Suitable Fermenters.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skurvy84

Reaction score
Hey Chums

im looking into buying a new container/fermenter so im able to rack, bulk prime etc.

what clever products have users come accross instead of paying $35+ for a new fermenter.

a local place in SA has 20L drums for $15 each but it doesn't say if they are food grade
Paramount Browns 20L Drums

they do have these 76L food grade drums for $10 each but i think for my simple K&K 76L is a bit big.
Paramount Browns 76L Food Grade Drum

for the purpose of racking i have consider a fuel container from Supercheap Auto like the following
Willow 20L Water $19.99
or
Fuel Container $32.99 which is getting close to the cost of a fermenter anyway.

One technique of searching the AHB forums-

Type the following in to a search engine such as GOOGLE. site:aussiehomebrewer.com "containers"
Your search term is entered between the quotation marks.

touche..... i searched but not the word "containers"

thanks matey

Bunnings Water Barrels for about $16. They are about 28 litres and have a red screw-on lid. Accompanying tap for about $3. Comes with a rubber 'O' Ring - great to hold down glad wrap lid of you couldn't be bothered drilling a hole for an airlock.

Boo, Hiss , to airlocks.

I've bought a couple of 20 L water storage containers... one of them I got for $15 with a tap from a junk shop, but I haven't tried using them for primary fermentation. I only use them as a secondary vessel for conditioning the beer before I bottle it.

I can see two potential problems with using these type of containers for primary fermentation:
- if you don't leave enough head room in the container it could overflow
- difficulty of cleaning. I usually have to use a soft cloth to clean the crap of the sides of my primary fermenters, so it's better to have something with a large opening so you can get your hand in there.

- difficulty of cleaning. I usually have to use a soft cloth to clean the crap of the sides of my primary fermenters, so it's better to have something with a large opening so you can get your hand in there.
If you're planning on dumping another batch on top of the yeastcake, I would agree - otherwise a good dose of warm napisan and a decent shaking does the trick for me. I did a 2x10L batch of keeved cider (de-esterified pectin gel gives you an absolutely massively thick krausen) in water containers and had no worries with cleaning as above. Techincally no reason not to ferment in plastic water 'jerry cans' given enough headspace. Not so confident about the fuel-rated ones though :ph34r:

I say spend the $35 on a decent fermenter with appropriate handles - I hate the handles on my bunnings fermenter. Dropped the darn thing on my foot once. Ouch.

While on the subject, I need to get another vessel for bulk priming (two fermenters are always full, and I am starting to feel bad about having to borrow my neighbours spare every couple of weeks). So i was thinking about getting one of the thin, upright cubes. No reason why this wouldnt be great for bulk priming, in fact perhaps better, as there's less area open to the air when racking. This route means that I'll already have a cube for when i get into AG too.

But primary fermenting in a cube, nah. I agree with WW, I would prefer to be able to get in there and give the krausen muck a good scrub.

PS: WW your current sig makes me laugh :p

Bunnings Water Barrels for about $16. They are about 28 litres and have a red screw-on lid. Accompanying tap for about $3. Comes with a rubber 'O' Ring - great to hold down glad wrap lid of you couldn't be bothered drilling a hole for an airlock.

Boo, Hiss , to airlocks.

'nuff said, perfect answer to the thread.

I have three of these bunnings fermenters. Glad wrap over the top, use the included black rubber band to hold it down and you have a great fermenter.

Only thing is they can be rough around the edges. I think I'm gunna file all the sharps plastic bits back one day when I can be bothered!

PS: WW your current sig makes me laugh :p

:icon_offtopic: glad someone noticed!

btw - what section at bunnings has the 28L water barrels? I've sent HWDMB to bunnings in search of a suitable fermenter for me and he came back with a 20L willow water storage container and paid some riddiculous price for it!

:icon_offtopic: glad someone noticed!

btw - what section at bunnings has the 28L water barrels? I've sent HWDMB to bunnings in search of a suitable fermenter for me and he came back with a 20L willow water storage container and paid some riddiculous price for it!

just ask for water storage drums.

wow tons of replies already

at the moment i have 2 fermenters but will be losing 1 when i move out so im after a fermenter for primary (i want to try and keep 2 full) and something for racking and bulk priming. Cospack have some very nice containers but i think they are fairly expensive.

so basically its no to fuel containers & Water containers for primary but they are okay for racking and conditioning.

a proper fermenter for Primary and bulk priming is a better option.

ASK???... do you really think the 15 year olds that work on the weekends know, or care, where anything is? :p

I'm sure if you go down there wearing a wonderwoman outfit, the boys working there would be more than happy to help. :ph34r:

edit, ON topic.....
forget the fuel containers. The blue willow sort are used by lots of people, as are similar ones, but water jerries, not fuel ones.

They're usually one aisle to the left of the outdoor section, at the back of the store. Near the sort of eskies and jerry cans. Sometimes hard to fine because they're sort of big so if someone buys one the one behind it will be about a foot or more back from the front of the rack and you can easily walk past it.

ASK???... do you really think the 15 year olds that work on the weekends know, or care, where anything is? :p

I have no idea if all Bunnings are set out the same, but at my local one the are on the back wall, not really in a particular 'section' to speak of. Maybe they are near the pool chemical aisle, but that's a vague recollection. But certainly on the back wall. They have a red screw-lid (yea I know I said that before, but it's handy to remember)

And yep, I have found that it's IMPOSSIBLE to get anything helpful out of Bunnings staff, regardless of their age bracket. Geeze, years ago they used to be quite helpful (or perhaps Im just getting grumpier & less tolerant of retail idiocy as I get older)

thanks Mark and renegade - next time I get conned into going to bunnings (my most hated shopping experience, but my partners favorite) I'll have a look near the outdoor/pool/esky section

thanks Mark and renegade - next time I get conned into going to bunnings (my most hated shopping experience, but my partners favorite) I'll have a look near the outdoor/pool/esky section

Yeah I thought I was the only one that didnt like Bunnings.

Yeah I thought I was the only one that didnt like Bunnings.

men love it - I haven't met any women who love it, but then it's not something I've really discussed with any women... so perhaps it is just you and me :lol:

men love it - I haven't met any women who love it, but then it's not something I've really discussed with any women... so perhaps it is just you and me :lol:

When renovating a house it is a necessary daily shopping experience!

I find them in the back corner of my local also, lots of sizes and shapes to choose from.

I have only ever bought cubes there though...

Back