thrown out all my Crown stubbies. I never had one pop, but I kept on cracking them if I got too heavy handed with the bench capper. I've even had the whole neck snap off one when I tried to open it!

The stubbies I've kept for infrequent use are mostly James Squire, Matilda Bay and Little Creatures, plus a few Corona bottles which are great for watching your beer carbonate and drop clear (but keep them in a dark place). When I get around to brewing a Chilli beer, I'll probably collect more Corona bottles as I intend to serve with a pepper in each bottle and a Corona bottle would be great for displaying the evil goodness within.

Edit: my vote for best looking stubby is a delabeled Matilda Bay bottle. It just looks like a real beer bottle - a miniature version of the reusable tallies of old.

Kai said:
I've been thinking about this, and I reckon it's because they changed the bottles a couple years ago. Crown bottles used to have no logo on them, felt fairly thick and looked dead sexy once the label was removed. Now they're thinner and have the crown logo stamped into the glass, which also distorts the bottle making it no longer properly round.
[post="68726"][/post]​

And aren't those labels a bugger to get off.
Another option is champagne bottles - easy to get you only need the bigger tirage bell for your capper.

I have got a dozen of the original Matilda Bay swing tops. They are beauties - I wish they still did them. They have the added advantage of being brown + they are 550 or 600mls.

I was recently given a few of the new glass mount franklin water bottles. They are pale blue (ish) in colour. Approx 300mls in size?? Ive used a couple as sampler bottles and they seem to be fine. They were stored in a dark laundry - no sunlight. And they arent twist tops either which is a bonus. Any one else tried these?
Cheers
Steve

All sorted!! The pub's told me that they go through tons of champagne so I'll have a stack of bubbly bottles this weekend, plus a few crownies and some coronas for sample bottles.
Just a couple of questions for sydneysiders, is there anywhere in Sydney, (preferrably on the north shore) who stocks the extra large crown seals and the larger sized bell for my bench capper?

I am quite fond of the 2L P.E.T bottles (Coke etc) .
I store the 2L in them, squeeze the air out, and store out of the light.
Pull one off the shelf, chill and then carbonate with the 'Carbonator' attachment, or throw in a coupple of sugar drops when bottling.

No bottle caps (regular type) and no carefull washing ,capping etc, and 2L is a good volume for me !
I am a kegger, but always bottle the extra 4-6L in this way.
Only drawback is its not so romantic as a 'slender tall glass bottle', but hey i have gotten over it !

:beer:

A few comments on good bottles for homebrew.

1. Stubbies: I love James Squire and Monteiths stubbies, and Cooper's ones aren't too bad either.

2. 500ml bottles. I've got quite a few heavy German/Czech 500ml beer bottles, mostly from Kozel and Weihenstephan that I drank myself. These really are fantastic bottles: strong, easy to remove the labels, easy to cap. The 500ml Hansa/Schoffenhoffer bottles aren't as robust, but if you are careful they are still quite OK. I haven't managed to break one yet.

3. My favourite bottles are my old refillable 750ml CUB longnecks. My parents keep finding them in the paddock on their farm, where potatoes and onions used to be grown. The pickers must have been thirsty, given how many bottles they left lying around. These bottles are very though. I once tipped a box of them on the tiled laundry floor and cracked the tiles, but not the bottles!

Back