Substitute For Magnum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insight

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing my NSW case swap beer on Sunday, and the recipe I'm working off has a 29IBU 60 min addition of Magnum. I have no Magnum in stock, so I've been searching the internet for substitutes and the information has been less than conclusive. I am leaning toward a load of Williamette at the moment because of the low cohumulone and the lineage. Anyone have another suggestion?

This is what I have in the freezer:
Amarillo
Bramling Cross
Cascade
East Kent Goldings
Hallertauer Mittelfreuh
Nelson Sauvin
Northern Brewer
Perle
Saaz
Simcoe
Styrian Goldings
Warrior
Williamette

My chart says Northern Brewer...

But depenidng on the the recipe - Warrior and simcoe are listed for Ales & Stouts.

Warrior is a great clean bitterring hop of 15%AA or so. I find a gram or two over or under makes a huge difference, so if you go that way, make sure your scales are accurate.

I would use 75% NB and 25% Perle @ 60 min

The best beers happen when you sub hops!

Screwy

I would go Warrior or NB.

+1 for the warrior, I just bought nearly 2kg from craftbrewer for bittering to weather the (possible) shortage. I'm a big fan of magnum for bittering and am lamenting the fact that my stock has just about dried up.

cheers

Browndog

Magnum is a stellar bittering hop, clean and neutral. Unfortunately it's a little hard to get at the moment; hop shortage anyone?

For higher alpha subs I would go Norther Brewer or Warrior. Otherwise Perle Willamette Hallertau would all be just dandy.

Warrior would be the best sub but how about using simcoe for a bit more hop character :huh:

Latest posts

Back