Style Of The Week 24/10/07 - Belgian Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
A beer that's easy to make in the heat and great to drink in the heat as well. Belgian Pale ale is not really a proper style as far as Belgian brewers are concerned, but it's a handy term to cover those lower gravity beers that Belgian breweries make. Since they are lower gravity than many Belgian beers, they make better session beers (unless you enjoy waking up in the front garden :p ).

So what are your experiences with this style? Grains? Hops? Yeasts? Extract and bits? Kits (fresh wort or otherwise)? Commercial examples available here?

Some links
Jamil's show on BPAs
NY Times article on BPAs

Tell us all you know so we can make some stunning beers. :chug:

From here.

16B. Belgian Pale Ale

Aroma: Prominent aroma of malt with moderate fruity character and low hop aroma. Toasty, biscuity malt aroma. May have an orange- or pear-like fruitiness though not as fruity/citrusy as many other Belgian ales. Distinctive floral or spicy, low to moderate strength hop character optionally blended with background level peppery, spicy phenols. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Amber to copper in color. Clarity is very good. Creamy, rocky, white head often fades more quickly than other Belgian beers.

Flavor: Fruity and lightly to moderately spicy with a soft, smooth malt and relatively light hop character and low to very low phenols. May have an orange- or pear-like fruitiness, though not as fruity/citrusy as many other Belgian ales. Has an initial soft, malty sweetness with a toasty, biscuity, nutty malt flavor. The hop flavor is low to none. The hop bitterness is medium to low, and is optionally complemented by low amounts of peppery phenols. There is a moderately dry to moderately sweet finish, with hops becoming more pronounced in those with a drier finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-light body. Alcohol level is restrained, and any warming character should be low if present. No hot alcohol or solventy character. Medium carbonation.

Overall Impression: A fruity, moderately malty, somewhat spicy, easy-drinking, copper-colored ale.

History: Produced by breweries with roots as far back as the mid-1700s, the most well-known examples were perfected after the Second World War with some influence from Britain, including hops and yeast strains.

Comments: Most commonly found in the Flemish provinces of Antwerp and Brabant. Considered "everyday" beers (Category I). Compared to their higher alcohol Category S cousins, they are Belgian "session beers" for ease of drinking. Nothing should be too pronounced or dominant; balance is the key.

Ingredients: Pilsner or pale ale malt contributes the bulk of the grist with (cara) Vienna and Munich malts adding color, body and complexity. Candi sugar is not commonly used as a high gravity is not desired. Noble hops, Styrian Goldings, East Kent Goldings or Fuggles are commonly used. Yeasts prone to moderate production of phenols are often used but fermentation temperatures should be kept moderate to limit this character.
Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.048 - 1.054 1.010 - 1.014 20 - 30 8 - 14 4.8 - 5.5%

Commercial Examples: De Koninck, Speciale Palm, Dobble Palm, Ginder Ale, Op-Ale, Vieux-Temps, Brewer's Art House Pale Ale, Ommegang Rare Vos (unusual in its 6.5% ABV strength)

Aha!! What a perfect springboard to launch a campaign for Wyeast to bring back 3538 Leuven Pale Ale. Great strain for this style but sadly discontinued. Also tried TDA's Flyblown Blonde made with the very same strain. Was superb.

This recipe worked exceptionally well for me. :)

Alimenter le Spcial de Rue

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

16-B Belgian & French Ale, Belgian Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.054
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 20 Max Clr: 36 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 47.00 Wort Size (L): 47.00
Total Grain (kg): 9.60
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.97
Anticipated EBC: 15.7
Anticipated IBU: 27.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6.3 0.60 kg. Weyermann Caramunich I Germany 1.036 100
31.3 3.00 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 4
52.1 5.00 kg. Baird's Golden Promise Pale A UK 1.037 7
10.4 1.00 kg. Baird's Maris Otter Pale Ale UK 1.037 7

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
57.20 g. Styrian Goldings Plug 4.50 0.0 0 min.
50.00 g. Fuggle Pellet 7.20 25.2 60 min.
14.30 g. Goldings - Kent Plug 5.20 1.0 10 min.
14.30 g. Styrian Goldings Plug 4.50 0.8 10 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3538 Leuven Pale Ale

Warren -

DSC01756.JPG

A sadly underappreciated style. Here's a very simple recipe that earned me a gold medal this past June. Enjoy.

40 litre batch.

5.85 kg Cargill special pale malt (any pale 2 row malt will do - thiis particular malt is just a tiny shade darker than ordinary pale malt)
2.79 kg munich malt

Doughed in with 30 litres of water, mashed @ 150F (65.6C) 80 minutes, brought up to 167F (75C) for mashout. Sparged with 35.5 litres of water @ 75C.

90 minute boil.

