Style Of The Week 19/03/08 - Oatmeal Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on my oatmeal stout (as per post #18).

This brew was bottled to allow a goodly portion to age. Well, I thought it tasted pretty good after only a few wks after bottling. Boy, what a difference after 3 mths. This stuff has mellowed and is now tasting beauuuuuutiful. Roasty and a fantastic chocolately flavour. When it pours it's almost oil like. So smooth. Not only my best ever stout, but by miles. :D

The only thing I'd like to improve is the head retention. It pours with a good head, but the retention isn't all that flash. Not really sure why - maybe it's the effect of 10% oats :unsure:

Stubbie.

Bump :icon_cheers:

So anyone used malted oats yet? Ive acquired some and keen to do a good oatmeal stout, thinking 15% oats, allthough tempted to go to 20%?? Too far??

Also, as a starting point for my recipe, I want something richer than bill gates, so heres what ive come up with but im still noob as with dark beers so keen for some feedback?

25% Global Kolsch
20% Global Vienna
20% Global Munich
15% Malted Oats
6% Global CaraDark
6% Cara Aroma
4% Roast Barley
2% Black
2% Melanoiden - will I need this? :unsure:

Got this one going through my head at the moment...

74% Base
12% Oats (the quick variety)
5% Roasted barley
5% Choc malt (dare I use my choc chit? or save that for a special brew :) )
4% Dark Crystal

1.056 and 35 IBU (northern brewer @60). Mashing at 67.

Now, I was originally considering going for some 1469 to ferment this one out with...but, all the cool kids seem to chucking in a belgian or saison yeast into their beers...so I might go with 3711. Apart from the choice of yeast, how is this recipe looking? Does it need more bitterness?

Cheers
Phil

Got this one going through my head at the moment...

74% Base
12% Oats (the quick variety)
5% Roasted barley
5% Choc malt (dare I use my choc chit? or save that for a special brew :) )
4% Dark Crystal

1.056 and 35 IBU (northern brewer @60). Mashing at 67.

Now, I was originally considering going for some 1469 to ferment this one out with...but, all the cool kids seem to chucking in a belgian or saison yeast into their beers...so I might go with 3711. Apart from the choice of yeast, how is this recipe looking? Does it need more bitterness?

Cheers
Phil

I had planned on having an oatmeal stout on tap for this weekends gathering but haven't managed to free up a keg. I'll pour of a few tasters out of the cc cube for you to taste.

It's an oatmeal version of Warrens 3 shades bulked up to OG 1.052 and 40 IBU - Link

I'd personally save the choc chit for something that will highlight it, say an english brown or brown porter. The recipe looks fine to me, I'll happily help you drink it :icon_cheers:

And while you are up here you can take my choc chit as i don't like it.

Mmmm choc chit - I've got probably the last 3k in the world sealed up tighter than a fish's proverbial, in my freezer :rolleyes:
I've just bottled one off for the QABC a few days ago and had a sneaky last night, turning out very drinkable so far.

4000 BB Ale
750 quick oats
500 Roast Barley
330 Carapils
250 Choc Chit
250 Amber Malt
200 Caraaroma 67 degrees 90 min

45 Progress 6.3%AA 60 min
15 Styrians 10 min

150 moist brown sugar
Wyeast Irish 1084

:icon_cheers:

Edit: doc, I've found Choc Chit to be great in a darker Yorkie such as a John Smiths or Camerons of Hartlepool. Used it in the stout as the BJCP mentions "chocolate and cream" :icon_drool2:

Thanks for reviving the post guys - I am very keen to do an oatmeal stout for my next brew - does anyone have a tried and tested OS recipe for Extract or Partial?

Problem with extract or, to a degree, partial is that the oats need to be mashed with a fairly high diastatic grain malt to convert the oats - you could probably get away with it using a fairly diastatic malt such as 2 kilos of Barrett Burston Ale with 750g of quick oats. Australian malt extract is AFAIK non diastatic. In the UK you can get diastatic malt extract - if you have ever heard the old brand name "EDME" that stands for Essex Diastatic Malt Extract.
So I don't see how you could do an extract version. I was down at Craftbrewer on Sunday and jokingly talked about an oats extract essence and apparently there is one, but I forget which one they said, maybe you could use a spoonful of that as a 'fudge' exercise :p

Edit: if you Google Diastatic Malt Extract you'll see that Muntons do a couple but mostly aimed at bakers - dunno if you could get it over here.

Mmmm choc chit - I've got probably the last 3k in the world sealed up tighter than a fish's proverbial, in my freezer :rolleyes:
I've just bottled one off for the QABC a few days ago and had a sneaky last night, turning out very drinkable so far.

