Stuck/slow Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I broke my ferment :)

So to quickly get the story out...

My fishtank heater died in my fermenter, so I wrapped my fermenter in a electric blanket and got my ferment going that way.. It was getting towards 22c so i thought I'd bung on the electric timer to try and regulate the heat.... (I have bought a belt heater since, and waiting for my temp controller to arrive)

Now the missus runs the house heater at the power of the sun, so I left the timer in off mode.... and forgot to turn it back on.... The temperature dropped to a poofteenth of bugger all, and I haven't been able to get it going as well again.

So I did some searching.. And it seemed the first port of call was to give it a bit of a shake.. Tried that... Bubbled a bit, and pretty much stopped.

I then tried shaking the bejesus out of it... same deal.. stopped.

There was no krausian (spelling). Although there is a little pressure in the fermenter, but not much airlock activity.

I was at Bridge Rd Brewers on the weekend, and asked Ben about it.

He said to pitch in any old dry yeast, so I pitched in some Saf US-05 on Monday... Still no Krausian, and still bugger all activity through the airlock (remembering that is was going ape on the wyest)

His second suggestion is the scary one..... Drop an airstone in it, and re-aerate.

Everything I've seen says this is bad, but the boy can brew so I'm not doubting his word. The question is, what is going to be the safest way to do this?

I do have an old aquarium pump sitting at home, although im hesitant to use any of the stones.

Is there a filter or something I should be using to reduce the risk of infection? Is there anything else I could try?

I'm expecting the FG to be about 1015... its stuck at 1040... so its got a ways to go yet. I brewed the beer on the 11th of June too :s

Hi All,

I broke my ferment :)

So to quickly get the story out...

My fishtank heater died in my fermenter, so I wrapped my fermenter in a electric blanket and got my ferment going that way.. It was getting towards 22c so i thought I'd bung on the electric timer to try and regulate the heat.... (I have bought a belt heater since, and waiting for my temp controller to arrive)

Now the missus runs the house heater at the power of the sun, so I left the timer in off mode.... and forgot to turn it back on.... The temperature dropped to a poofteenth of bugger all, and I haven't been able to get it going as well again.

So I did some searching.. And it seemed the first port of call was to give it a bit of a shake.. Tried that... Bubbled a bit, and pretty much stopped.

I then tried shaking the bejesus out of it... same deal.. stopped.

There was no krausian (spelling). Although there is a little pressure in the fermenter, but not much airlock activity.

I was at Bridge Rd Brewers on the weekend, and asked Ben about it.

He said to pitch in any old dry yeast, so I pitched in some Saf US-05 on Monday... Still no Krausian, and still bugger all activity through the airlock (remembering that is was going ape on the wyest)

His second suggestion is the scary one..... Drop an airstone in it, and re-aerate.

Everything I've seen says this is bad, but the boy can brew so I'm not doubting his word. The question is, what is going to be the safest way to do this?

I do have an old aquarium pump sitting at home, although im hesitant to use any of the stones.

Is there a filter or something I should be using to reduce the risk of infection? Is there anything else I could try?

I'm expecting the FG to be about 1015... its stuck at 1040... so its got a ways to go yet. I brewed the beer on the 11th of June too :s

1040 is pretty high to stop at! How long has it been fermenting? And what gravity did it start at?

If you're using a refractometer for your readings you'll need to do an adjustment to account for alcohol in your beer, if you're using a hydrometer, maybe try another.

Failing that crank up the temp a bit if you can or bring it inside and give it another good swirl.

Cheers,
Justin.

If you have the temp back up to 18 (US-05 temp), and guessing you are using a hydrometer or adjusted the reading from a refractometer; I would sanatise your mixing spoon and give it a good strong stir. This will get the yeasties back up into suspension and help get some ozygen back into the wort to allow the yeasties to do their rude thing and multiply. Failing that the airstone is a good idea, but only ever use it when the gravity is high. Hope the fishies don't get too pissed of when you borrow their airstone. (a brand new airstone thouroughly sanatised would be used)

QldKev

If you're going to use an airstone, you may as well just rack off 2 litres into a 3l sanitised bottle and shake the crap out of it to aerate it. Repeat a few times if you feel it's needed.

1040 is pretty high to stop at! How long has it been fermenting? And what gravity did it start at?

If you're using a refractometer for your readings you'll need to do an adjustment to account for alcohol in your beer, if you're using a hydrometer, maybe try another.

1062. And its been in there since the 12th of June...

I'll have to do some research on the refractometer stuff then. I did calibrate it using distilled water. And to be honest the sample out of the tap was in need of a bit of filtering.. mmm hop chunks :super: (Was tasting good though)

If you're going to use an airstone, you may as well just rack off 2 litres into a 3l sanitised bottle and shake the crap out of it to aerate it. Repeat a few times if you feel it's needed.

Simple solution, I like it :)

The US-05 I pitched in has always been at temperature, so I guess it's needs some air...

1062. And its been in there since the 12th of June...

I'll have to do some research on the refractometer stuff then. I did calibrate it using distilled water. And to be honest the sample out of the tap was in need of a bit of filtering.. mmm hop chunks :super: (Was tasting good though)

Simple solution, I like it :)

The US-05 I pitched in has always been at temperature, so I guess it's needs some air...

Did you say you were using a refractomoter for your readings?

If you started at 1.062, and get 1.040 I'd say it wasnt far from done, if you consistantly get that reading.

That converts to approx 1.02. with abv of close to 5% (from http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml using chart from here : http://www.fermsoft.com/gravbrix.php)

I wouldnt be aerating at this point! I had exactly the same issue with my brew, "stuck" on 1.020

Did you say you were using a refractomoter for your readings?

If you started at 1.062, and get 1.040 I'd say it wasnt far from done, if you consistantly get that reading.

That converts to approx 1.02. with abv of close to 5% (from http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml using chart from here : http://www.fermsoft.com/gravbrix.php)

I wouldnt be aerating at this point! I had exactly the same issue with my brew, "stuck" on 1.020

Yeah I am. I'll check the gravity again and see what its at.

BTW if you want to unstick a ferment with a new yeast addition, that yeast has to be put into a starter and pitched when it's fully active and fermenting. Otherwise it's just going to conk out and sit on the bottom with the rest of the yeast.

Endo, what was your final recipe that you used?... Cause if it was the 100% crystal brew you previously proposed I'm actually surprised it got as low as it did. Post up your recipe and I'm sure we can help out.

Endo, what was your final recipe that you used?... Cause if it was the 100% crystal brew you previously proposed I'm actually surprised it got as low as it did. Post up your recipe and I'm sure we can help out.
Ended up doing 5kg of marris and 2.8kg of crystal.

I measured it again last night, the ferment is progressing, just slowly.. down to 1.035 I think it was, which works out to be 1.020 on the onebeer calculator.

So another .003 to go and its about where it should be.

Handy knowing about the Alcohol correction bit, thanks :)

It's not tasting bad either, poured in a little extra in for testing to try it. :)

Back