Style Of The Week 24/10/07 - Belgian Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to post that off the top of my head ive done 10-20 belgian style beers with both wyeast 3787 & 3522 yeasts & that i like the 3787.

So I looked up my records.

17 belgians. 13 with 3787, 4 with 3522.

3787 ftw.

Am lucky enough to have 6 tubes of first generation 3538 Leuven left & you don't have to own acreage to be a (yeast) farmer. :lol:
Really like this yeast so send that email to Wyeast WAD TDA.
Warren --- never tried the 3522 B.Ardennes yet but intend to.

TP :beer:

Bugger that Pete weez emailing you!! :p

Edit: Pete 3522 is a really nice strain that has a broad temperature spectrum. You can actually ferment it in the mid to late 20s.

Warren -

I brewed a belgian plae of sorts that is an excellent summer beer - I'll be doing another one for sure.

I used the 1762, and used the pale as a way to build up yeast numbers before doing a high gravity dubble - it was a great yeast for both (in my opinion) and I'll be using it again.

The reciepe I ended up with:

Recipe: GPA 7.0
Brewer: Matthew O'Brien
Asst Brewer: Al
Style: Belgian Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 42.00 L
Boil Size: 46.36 L
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 kg TF Golden Promise Pale Ale Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 57.14 %
4.00 kg Weyermann Pilsner (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.10 %
30.00 gm Northern Brewer [6.60 %] (45 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.40 %] (45 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.40 %] (30 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.40 %] (15 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
45.00 gm Saaz [2.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4.76 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast Labs #1762) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 26.08 L of water at 78.1 C 67.8 C
10 min Mash Out Add 14.60 L of water at 92.9 C 75.6 C

I just did a belgian pale ale that is sitting in secondary.
I used the Brweing Great Euro Beers at home recipe for de Koninck as a base
4kg pils
1.3kg vienna
55g chocolate

bittered to 24IBU with saaz, and just cause I had some styrian, I threw them in at flameout, just to throw it out of style :lol:
I used a fresh smackpack of Wy3522, and it went crazy. I top cropped off that, 100mL of yeast, and pitched it into my next beer of 1080, and it fermented out in less than 3 days. It is a vigourous yeast, but I will soon give 3787 a try to see how that goes.
May I echo the sentiments of many here, and say that it is an under appreciated beer, but may I give a HUGE thumbs up to Murray's Brewing Co for actually getting Asutralia's only commercially available belgian pale style out there and on the shop shelves. People out there may not know it is a belgian pale style, but it's the first step in getting a beer like this the recognition and acceptance it deserves
All the best
Trent

I've wondered for a while whether BPA would be a viable class, on its own, in ANAWBS (Australian National Amateur Wine and Beer Show).

Obviously there are some fans (warren, TDA, newguy, evil stu(ster) and me).

Short of throwing it to a another thread and a poll, just wondering how many people hitting this thread think they might be willing to brew for a comp class based solely on that style. I reckon it would be a great clas to judge, not that I am allowed to under bjcp rules (as comp organiser).

Gidday Wee Stu,

I would definately be in it if it becomes a class in ANAWBS :beerbang:

To those others brewing this style of beer, get your emails into Wyeast requesting they re-release the 3538 Leuven Ale Yeast as one of there VSS releases. You will not be dissapointed.

C&B
TDA

To those others brewing this style of beer, get your emails into Wyeast requesting they re-release the 3538 Leuven Ale Yeast as one of there VSS releases. You will not be dissapointed.

C&B
TDA

Did that TDA.

For the benefit of the masses this is the reply I received. Wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it anytime soon... I guess it really boils down to consumer demand. Our voice is obviously small. :(

Warren,

Thanks for the request! We have a number of strains buried deep in the archive that will see the light of day here in the next year or so. The 3538 Leuven Pale wont be back into rotation for a little while, so in the mean time I would suggest you trying our 3522 Belgian Ardennes strain. This should be perfect for that Belgian style beer that you will be brewing. If you have any need for assistance, please dont hesitate to drop me a line. Thanks and happy brewing!!

Brian Perkey

Wyeast Laboratories

Warren -

I'am sad to say especially now after reading how great the leuven pale ale yeast is that I wasted mine, damn.
Got a pack and smacked it and planned to brew a pale ale but got in a rut and didn't brew for awhile so shoved it back in the cool room only to find it months and months later exploded.
Might be able to scrap a dried sample of it off the roof if anyone wants it? extra funk thrown in for free :lol:

Excellent choice of style of the week, I really shouldn't speak here after what i just admitted too since the yeast is not available anymore.

snipped>

Belgian Pale ale is not really a proper style as far as Belgian brewers are concerned.

Brew like a monk sums it up nicely in chapter ten fairly in depth I think in how he calls it the 's' word and how helpfull they are for comunicating in words different types of beer. :lol:
In that respect I think its just as much a style of beer as any other and i don't think anyone could argue with that.
As far as belgian brewers I don't think the old school ones would think of any beer as actually a style, its just a beer that they have been making for as long as they can remember and been past down to them etc etc.

snipped>
I reckon it would be a great clas to judge, not that I am allowed to under bjcp rules (as comp organiser).

I think there is a way a organiser can be allowed if I recall as long as you don't know who has entered that class and whos beers they are if I remember rightly.

I've wondered for a while whether BPA would be a viable class, on its own, in ANAWBS (Australian National Amateur Wine and Beer Show).

Obviously there are some fans (warren, TDA, newguy, evil stu(ster) and me).

I think it's a great idea. There seem to be a fair number of Belgians being brewed these days, with the popularity of Belgian beers ATM. There are several kits on the market that suggest that it's not just an AHB or just an AG thing.

