Sugars In Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marca85

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering whats the go with sugars.. I am a new brewer and want to know if its ok to brew with more than 1kg of sugars. (dextrose, brew enhancers, light dry malt etc)

Lets say i make a brew with 1kg of dextrose and 500grams of light dry malt i know this would probably increase the ABV but would it enhance the beer or degrade the beer?

Cheers

marca

The sky is the limit (almost). Different sugars will impact your beer in different ways.
Dex will produce alcohol and co2. It's fully fermentable, so you will get a thinner, dryer beer.
Malt will add to the abv but also aid in head retention, body and mouthfeel. Have a bit of a cruise through the articles above and get a handle on the basics. A lot, if not all the basic questions have been covered in there and you will benefit from a decent read through.

im going to get stomped on for offering advice from a newbie, to a newbie, but here goes!

i laid down an apple cider on the 7th. in it i put a malty brewcraft sugar (#15)...... to give it a malty kinda flavour.... then i added 500g of lactose. according to my LHBS owner, the lacotse wont be eaten by the yeast, so youll end up with a sweeter beer..... or cider in my case! this seems to be right, i mean, im not doubting the bloke, but you have to find things out for yourself!

what ive found on here, and with my own brews, is that its all about experimentation!

Thanks guys..

I just bottled coopers unreal ale. But instead of using brew enhancer 2 i used 1kg of dextrose and 500 grams light dry malt. I tasted one tonight, not much carbonation but I can tell its going to be good. A little bit thin atm which im guessing is because if the dextrose but should turn out alright.

Im thinking of brewing with honey next.. Could i substitute say 250 grams of the dextrose with honey?

Thanks again!

marca

Do a spot of searching about the fermentability of honey. In a nutshell, yes, you can sub honey for dex but it usually nearly 100% fermentable too. This means you won't really end up with any easily detectable honey taste. I used a big ol' jar of honey in a cider a few months back and I can't taste a damn trace of it. Nice manuka honey it was too. It did however, end up rather boozy and dry. (but that is to be expected in a cider...)

G'day Brewers,

Marca85 this is a top question. Have a look around for recipes using different types of sugars. I recently did a Coopers K&E and used some golden syrup to add some extra fermentables and change the flavour. Turned out pretty good. You can use other things like honey, chocolate (be careful on quality here), liquorice, fructose, dark brown sugar (good in a ginger beer) and list goes on.

As for the Coopers Brew Enhancers, the name is a bit misleading, but they do alter the taste due to the ratios of different sugars. I am lead to believe by the Cooper's HB forum that BE#1 is 60% dex and 40% maltodex & BE#2 is 50% dex, 25% maltodex and 25% light DME.

Trust this info is useful!

Cheers and happy brewing,
Damo

Sugaz 101​

Beer is traditionally made from malted barley, hops, water and yeast. However there are three brewing "traditions" that have substituted fermentables other than malted barley and they have done this for a number of reasons:

USA - their traditional six row barley is very high protein and in order to "tame" the beast and produce clear beers without hazes, for about the last 150 years they have used a high proportion of other unmalted grains in their mainstream beers, mostly maize and rice (Bud for example have big rice farms in Louisiana). Despite the growth of craft brewing, most American, Mexican, Canadian and South American beers are produced this way - some even put in potato starch. And why not I say B) However apart from some West Indies breweries, the use of sugar itself is not widespread.

Britain - the introduction of artificial fertilisers in the 19th century resulted in bumper crops of barley but again they started hitting haze problems. Also the Malt laws were changed in the (1880s??) so maize etc was no longer taxed as malt, but regarded as a sugar so tax free. So brewers even until recently would add a fair whack of maize and / or sugar, as Britain was at the centre of world sugar trade and owned most of the production, especially from the West Indies etc. This came in handy during the two World Wars as brewing malt was in very short supply so they bunged in even more sugaz. However it's interesting to see that nowadays a lot of the better brands such as Fullers and Timothy Taylor have gone back to all malt, due to the breeding of low protein modern malts and also the fact that the ingredients cost isn't such a huge component nowadays. Most of the cost of beer is in energy, plant, paying the forklift driver etc.

Australia - Up to 30% of the fermentables in beers such as VB comes from cane sugar for a few reasons fairly unique to Australia. Until the 1960s the six o'clock swill meant that a million thirsty workers would descend on the bars at 5 pm every day and drink themselves legless. The beer had to be cold, light in body and easy to chug down and massive use of sugar enabled them to turn out a light swilling piss. Also barley malt production has always been a bit unreliable due to droughts and floods, of course. So having another fairly reliable fermentable was invaluable. Plus the fact that the barley is grown inland, but the major breweries were on the coast, where sugar is grown. Many a now vanished local brewery was established in - or within easy rail shipping distance of - sugar country (Steindls of Maryborough, the old brewery at Maclean NSW, Macs at Rocky )

In all those traditions, it's been possible to sneak in sugars and other adjuncts - not always as a cost cutting exercise - and still produce a popular and drinkable beer. If you poison of choice is Carlton Draught, mate it would just taste plain wrong if they did it as all malt.
However whilst 30% is probably as high as you would want to go, I've always felt that the use of a kilo of sugar to a beer kit is not only dead wrong but also IMHO is mostly what gives home brew a cheap and nasty reputation, that and poor temp control or yeast choice.

In my kits days I almost invariably used BE2 and found with the lighter coloured kits that it produced a beer not unlike the mainstreams such as Carlton, which was what I was aiming for at the time, without being too thin or "twangy" as compared to the kilo of cane sugar version. In my "historical" UK beers made on grain I often put in a couple of hundred grams of sugar, or half a kilo of maize, as I'm aiming more for the sort of beer I would sup back in the 1970s.

You can use other things like ...chocolate (be careful on quality here)

What chocolate have you used before Damo? (I notice you have a Willy Wonka Porter in you signature). Are you using a type of cacao, or a mainstream brand of chocolate?

Dave

Back