77 g East Kent Goldings pellets (aa = 5.5%) for 90 minutes (23 IBU).

OG 1.056
FG 1.012

Wyeast 3864 Canadian Belgian pitched @ 72F (22C). Fermented @ 20 - 22C 21 days, then kegged & force carbonated.

I am in thorough agreeance with Warren. The Leuven Ale yeast makes a cracker of a beer and this BPA I made below did not last more than 2 weeks in the keg back in March during some hot Adelaide weather.
I recommend using plugs or flowers as well to add some more oomph to the flavour of your BPA's. Combined with the spiciness of the yeast it was a really nice drop IMHO :D

1.50 kg JW Vienna Malt
1.50 kg Weyermann Pilsner
1.00 kg BB Galaxy Pale Malt
1.00 kg Weyermann Munich I
0.20 kg Weyermann Caraamber
36.00 gm EKG's [5.80%] (60 min) Plugs 25.0 IBU
40.00 gm Hersbrucker [2.50%] (15 min) Plugs 3.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Leuven Ale Yeast(Wyeast Labs) Yeast-Ale

OG 1049
IBU's 28.2
23 litre batch.

I have another Belgian Pale conditioning in the fridge as we speak, this time using the Schelde Ale yeast. The yeast gave me really good attenuation so I am expecting the resulting brew will be a great thirst quencher.

Favourite Lady Pale Belgian
Belgian Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 9/10/2007
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Mark Rasheed
Boil Size: 30.3 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Marks Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg JWM Export Pilsner (3.9 EBC) Grain 67.3 %
1.00 kg Weyermann Vienna (7.9 EBC) Grain 19.2 %
0.50 kg Weyermann Munich II (23.6 EBC) Grain 9.6 %
0.20 kg Weyermann Melanoidin (70.9 EBC) Grain 3.8 %
42.00 gm Styrian Goldings Plugs [4.60%] (60 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
28.00 gm Styrian Goldings Plugs [4.60%] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Schelde Ale (Wyeast Labs) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Bitterness: 27.2 IBU
Est Color: 13.0 EBC

I have brewed two other belgian Pale Ales always keeping the OG around the 1050 mark.
With one of them I used around 5% sugar in the grist and the 1388 Strong Belgian Ale yeast.
That brew wound up far too dry, almost like a megaswill lager. I think sugar or any of those
adjuncts such as honey or candy syrup are NOT suited to these beers. Let the yeast do it's thing.
The other brew was made with 1762 and IIRC I home roasted some malt as well. I will check my
recipe database when I get home and post that. It was well received by some well known Adelaide
brewers.

A great style for summer methinks :beer: .

C&B
TDA

Edit: Spelling

That looks great, Warren. What did you get from this yeast, then?

This was one I did a while ago. Basically modelled on one by Randy Mosher. A bit out of style :unsure: :lol: due to the spices and the sugar. I can't imagine using that much melanoidin now, but this one came out very nicely IMO.

Belgian Pale Ale
1.8kg JW Trad Ale
1.4kg Powells Munich
450g Hoepfner Melanoidin
150g JW Crystal 145EBC
680g Cane Sugar, cooked up in saucepan until browning occurs
NZ Hallertau Organic 25g@60
Styrian Goldings 25g@15
Zest of two oranges, 1 star anise, 11g ground coriander seeds

Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale
Batch size 23L
OG 1047
FG 1006
IBU 26
EBC 18

Edit: I think you are right about the sugar, TDA. The only thing that saved this beer from dryness was probably the large amount of melanoidin and having cooked the sugar. When I make a BPA again, I'll probably go for something much more like yours and Warren's. Styrians are great in this style though IMO.

That looks great, Warren. What did you get from this yeast, then?

Good restrained fruitiness and spicy, subtle clovey phenols for complexity. Think its greatest asset was the great attenuation. Made a very crisp Belgian Pale that combined with Styrian Golding plugs was a great summer beer.

Just haven't found a Belgian strain similar really. <_< Dunno what Wyeast were thinking.

Warren -

Warren and TDA,

As someone who has never brewed anything Belgian yet, what yeasts would you now use that the Leuven Ale is no longer available. I assume the T58 would be the dried choice, but what's the first one you reach for now when making a Belgian Pale?

This is on my to do list for this summer. I was also toying with the idea of submitting one to the NSW Xmas 2007 case swap.

Cheers,
Thommo.

Warren and TDA,

As someone who has never brewed anything Belgian yet, what yeasts would you now use that the Leuven Ale is no longer available. I assume the T58 would be the dried choice, but what's the first one you reach for now when making a Belgian Pale?

This is on my to do list for this summer. I was also toying with the idea of submitting one to the NSW Xmas 2007 case swap.

Cheers,
Thommo.

Hey Thommo. Probably second in line for me would be Wyeast 3522 (Belgian Ardennes). Never tried T58.

