Successful Attempts At Coles Or Homebrand Kits, Recipes...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have read he likes the toucans, should develop a new categorie in the BJCP to showcase the toucan.

Hi All

Like everyone else I picked up a few cans on special at Coles to experiment with. Here's one I mixed up not three hours ago:

"Ringwood Draught"

1 x Coles Draught
BE1 1kg
LDME 500g
Pride of Ringwood
US05
23L H20
IG 1048

I'm just starting out myself and like everyone grabbed a few cheap farmland draught cans from Coles. A few days ago I bottled one lot using just the kit and a coopers BE2, it tasted ok going into the bottle and I imagine given a few weeks it will be drinkable. I've also got a brown ale fermenting that I made using another of the farmland draught cans and the brown ale kit converter from brewcraft. So far I've just been working out the process more than anything and cheap cans are a great way to experiment.

I am REALLY happy with Brigalow New and coopers brewing sugar. Bloody top drink, went down real easy!!!

my Cascade pale has aged..(post16) very nice drop..hop flavour excellent,sat in bottles 5weeks

I also made a batch of Toohey Draught with a can of Tooheys brewing sugar, fermented for 5 days and bottled for 12 days, I'm drinking it as we speak and it tastes as good as any commercial beer!!!

I grabbed an armful of Coopers cans from the Coles sell off
(8 dark ale, 2 real ale, 4 lager - actually that's more than
an armful :D). The real ales do a good version of DrSmurto's
Golden Ale and even tho need to add coopers Wheat extract,
there is still some savings in cost.

I've brewed a tri-can Belgian dark strong ale that's chilling and
waiting for priming/bottling and so far tastes really good, very
Belgianny - I tasted hazelnut flavours at one stage (Guylian
chocolates?). Also a second batch of the same is underway on
the same yeast and intending a third batch as well.

Belgian Dark Strong Ale "Lost Abbey"
Coopers Dark Ale 1.7kg
Coopers Lager 1.7kg
Coopers Wheat Malt 1.5kg
Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey
20L
Belgian Dark Candi II 0.25kg
Kent Golding 60g dry hop
- candi and hop added when initial ferment started to slow
(about a week) though I lost some of then due to pot overboil.

Calculated values: O.G.: 1088 F.G. 1021 ABV.: 9.1%

Yep, a bit of a head kicker. As well as the third batch, I'm also
planning to do a wit beer as follows:

Belgian Wit "Going witless"
Coopers Lager 1.7kg
Coopers Wheat Malt 1.5kg
Light DME 0.5kg
Coriander seeds 1g
Orange Peel 7g
Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey

After 1st ferment subsides:
Dark brown sugar 0.25kg
Kent Golding 15g - dry hop with sugar
Saaz 15g - dry hop with sugar

Calculated values: O.G.: 1047 F.G. 1012 ABV.: 4.9%

Tom.

my coles (farmland) experiment

1 tin of lager
1 tin of draught
500g of dex
10g cascade @ 10 min
10g amarillo @ 5 min
10g amarillo @ 2 min
made upto 25ltrs
US-05 yeast
brewed at 18deg

it's been in the bottles now for 2 weeks and it almost carbed up, but i grabbed a fleet tester yesterday and put it in the fridge, i just tasted tonight and it's and it quite good!!

i'd say if it improves with age then it could be my best batch yet!

i went back to coles a few days ago and there shelfs are totally empty

this brew cost

1 tin of lager $4.11
1 tin or draught $4.11
500g of dex (can't remember, been a while since iv'e brought it, i just used some leftovers)
hops $6
yeast $6.50

total= bit over $20 for 25 ltrs of very drinkable beer, so i'm happy :)

my local coles (glenroy) is all but cleared out too and managed to grab their last coopers brewery for 40$! over the last couple months I've picked up only a few cans from there.

Yeh no Coopers cans left at my local!!!!

Put this down yesterday though

Coles End Of Line Ale.

2 cans Coles Lager
150g steeped Crystal malt
500g Wheat Malt
15g Sazz @15
15g Sazz @10
15g Sazz @0
US-05

Made to 25L

Will keep posted of results.

On Sunday my local only had 2 tooheys lager cans left and a bunch of cider/ginger ales.. that was it.

I currently have a coopers canadian blonde, a coopers lager and a coopers pale ale... Wonder if I can do a toucan with with blonde and lager... It would be my first toucan.

Oh I also grabbed the last tooheys brewing sugar can for 2 bux heh.

Will be slim picking at most Coles Supermarkets now i can imagine. Theres was only Tooheys cans left at mine. Not often Coopers cans get half price knocked off them!!!!!!!!

This must be why BigW had the coopers cans for $7:98..

and gidday and thanks for the INfo I've gotten from the site too..

My local KMart has just scrapped its homebrew range aswell. They barely put anything on clearance then next day the shelves where empty. Must have sent it all back!

Coles End Of Line Ale.

2 cans Coles Lager
150g steeped Crystal malt
500g Wheat Malt
15g Sazz @15
15g Sazz @10
15g Sazz @0
US-05

Made to 25L

Made this recently, Gassed up yesterday. Used up a bunch of bits and pieces i had lying around.

Result is super drinkable, heaps better than the mega swill available. Yes i agree with people saying you should spend the extra couple of dollars, but for $4 dollar cans i wish i had bought ,more of them before they disappeared off the shelves.

I still maintain a decent beer can be made from them.

I'll let you know in a few months :lol: I put down a 3can about a week ago with these marked down tins. Coopers Stout & Dark, a Tooheys Lager and a kilo of LDME. Fermenting with Nottingham at 18 as we speak, also threw in 40g Fuggles a few days into ferment. Not expecting drinkability till' next winter.

Well this came dead last in Vicbrew :rolleyes: Will enter it again next year, just because I know how much a beer can change in that time. Stll not expecting a super beer, just hoping for something acceptable

i brewed a toucan of the coles draught. used a shitload of finishing hops and 1 kilo of dexterose and 500g of LDM. tasted overpoweringly sweet but quaffable, of course delivering double the kick at about 7%

Back