Stuck Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonromanz

Reaction score
Hope someone can help me.......

I'm brewing a California common with the Wyeast California Lager. I made a 1.5l starter with a SG of 1.032 and let that ferment for about 3 days and pitched it about 9 days ago into my wort of SG 1.056 and fermented it at 17C. It all went good for about 4 days and slowed down. I thought it was done, checked the gravity and found it was only 1.022. Checked it a few times after and still the same reading tonight. Last night I drained the slurry (conical),mixed it back on top,increased the temperature to 19C with not much happening. What do I do now????

give it another week - if it still doesn't drop at all, keg it.

What were your ingredients, mash temp etc.?

Since most of the fermentation is complete, you can safely raise the temperature to 21 or 22 without any issues. Also re-rouse the yeast when you do get the temperature up. If that fails to get things moving, boil 2-3 tsp of yeast nutrient in ~100ml of water and dump that into the fermenter while it's still hot. Just watch out - the cooling steam will form a mild vacuum that will suck your airlock dry (which is an infection risk since that water isn't sterile). Just wait a minute and gently rock the fermenter to produce some gas before you put the airlock back.

Latest posts

Back