Strongbow Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
References I found to e-coli were generally about soft (non alcoholic cider). I avoided ipasteurisation as I was worried about a cooked apple flavour coming through.

The wild yeasts are supposedly contained within the apples themselves so pen fermentation is not necessary - just clarify, then leave at low temperatures to ferment slow.

Never done it - that's just the info I found online.

Intreresting manticle, yeah can't find the link I had but found about 5 posts on different US forums that all said 'Oh if you're juicing apples or using a crusher then pasteurise'. Also read that the cooked apple taste only comes through if you boil. Boiling also means you'll have a cider that looks like the bottom of the yarra.

Tried a hydrometer sample after pasteurising and it was fine - no cooked taste at all. Tasted really good actually.

Once ferment was done no cooked taste either. One thing I will say is that if you can get the fermenter into a fridge for a week prior to bottling it does help everything clarify. Did that and my cider is really clear. That's one good thing I can say about it my cider. Just hope the apple 'hooch/grappa/schnapps' taste dies down. Wasn't planning on making 'apple wine' Only with cellaring will I know if I can iron out the sharpness I've got.

Hopper.

Intreresting manticle, yeah can't find the link I had but found about 5 posts on different US forums that all said 'Oh if you're juicing apples or using a crusher then pasteurise'. Also read that the cooked apple taste only comes through if you boil. Boiling also means you'll have a cider that looks like the bottom of the yarra.

Tried a hydrometer sample after pasteurising and it was fine - no cooked taste at all. Tasted really good actually.

Once ferment was done no cooked taste either. One thing I will say is that if you can get the fermenter into a fridge for a week prior to bottling it does help everything clarify. Did that and my cider is really clear. That's one good thing I can say about it my cider. Just hope the apple 'hooch/grappa/schnapps' taste dies down. Wasn't planning on making 'apple wine' Only with cellaring will I know if I can iron out the sharpness I've got.

Hopper.

We'll see how mine goes. I only clarified (in fridge) for 48 hours before racking but the one I did last time was similar and that came out crystal clear.

Reviving an old thread, but had to share kids, exciting news.

The cider from the recipe posted earlier has come up a treat. Really yummy. With a month's cellar time it's come up well.
Good big apple flavour and the alcohol hoochieness has come right off. Anyone doing a cider like this I really advise cellaring, it's worth it.

Have read about cellaring cider made with real apples for up to 3 months before drinking and thought 'stuff that' now I understand why.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back