Sub for POR in a Coopers Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meddo said:
LC would you mind elaborating a bit about the Foster's Bitter?
I was never directly involved in its production so I don't know much about it.

I believe it was a short, hot mash to produce a high gravity wort of low fermentability, I think it was something like 17 oP (1070 SG), I think it was kettle hopped and I'm guessing it was fermented at high gravity then cut back by about a third, like other CUB product. Final beer was around 2.8% ABV so there's a lot of remnant dextrins there.

My memory of the beer is that it had more flavour and interest than the other light beers of the time but a slightly syrupy texture which rapidly became cloying. It was an abject failure in the market.

Either it or one of its relatives (Power's Mid Strength, Matilda Bay Bitter) generated the dumbest complaint I ever dealt with: the guy sent it back because it didn't clean the barbecue properly. Maybe that's why it didn't sell.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Either it or one of its relatives (Power's Mid Strength, Matilda Bay Bitter) generated the dumbest complaint I ever dealt with: the guy sent it back because it didn't clean the barbecue properly.
Thats gold bro

Back