Stubbies Too Gassy When Open?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicbrewer

Reaction score
I bottled up my brew 3 weeks ago and after sitting them in a fridge for an hour to cool them down, when I open them the gas in the bottle stirs up the sediment and turns to froth and comes out the bottle??

anyone know why this is happening, I used proper dextrose sugar with a proper sugar measuring spoon for 330ml bottles....

and I tried to open a warm bottle and it did the same as above???

Cool your bottles for a couple of days at least. This also helps settle the yeast more.
How much priming sugar did you use? What was your FG?

Gav.

Cool your bottles for a couple of days at least. This also helps settle the yeast more.
How much priming sugar did you use? What was your FG?

Gav.

FG was 1012, used 1/2 teaspoon measure

Need to make sure they go in the fridge for a couple days to chill down properly, 1 hr doesnt cut it, co2 comes out of solution when warm, beer absorbs co2 when cold...

Other reasons could be, to much priming sugar, dex in those measures can be too much as its finer than plain sugar... And if it hadnt finished fermenting properly, you would have had excess sugars in your stubbies that continued to ferment in the bottles and on top of your priming sugar would have created an excess amount of co2..

Trust me, been there.. Overgassed beer is not nice..

FG was 1012, used 1/2 teaspoon measure

1012 is fine depending on the fermentables and yeast type. 1/2 teaspoon is also fine if fully fermented out.
I trust you checked your FG a few times over a few days to be sure it was finished.

Gav

some yeasts can be sneaky. You think they are finished and then they just tick over and tick over in the bottle and a few weeks down the track they are as fizzy as buggery. I have found this particularly with some UK yeasts such as West Yorkshire. The recommended 'priming rates' are often based on kit yeasts that finish quite quickly. I tend to add a lot less carbing sugar nowadays, up to a third less than the old guide "one teaspoon for a tallie and half for a stubbie" and it doesn't do any harm, especially for ales.

I bottled up my brew 3 weeks ago and after sitting them in a fridge for an hour to cool them down, when I open them the gas in the bottle stirs up the sediment and turns to froth and comes out the bottle??

anyone know why this is happening, I used proper dextrose sugar with a proper sugar measuring spoon for 330ml bottles....

and I tried to open a warm bottle and it did the same as above???

Is that measuring spoon for 375ml bottles? May be part of the answer.

Is that measuring spoon for 375ml bottles? May be part of the answer.

no no no, the spoon i got was from my local homebrew store it has 3 measures (looks like a triangle) has a measure for 330, 375 and 750

well i've put a few bottles in the fridge so i'll see how it goes in a few days

no no no, the spoon i got was from my local homebrew store it has 3 measures (looks like a triangle) has a measure for 330, 375 and 750

left 1 in the fridge overnight been 24hrs still doing the same?????

I trust you checked your FG a few times over a few days to be sure it was finished.

?

If it was not completely fermented out at bottling it will be over-carbed.
You could try putting them all in the fridge, cool them down, uncap and vent them and then re-cap.

Cheers
Gavo.

well thats novel...haven't seen that before.....the 330mL measure might well be the answer to all those that use 375mL bottles, and consider a single scoop to be too gassy....

In your case, as others have said, chill the bottles properly. There is an interesting reaction that occurs when the glass is cold but the beer isn't....it gushes, just like you're describing. ;)

If you still find it's overcarbed when it's cold, then you might need to vent the batch. If that's the case, you should chill all the beer (fully cold, for at least a day), then uncap it....put new caps on the top, to stop crap falling in, but not sealed, for about an hour or 2, then cap properly. should all be good then.

i used to have problems with getting carb just right when i was using one of them scoops in that one brew would all be boys and then the next would be flat. i started to bulk prime and voila! all my beer is carbed just right. imo bulk priming is the only way to go, saves a lot of stuffing about with each bottle to.

well thats novel...haven't seen that before.....the 330mL measure might well be the answer to all those that use 375mL bottles, and consider a single scoop to be too gassy....

In your case, as others have said, chill the bottles properly. There is an interesting reaction that occurs when the glass is cold but the beer isn't....it gushes, just like you're describing. ;)

If you still find it's overcarbed when it's cold, then you might need to vent the batch. If that's the case, you should chill all the beer (fully cold, for at least a day), then uncap it....put new caps on the top, to stop crap falling in, but not sealed, for about an hour or 2, then cap properly. should all be good then.

I use the 330mL scoop for all my bottles (I use a mixture of 330, 345 and 375 mL bottles) and use normal sugar. I find my beers have the perfect amount of fizz as well.

i used to have problems with getting carb just right when i was using one of them scoops in that one brew would all be boys and then the next would be flat. i started to bulk prime and voila! all my beer is carbed just right. imo bulk priming is the only way to go, saves a lot of stuffing about with each bottle to.

Bulk priming rules. It's not only excellent for consistency it is such a time saver. Love it...

It's always good to link to the calculator when we talk up bulk priming so people can get an idea of what levels of carbonation they want in a brew, so here's the linky

Back