Warren -

Warren and TDA,

Cheers,
Thommo.

Thommo, I've brewed 4 Belgian Pales with 4 different yeasts. I would probably start with the 1762 as it is a good yeast to use in some of your trappist type beers as well. If you can wait I could tell you what the Schelde yeast is like and possibly send a sample off to you to try.
I will be emailing Wyeast again and ask them to "BRING BACK THE LEUVEN"

C&B
TDA

I've made a BPA with the Schelde yeast (thanks to neonmeate for the yeast :) ). It was a very nice yeast IMO, relatively clean for a Belgian yeast with lots of biscuity/toasty flavours. Worked very well IMO. I used it on a double batch, half with a saison yeast and half with this one. Completely different beers, and this one was balanced much more towards the malt, even though it attenuated very well.

Schelde Pale Ale
3kg JW Trad ale
2kg W'mann Vienna
2kg JW Wheat
100g W'mann acidulated
100g JW Crystal wheat
Mashed at 64C.
4g CaSO4 for mash, 6g CaSO4 for kettle
Mt. Hood (3.7%) 30g@FWH
Magnum (13.0%) 30g@60
Mt. Hood 20g@15, 50g@FO
Wyeast 3655 Schelde ale
Batch size 38L
OG 1053
FG 1006

EBC 10.6
IBU 32.4

Have not brewed a BPA before but just used the WLP550 for a Belgian I did for the NSW xmas case. The white labs site says its good for a lot of belgian styles.

WLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast
Saisons, Belgian Ales, Belgian Reds, Belgian Browns, and White beers are just a few of the classic Belgian beer styles that can be created with this yeast strain. Phenolic and spicy flavors dominate the profile, with less fruitiness then WLP500.
Attenuation: 78-85%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-78F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

Kabooby :)

I've wondered for a while whether BPA would be a viable class, on its own, in ANAWBS (Australian National Amateur Wine and Beer Show).

Obviously there are some fans (warren, TDA, newguy, evil stu(ster) and me).

Short of throwing it to a another thread and a poll, just wondering how many people hitting this thread think they might be willing to brew for a comp class based solely on that style. I reckon it would be a great clas to judge, not that I am allowed to under bjcp rules (as comp organiser).

I've wondered for a while whether BPA would be a viable class, on its own, in ANAWBS (Australian National Amateur Wine and Beer Show).

I think it's a great idea. There seem to be a fair number of Belgians being brewed these days, with the popularity of Belgian beers ATM. There are several kits on the market that suggest that it's not just an AHB or just an AG thing.

Mash paddle? :beerbang:

Have been considering one of these for a while - interesting thread.

The Wyeast site list the 3787 as the replacement for the Leuven

Any comments on that Waren? Have you tried the 3787?

Cheers

RM

I kegged this back in Feb this year, the last keg went last week. :( I managed to get 6 bottles out of it just before it went and their still in the fridge. :D
50% Pils malt
20% Light munich
20% Dark munich
5% melanoidin
5% C/munich 1
60 gms cascade @ 60mins
30 gms cascade @ 20mins
WLP500 Trappist ale yeast @ 18 degrees
Dry hopped with 1 plug of Hallertau Mitt in each keg for 7 days.
BU 34.7 GU 54 Ratio 0.64

I got the recipe from the Northern Brewer web site. Phat tyre amber ale.
Lovely malt flavour and hops. :p

Any comments on that Waren? Have you tried the 3787?

Cheers

RM

Only used 3787 once RM. To be honest with you the resultant beer wasn't too flash (Trappist). That being said it could well have been brewer error. :blink:

Warren -

Only used 3787 once RM. To be honest with you the resultant beer wasn't too flash (Trappist). That being said it could well have been brewer error. :blink:

Warren -

We brew a commercial version of the style and ours has improved considerably since moving to the Wyeast 3787. Definitely worth a try in this style in my opinion.

Shawn.

Obviously there are some fans (warren, TDA, newguy, evil stu(ster) and me).

Short of throwing it to a another thread and a poll, just wondering how many people hitting this thread think they might be willing to brew for a comp class based solely on that style. I reckon it would be a great clas to judge, not that I am allowed to under bjcp rules (as comp organiser).

Not sure if I would be interested in brewing for a comp Stu (?) but would like to encourage all possible interest in this thread as I reckon BPA deserves more recognition & I need more recipe ideas for the future. :D
Have just put down a BPA last Monday week using 3538 & another using SafBrew S33 last Monday. Am lucky enough to have 6 tubes of first generation 3538 Leuven left & you don't have to own acreage to be a (yeast) farmer. :lol:
Really like this yeast so send that email to Wyeast WAD TDA.
Warren --- never tried the 3522 B.Ardennes yet but intend to.

TP :beer:

Back