Style Of The Week 19/03/08 - Oatmeal Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at an oat stout also for Saturday.

Must be the right time for it.

Type: All grain Size: 30 liters
Color: 165 HCU (~49 SRM)
Bitterness: 30 IBU
OG: 1.057 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 5.8% v/v (4.6% w/w)
Grain: 6kg Simpsons MO
300g Briess Victory
200g Simpsons dark crystal
300g Simpsons chocolate
200g JSimpsons black patent
600g Roasted barley
500g Simpsons Golden naked oats (toasted)
Mash: 70% efficiency, 67 degrees, SI
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.041 42 liters
Hops: 75g Fuggles (4.75% AA, 60 min.)
Wy 1099

Water additions yet to be worked out but probably some CaCl2 (2 or 3 grams) and a gram or 2 of CaCO3

Critique welcomed

I'm looking at an oat stout also for Saturday.

Must be the right time for it.

Type: All grain Size: 30 liters
Color: 165 HCU (~49 SRM)
Bitterness: 30 IBU
OG: 1.057 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 5.8% v/v (4.6% w/w)
Grain: 6kg Simpsons MO
300g Briess Victory
200g Simpsons dark crystal
300g Simpsons chocolate
200g JSimpsons black patent
600g Roasted barley
500g Simpsons Golden naked oats (toasted)
Mash: 70% efficiency, 67 degrees, SI
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.041 42 liters
Hops: 75g Fuggles (4.75% AA, 60 min.)
Wy 1099

Water additions yet to be worked out but probably some CaCl2 (2 or 3 grams) and a gram or 2 of CaCO3

Critique welcomed

what are the percentages of your grains?

Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

BB ale 59%
Abbey 15%
Oats (quick) 10.0%
Choc 5%
Dark Crystal 4%
RB 4%
Brown Malt 2.0%
Amber 1.0%

Mashed at 66

60 min addition of Northern Brewer for 45 IBU

It's in the cube ATM, and unsure whether to go with some 1469 (that I would have to build up) or a us-05 yeast cake? What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Phil

74% MO
3.6% Victory
3.6% choc
2.5% black
2.5% dark crystal
7% Roast Barley
6% oats

Looks really roasty and tasty! Only thing I would think to change it: 1) less roast (since you have a good amount of the choc and black - you could lower it by 2%) 2) more oats (I love em). I was going to say increase the crystal, but your BU:GU and mash temp should give you balance.

Love oatmeal stouts and it is the right time to give em a roll. Are you adding your dark grains with your sparge water? Think I read that somewhere. Let us know how that goes.

Cheers
Phil

I'm looking at adding the dark grains in about ten minutes out from the end of the mash. Not sure whether to cold steep them first.

I'm also considering replacing some of the black with some carafa II and still toying a little with amounts of roast. If I do change them it will be a small change in a downwards direction as you suggest.

I will only have 500g of the naked but could look at adding in some rolled oats to push the oat level.

Cheers

Manticle, have you done this recipe before, and if so how would you describe the end result upon tasting ?

I might just plagiarise your recipe, replacing a few bits & peices to allow for what I have in stock.

Is 600g a shit load of roasted barley ? Having never used it, Im wary of too much 'burnt' flavours

Manticle, have you done this recipe before, and if so how would you describe the end result upon tasting ?

I might just plagiarise your recipe, replacing a few bits & peices to allow for what I have in stock.

Is 600g a shit load of roasted barley ? Having never used it, Im wary of too much 'burnt' flavours

Manticles recipe looks pretty good. The roast and black go well with the oats. No need to be a Nanna with the roast mate, trust me.

Manticles recipe looks pretty good. The roast and black go well with the oats. No need to be a Nanna with the roast mate, trust me.

Cheeky bugger, I'll put you over my knee one of these days, young Bradley. :lol:

Don't have any black patent, so I might as well go large on the roast barley for mine. I don't mind at all if it turns out a bit like Sheaf Stout - though I should go heavier on the chocolate as well.

Do you think a small addition of brown malt would be a waste, and would end up being buried under the other flavours?

Cheeky bugger, I'll put you over my knee one of these days, young Bradley. :lol:

Don't have any black patent, so I might as well go large on the roast barley for mine. I don't mind at all if it turns out a bit like Sheaf Stout - though I should go heavier on the chocolate as well.

Do you think a small addition of brown malt would be a waste, and would end up being buried under the other flavours?

Subbing the black for choc would be fine. Choc is quite roasty within itself. Black gives an ashy twist. i wouldnt worry about the brown but if you have some special B handy tht adds a nice malt compexity. Naked oats are great too i actually like munching on them whilst crushing the bill.

Cheers

74% MO
3.6% Victory
3.6% choc
2.5% black
2.5% dark crystal
7% Roast Barley
6% oats

Pretty similar to mine below, which I'm pretty happy with. I won't be changing this in a hurry. Roasting the oats until they give off that wonderful aroma of anzac biscuits is important, I think. Really helps mouthfeel, aroma and character.

