Success In Recruitment Of Homebrewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlow_coates

Reaction score
Just thought I would post a happy story about the spreading of the great act of homebrewing.

Ever since I started homebrewing at school in 1999 (or there abouts) I have never been able to inspire others to take up the same hobby (though I don't think through lack of quality brews, though some in the beginning were very suspect). However, in November last year I took out a mate to buy his K+K set up so he could try his hand at it. He has now got 7 different brews down and is holding his first homebrew BBQ next week.

Also my brother who for years has ummed and erred over it has finally layed down his first in the last week.

As much as I enjoy having BBQ's and showing how different beer can be through AG efforts, as well as the odd K+K, it is rare that all that beer shouting is ever repayed. I am looking forward to sitting down to someone elses homebrew for a night, and hopefully seeing a few more recruits to the cause. :icon_cheers:

Just thought I would post a happy story about the spreading of the great act of homebrewing.

Ever since I started homebrewing at school in 1999 (or there abouts) I have never been able to inspire others to take up the same hobby (though I don't think through lack of quality brews, though some in the beginning were very suspect). However, in November last year I took out a mate to buy his K+K set up so he could try his hand at it. He has now got 7 different brews down and is holding his first homebrew BBQ next week.

Also my brother who for years has ummed and erred over it has finally layed down his first in the last week.

As much as I enjoy having BBQ's and showing how different beer can be through AG efforts, as well as the odd K+K, it is rare that all that beer shouting is ever repayed. I am looking forward to sitting down to someone elses homebrew for a night, and hopefully seeing a few more recruits to the cause. :icon_cheers:

Whilst I like to share a beer with my mates and show them what brews can be like (as most have bad thoughts about it - as has been discussed much before) I have stopped "trying" to recruit them to the cause, if someone is interested however I will spend as much time as they want passing on what I know,

I also have some K&K mates who use spec. malts - but incorrectly, they don't want to really know they're happy with their brews and thats that, so I leave that alone too.

As you say it is a nice feeling though to be "shouted" a brew at a mates place once in a while, especially if you have passed on your knowledge for a change.

I guess I have found most people I know love a beer, but it's just too much damn trouble to brew their own. Mind you I can also see their point of view especially with children in the mix.

I hear ya. I just wish I could get family and friends onto the hobby but I think they know I'm gonna make it anyhow and can pop by anytime they want for a drink.

All it takes is one good homebrewed beer, and that seems to be enough to turn my mates.

I've managed to get 4 mates from work into homebrewing, and a plenty others interested in 'quality' beer just by giving them a try of some of brews. They fall in love with the stuff, and consider "Well if Muggus can brew it, then anyone can!"...which is probably true...:p

Back