Chinook

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Raja Goomba I

Prisoner of Sobriety
Reaction score
Pedigree
Cross between Petham Golding and a high alpha USDA male

Brewing Usage
Dual Purpose

Aroma
Distinct, medium intensity spice and pine characteristics with subtle notes of grapefruit

Possible Substitutions

Typical Beer Styles
  • American-style Pale Ale

Additional Information

Increasingly popular among craft brewers; released in 1985.

Storage Stability
65 - 70% of alpha remaining after 6 months

Alpha Acids
12.0 - 14.0%

Beta Acids
3.0 - 4.0%

Co-Humulone
29 - 34%

Total Oil
1.5 - 2.5 mL / 100g

Myrcene
35 - 40% of total oil

Humulene
20 - 25% of total oil

Caryophyllene
9 - 11% of total oil

Farnesene
< 1% of total oil

General Trade Perception
A high alpha hop with acceptable aroma

A pine forest washed with exotic spice and infused with grapefruit. This alluring aroma and a high bittering value has gained this hop full respect from craft & major brewers.

I thought I'd be the first cab off the rank with a 'new' post in the new hops description subforum, posting a prototype for future new threads.

I never used to use chinook or anything with a similar descriptor, certainly in my APA/AIPA. It was really only getting into a mini bulk buy from one of the American hop places with other Brissie brewers that got me onto it. I wanted some centennial and kinda had to go along with the chinook.

I've found that, for me, this hop shines at 30 minutes and 10 minutes. I really like using it to balance up an APA or AIPA from being pure 'fruit-salad' to having a depth of flavour and balance between bitterness, the pine and spice of Chinook and the fruit coming from my other fave hops (such as Nelson Sauvin, Citra, Galaxy).

I'm sure that at a pinch this could be used as an early addition in a British style beer that would reflect its "Goldings" background.

It's actually also very good as a dry hop in an APA or AIPA style. I like it.

It gives a nice spicy pine edge to the beer to balance any other citrus/fruit salad /pineapple etc hops, as you have noted.

Back