Cheers

ToG

Recipe: MOFOall clear oatmeal stout
Brewer: Neil
Asst Brewer:
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 25.39 L
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 68.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 65 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 72.99 %
0.55 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 10.04 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 4.56 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 4.56 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 3.65 %
0.13 kg Roasted Barley (1270.0 EBC) Grain 2.37 %
0.10 kg Black (Patent) Malt (1200.0 EBC) Grain 1.82 %
65.00 gm Fuggles [5.10 %] (60 min) Hops 33.8 IBU
10.00 gm Fuggles [5.10 %] (10 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.29 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.48 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.44 L of water at 73.6 C 67.8 C
10 min Mash Out Add 8.00 L of water at 93.5 C 75.6 C

I have made an oatmeal stout once before but the recipe was slightly different. Probably similar but this particular one I designed today.

I've made a few stouts but mostly make cream stouts. The last oatmeal was good but I was playing with salt additions. Based on advice from others, I added sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate and would describe the end result as being a touch too salty. Have avoided sodium anything and bicarbonate anything since.

This one will get calcium chloride only since I'm adding the dark grains at the end of the mash and therefore have no need for carbonates.

As for 600g being a lot - batch size is 30L and I would add 500g to a 20-22 L batch of cream stout for a wonderful coffee flavour so the 600 in this should be fine.

Tun of grunt - I might make as is and see how she goes. Should be a good winter warmer. I have a friend who's survived tongue cancer and was actually recommended 1 bottle of stout per day for aiding the recovery from chemo and radio. I aim to give him a good portion from this batch as long as it turns out OK.

We're brewing up a double batch of oatmeal stout tomorrow! Heres the plan:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
69.0 6.00 kg. Pale Ale Malt (2-row) Australia 1.037 5
9.8 0.85 kg. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 1258
8.6 0.75 kg. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.029 1523
6.9 0.60 kg. Crystal 150L Great Britain 1.033 160
5.7 0.50 kg. Flaked Oats America 1.033 5

I drank the last bottle of this a couple of weeks ago. 2.5+ years in the bottle made it just beautiful. dark brown creamy foam, thick, syrupy mouthfeel with chocolate and toasty flavours.

I have made an oatmeal stout once before but the recipe was slightly different. Probably similar but this particular one I designed today.

I've made a few stouts but mostly make cream stouts. The last oatmeal was good but I was playing with salt additions. Based on advice from others, I added sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate and would describe the end result as being a touch too salty. Have avoided sodium anything and bicarbonate anything since.

This one will get calcium chloride only since I'm adding the dark grains at the end of the mash and therefore have no need for carbonates.

As for 600g being a lot - batch size is 30L and I would add 500g to a 20-22 L batch of cream stout for a wonderful coffee flavour so the 600 in this should be fine.

Tun of grunt - I might make as is and see how she goes. Should be a good winter warmer. I have a friend who's survived tongue cancer and was actually recommended 1 bottle of stout per day for aiding the recovery from chemo and radio. I aim to give him a good portion from this batch as long as it turns out OK.
Manticle

Yes, I would brew yours as planned - I think it looks great. Coincidentally, I have a great mate who loved the last batch of this (as he helped me down it) but who got the wrong ticket in the cancer lottery. So, this last batch is named after him and hopefully he will help me consume that as well (for medicinal purposes only, of course)..

Cheers

ToG

Best of luck to your friend. It's a long hard road but my mate is testament to the fact that's it not final.

His was advanced when diagnosed too.

I drank the last bottle of this a couple of weeks ago. 2.5+ years in the bottle made it just beautiful. dark brown creamy foam, thick, syrupy mouthfeel with chocolate and toasty flavours.

Was that stored in a crown seal or a twist top bottle for that time ?

Was that stored in a crown seal or a twist top bottle for that time ?

I'd be interested to know how the caps held up to rust and leaking. I'm thinking about waxing the OS I did in Feb and keeping it stored for a few years. Just worried about rust as it gets a bit humid in SEQ.

mine was just a standard crown seal, and it kept fine (standing up the whole time). Probably helped being a fairly big beer, it came out at 6.5%

What's the logic behind adding the roast malts at the end of the mash? Is it simply to stop the mash pH getting too low during saccharification or is there more to it?
I did an OS on the weekend with Melbourne tap water and the mash pH came to 5.33 (when cooled to room temp) even with all the roast and crystal malts added. I should mention that I BIAB and had a mash thickness of ~7 L/kg which probably played a large part in why it didn't drop too low.

edit: more info

Supposedly the resulting roasty flavour is smoother when the roasts are added later or to the sparge water.

I'll see for myself. The benefit is that I don't have to add carbonates which my rudimentary understanding of water chemistry suggests is preferred.

Back