Mash paddle? :beerbang:

I seem to remember BPA was a beer style thrown up in the air after last years mash paddle as a great beer for that comp.

I think its a great idea.

Brew like a monk sums it up nicely in chapter ten fairly in depth I think in how he calls it the 's' word and how helpfull they are for comunicating in words different types of beer. :lol:
In that respect I think its just as much a style of beer as any other and i don't think anyone could argue with that.
As far as belgian brewers I don't think the old school ones would think of any beer as actually a style, its just a beer that they have been making for as long as they can remember and been past down to them etc etc.

Good points. I thought that BLAM explanation was great. It really nailed how styles are important, but why they shouldn't stop brewers doing what they want. :D

I think there is a way a organiser can be allowed if I recall as long as you don't know who has entered that class and whos beers they are if I remember rightly.
I seem to remember BPA was a beer style thrown up in the air after last years mash paddle as a great beer for that comp.

I think its a great idea.

Having recently lodged the ANAWBS BJCP report (hopefully your points have been notified to you Jayse) as organiser, judging seems strictly verboten. Leastways you can't get any points for it.

The Mash Paddle for 2008 is currently the subject of some intense (and as yet confidential) debate B)

Whether it secures the paddle or not, I am encouraged to think there may be room for considering BPA as one of the 3 or 4 new style specific (whether BPA is actually a style or not!!) classes for ANAWBS 2008. I sense it is a class we wouldn't have too much difficulty recruiting judges for ;)

Having never brewed a Belgian before is the BPA a good introductory beer to this style? Only tasted a belgian once a couple of years ago. My mate had one and gave me a taste. It was in a white bottle and was very bugglegummy and very strong. No idea what it was called. Anyway thinking of brewing something different from my usual apa's, bitters and pilsners. Actually just remembered kabooby and another chap had a couple of Belgians in last years NSW Xmas Case. They were beautiful. Is the WLP that kabooby used a good start or should I try one of the wyeasts?
Cheers
Steve

Hey Steve,

Belgian Pale ale is a great place to start. The WLP550 yeast I used would be great for a BPA.

I haven't tried any of the Wyeast Belgian strains, but I am sure they would do a great job.

I am planning on Brewing this one soon

Batch Size: 40.00 L
Boil Size: 49.61 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 23.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)Grain 81.40 %
1.00 kg Vienna Malt (Joe White) (12.0 EBC) Grain 11.63 %
0.30 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3.49 %
0.30 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 3.49 %
30.00 gm Target [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.5 IBU
25.00 gm Fuggles [6.10 %] (15 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) Yeast-Ale

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

Any comments on the below for a double batch of BPA?

6kg Wey Pils
1.5kg Munich I
0.5kg BB Wheat
0.5kg Marris Otter
0.5kg Vienna
0.3kg Brown Sugar
0.05kg Roast Malt

EKG @ 45 mins and Liberty at 10 mins to 25 IBU's

WLP550

How does this sound? Go easy please.
Cheers
Steve

Having just brewed a BPA for my 2nd All grain attempt, I'd like to try it against a commercial version, but the ones listed are a bit hard to come by.
Anyone know of any others easily found at Dan's or 1st Choice?

Having just brewed a BPA for my 2nd All grain attempt, I'd like to try it against a commercial version, but the ones listed are a bit hard to come by.
Anyone know of any others easily found at Dan's or 1st Choice?
Try the paler LaTrappe or Chimay ales, as there is no BPA style. Also, you could have a go at the Unibroue range of beer, especially the Maudite!

Must have missed your recipe earlier, Steve. I'd say that the couple I've made have been clear and were fine to drink more or less straight away but did improve a little with age as well.

Edit: Where's your post gone, Steve? :blink:

Must have missed your recipe earlier, Steve. I'd say that the couple I've made have been clear and were fine to drink more or less straight away but did improve a little with age as well.

Edit: Where's your post gone, Steve? :blink:

I deleted it as I read your very first post with the description. It answered my question.
Cheers though!
Steve

Having a go at my first Belgian on the weekend

Your thoughts and what is the best way to use this yeast

Belgian Pale
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 16/11/2008
Style: Belgian Pale Ale Brewer: Rook
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Volume: 33.60 L Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 75.0 %
0.70 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (22.0 EBC) Grain 11.7 %
0.50 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (7.0 EBC) Grain 8.3 %
0.30 kg Caraamber (Weyermann) (70.9 EBC) Grain 5.0 %
50.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.30%] (90 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [2.00%] (15 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522) Yeast-Wheat

Mash at 65c

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.053 SG (1.048-1.054 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.013 SG (1.010-1.014 SG)
Estimated Color: 14.0 EBC (15.8-27.6 EBC)
Bitterness: 26.3 IBU (20.0-30.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.1 % (4.8-5.5 %)

Rook

Try the paler LaTrappe or Chimay ales, as there is no BPA style. Also, you could have a go at the Unibroue range of beer, especially the Maudite!

No BPA style, Les? What about DeKoninck, or, dare I say, Murrays Sassy Blonde? Both thoroughly enjoyable beers. Shame on you...
T.
EDIT PS Rook - the recipe looks good, I would up the chloride and drop the gypsum a little, but thats just me (and I would omit the epsom salts). I would pitch the yeast at about 21C and let it ferment out at 22 or 23C.

Looks nice Rook...

As for the Ardennes yeast? Pitch it at 22 degrees and let it rise over a couple of days to 25 degrees (otherwise it can be a lazy performer). When the krausen drops you could even raise it a couple of more degrees to finish if you want.

Warren -

Latest posts

Back