Style Of The Week 24/10/07 - Belgian Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Wyeast Site.

One of many great beer yeast to produce classic Belgian ales. Phenolics develop with increased fermentation temperatures, mild fruitiness and complex spicy character.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 72-76%
Temperature Range: 65-85 F (18-29 C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 12% ABV

Nice.

Hi All,

I'm intending on brewing this recipe below this weekend. It's based as close to a Brewing Classic Styles recipe as possible.

I really wanted to use the 3522 yeast, but can't the HBS is out at the moment.
Wyeast suggest 3942 Belgian Wheat as a replacement. The write up doesnt seem as appealing to me. But if I did use this I could do a Wit Beer after. Any good in a Wit?

The recipe actually called for the Luven ale I think (dont have the book on me at the moment). And as everyone seems to love it, maybe I should try the 3787, which Ive read here is suppose to be the replacement.

My worry with the 3787 is that it mentions intense esters etc. Brewing Classic Styles mentions that the esters should be restrained.

Should I use the 3787 and just ferment it at a lower temp.

Sorry for the rant. Just got lots of thoughts, and have never brewed a Belgian before.

Cheers,
Al

Recipe: Belgian Pale
Brewer: Al
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 29.04 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 8.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.10 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 91.89 %
0.34 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (63.0 SRM) Grain 6.13 %
0.11 kg Amber Malt, Bairds (60.9 SRM) Grain 1.98 %
48.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (60 min) Hops 26.2 IBU
9.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (0 min) (AroHops -
1 Pkgs Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522) Yeast-Wheat

I've never used the 3942 yeast so I'm not much use to you, although I have read some positive results from others who've used it. I think the 3787 at cooler temps should work well though. I'd start it cool and then let it warm up so that you get it to finish in a reasonable time.

The recipe looks good to me. Tasty without going overboard. :icon_cheers:

3787 at 19C .. lubbely jubbely in my experience.

Wyeast suggest 3942 Belgian Wheat as a replacement. The write up doesnt seem as appealing to me. But if I did use this I could do a Wit Beer after. Any good in a Wit?

3942 Will be nice in either beer. Has some nice delicate plummy/fruit esters and leaves a lot of malt character. From memory it's the De Dolle strain ??

Warren -

Cheers guys,

I'm thinking i'll go down the 3787 path. Sounds alright. Maybe i'll do a Dubbel next to make the most out of the yeast.

Time to place the order.

Thanks heaps guys.

I've just bottled my BPA in which I used 1762 Belgian Abby Ale II, fermented at the low end of the temp range, just to be different (actually, I got it from a recipe book). Saved the yeast cake for a Belgian Golden Strong, methinks. Should be interesting. Anyone else tried 1762 in a BPA?

Edit: Speelung.

Sorry QB, can't help you with that one.

Beerbelly was out of 3787 as well, so i ended up calling jovial monk, and got some 3522 from him which is what i was originally intending to use anyway, so all is okay.

This Wyeast is an Activator pack, and says to use just the one pack. But Brewing Classic Styles suggest a 2Lt starter. Is it actually worth the effort of the 2Lt starter for this yeast?
The yeast is freash, made January 12.

Also, whilst i've got your attention. What other styles have people used 3522 in with good results?
Wyeast says it can be used in:
Belgian Blond Ale
Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Belgian Dubbel
Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Belgian Pale Ale
Belgian Specialty Ale
Belgian Tripel
Flanders Brown Ale/Oud Bruin
so looks like i've got a lot of beers i can make.

Cheers,
Al

Sorry QB, can't help you with that one.

Beerbelly was out of 3787 as well, so i ended up calling jovial monk, and got some 3522 from him which is what i was originally intending to use anyway, so all is okay.

This Wyeast is an Activator pack, and says to use just the one pack. But Brewing Classic Styles suggest a 2Lt starter. Is it actually worth the effort of the 2Lt starter for this yeast?
The yeast is freash, made January 12.

Also, whilst i've got your attention. What other styles have people used 3522 in with good results?
Wyeast says it can be used in:
Belgian Blond Ale
Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Belgian Dubbel
Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Belgian Pale Ale
Belgian Specialty Ale
Belgian Tripel
Flanders Brown Ale/Oud Bruin
so looks like i've got a lot of beers i can make.

Cheers,
Al

Al,

If yo go back a page you will see my recipe for a BPA and i used 3522 and didn't make a starter. Pitched the fresh packet straight in. I then dumped a Dubbel onto a cup full of the yeast cake.

Others more experienced may advise differently

Good Luck

Rook

I am drinking this at the moment and I would have to say its the best beer I have made in a very very long time.