4000 BB Ale
750 quick oats
500 Roast Barley
330 Carapils
250 Choc Chit
250 Amber Malt
200 Caraaroma 67 degrees 90 min

45 Progress 6.3%AA 60 min
15 Styrians 10 min

150 moist brown sugar
Wyeast Irish 1084

:icon_cheers:

Edit: doc, I've found Choc Chit to be great in a darker Yorkie such as a John Smiths or Camerons of Hartlepool. Used it in the stout as the BJCP mentions "chocolate and cream" :icon_drool2:

Bribie, I'm still farting about with the recipe, but I'll be bunging one down in the next week, I was only going to use 350gm Oats but that just seems girly after looking at your qtys. so I might have to man up. I'll post up the recipe after I've nailed it, def using Wyeast 3711 though 'cause its cool.

Doing one today

77.5% Simpsons MO
5% Roast barley
5% Pale choc
5% Simpsons golden naked oats
7.5% Quick oats.

Galena 60

I always add all my dark malts at the last 15 mins, so for salts, i've gone 16g cal chl ( double batch ) and some citric ( always add some ). Im not sure if this will have an effect on the dryness, but my milds come out dry so, we'll see. Our water is fairly soft.

33 IBU

1968 or 1469.

Thos one won me "Best of Show" at the Australian Nationals

Halfluck - Oatmeal Stout (Oatmeal Stout)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.055 (P): 13.6
Colour (SRM): 42.4 (EBC): 83.5
Bitterness (IBU): 30.4 (Average)

72.89% TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
7.71% Flaked Oats
5.82% JWM Amber Malt
5.82% JWM Chocolate Malt
3.88% JWM Crystal 140
3.88% JWM Roast Barley

2.3 g/L Goldings - E.K. (4.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

Full Recipe ==> http://www.brewmate.net/recipes/DPhHq4CGSFbHq2wAaFLH.xml

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Cheers Rob :icon_cheers:

Jesus mate, i'll keep that recipe in mind when i do another!! Thanks for sharing mate.

First time I did an oatmeal , I ended up with a slow sparge ( not quite stuck ) because I didn't pre cook or gelatinize the oats..it will also help the beta glutans work better...
I did cook them in the microwave and as brew day would have it , used them for a slight temp correction .
I do like an oatmeal stout....

First time I did an oatmeal , I ended up with a slow sparge ( not quite stuck ) because I didn't pre cook or gelatinize the oats..it will also help the beta glutans work better...
I did cook them in the microwave and as brew day would have it , used them for a slight temp correction .
I do like an oatmeal stout....

Hey mate i used quick oats, as ran off as fast as hell, no worries whatsoever. Was a few points up on my gravity, which is always a good thing hehe.

Hey guys, my oatmeal stout is very nice, but it has no bloody head at all?!!. I used quick oats, should i have done a cereal mash??. Tastes nice though.

Going to have a crack at my first Oatmeal Stout on the weekend. Hoping for a big silky smoothness that the style can have, but also aiming for a roasty, chocolate taste and a slightly sweet finish. Using up what I have in the larder, does this grain bill seem overcomplicated ? Maybe the biscuit malt and the light crystal is a waste and will be buried under the other flavours.

26L batch

3500.00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1000.00 gm Pilsner Malt
750.00 gm Oats, Flaked
230.00 gm Chocolate Malt
200.00 gm Roasted Barley
100.00 gm Biscuit Malt
100.00 gm Brown Malt
100.00 gm Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
100.00 gm Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L

Mash @ 68c

Hops will be Fuggles (havent decided on the scedule yet) and fermenting with either WY1084 Irish Ale or WLP005 British Ale

Hey guys, my oatmeal stout is very nice, but it has no bloody head at all?!!. I used quick oats, should i have done a cereal mash??. Tastes nice though.

That does happen with oats, try and get the most out of the other malts etc rather then thinking the oats will do it

Going to have a crack at my first Oatmeal Stout on the weekend. Hoping for a big silky smoothness that the style can have, but also aiming for a roasty, chocolate taste and a slightly sweet finish. Using up what I have in the larder, does this grain bill seem overcomplicated ? Maybe the biscuit malt and the light crystal is a waste and will be buried under the other flavours.

26L batch

3500.00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1000.00 gm Pilsner Malt
750.00 gm Oats, Flaked
230.00 gm Chocolate Malt
200.00 gm Roasted Barley
100.00 gm Biscuit Malt
100.00 gm Brown Malt
100.00 gm Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
100.00 gm Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L

Mash @ 68c

Hops will be Fuggles (havent decided on the scedule yet) and fermenting with either WY1084 Irish Ale or WLP005 British Ale
A few things I notice but to drunk to be of help.

Back