#86 Belgian Pale Ale
Belgian Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 24/02/2009
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 31.86 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: My Gear
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU

5000.00 gm Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston)
500.00 gm Caramunich II (Weyermann)
100.00 gm Amber Malt
35.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 16.1 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (40 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.60 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.90 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.34 %
Bitterness: 25.6 IBU Calories: 464 cal/l
Est Color: 17.9 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 5600.00 gm
Sparge Water: 12.47 L Grain Temperature: 15.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 15.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 73.2 C 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 93.1 C 76.0 C

I've just bottled my BPA in which I used 1762 Belgian Abby Ale II, fermented at the low end of the temp range, just to be different (actually, I got it from a recipe book). Saved the yeast cake for a Belgian Golden Strong, methinks. Should be interesting. Anyone else tried 1762 in a BPA?
Just opened one to celebrate my 500th post... this one... I know, self-fulfilling celebration. Stuff it. :beerbang:

My beers carbed up so much faster during the heat-wave. Not quite ready. Taste is probably a little too 'belgian' for the style, which I can likely attribute to the yeast. Otherwise I'm happy. This will certainly be a nice quaffer.

Hey QB, just curious what temperature did you fermented at?

I'm thinking about heading home and having a brew day to make my belgian pale ale. I've worked too hard this week, so need some brew time.

I'm using 3522 if you want me to save a little of the 1st gen. Might make some slants.

Hey QB, just curious what temperature did you fermented at?
Brew log says 12 hours at each of 18*C, 19*C, 20*C, then the rest at 21*C. It could just be that it's still very young, and not fully carbonated. Time will tell. It would be interesting to see what this yeast does at the top of the temp range (up to 24*C IIRC). If I find a beer that particularly needs 3522 I'll get in touch, otherwise I'll be seeing what else I can make with this 1762. Cheers.

Having a go at my first Belgian on the weekend

Your thoughts and what is the best way to use this yeast

Belgian Pale
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 16/11/2008
Style: Belgian Pale Ale Brewer: Rook
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Volume: 33.60 L Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 75.0 %
0.70 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (22.0 EBC) Grain 11.7 %
0.50 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (7.0 EBC) Grain 8.3 %
0.30 kg Caraamber (Weyermann) (70.9 EBC) Grain 5.0 %
50.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.30%] (90 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [2.00%] (15 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc

Mash at 65c

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.053 SG (1.048-1.054 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.013 SG (1.010-1.014 SG)
Estimated Color: 14.0 EBC (15.8-27.6 EBC)
Bitterness: 26.3 IBU (20.0-30.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.1 % (4.8-5.5 %)

Rook

Making this on Sunday with a few mods due to what i have in stock. Munich I in place of the Munich II/Vienna. Bittering with styrians. Have 3522 on a stirplate now. 8 month old smackpack damn near exploded on me in 12 hours......

Playing around with salt additions and will likely adjust the water (rainwater) to have a profile similar to Antwerp.

Will be my first ever Belgian beer....... :eek:

Any Adelaide brewers have a BPA i could sample or know of a commercial version i can buy here?

Cheers
DrSmurto

Looks really good recipe, DrS. :icon_drool2:

Playing around with salt additions and will likely adjust the water (rainwater) to have a profile similar to Antwerp.

But why do this! :huh:

If you can get a hold of dekoninck I would try it before brewing this style. The beer is more malt focussed, quite biscuity, very well balanced, and there are minimal esters. Avoid those funky belgian yeast flavours!

I couldn't get enough of the stuff in Antwerp.

Not sure i understand Stuster.

I am using rainwater to brew with and it contains <0.1 ppm of any of the brewing ions.

Your thoughts?

Sorry if I wasn't clear (actually trying to work today which gets in the way of brewing discussions :angry: :lol: ).

I agree you need to add something to your water if you're using rainwater, just not sure you need to try to match the water from a particular region. I try to add ions to do something in particular, other than just getting enough calcium in there for the mash. So getting the sulphate:chloride balance to emphasise malt or hops. What is Antwerp like and does it help you get what you want out of the beer?

Fair call

Antwerp
Ca 90
CO3 76
Cl 57
Mg 11
Na 37
SO4 84

Cant recall exactly what i planned to add as beersmith is at home.

Only started down the road of water additions so the few beers i have made so far have been APAs and a big IPA - added CaSO4 plus a bit of MgSO4. Then a stout which i added CaCO3, NaCl and a small amount of MgSO4.

I add the Mg for yeast health more than anything. The CaSO4 in the hoppy beers was to enhance the bitterness, the CaCO3 in the stout to balance the dark malts and reduce the pH in the mash tun. The NaCl was to round out the flavours.

This is the first pale beer i have brewed with rainwater which is balanced towards the malt.

Back