Strong Apple Cider Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualties_army40

Reaction score
Hey im fairly new to homebrewing and i thought up this recipe for some pretty strong cider. anyone got any tips?

this recipe is to make 23 litres of cider

8 litres of apple juice
4kg of sugar
yeast nutrient
citric acid
wine yeast

im going for a semi-sweet cider so does anyone have any suggestions? maybe after fermentation, adding campden tabs or some potassium sorbate to kill the yeast, let sit for a few days, then add some sugar, actually probs lactose or honey(or if anyone has suggestions for something better to sweeten it?).

i was also thinking of adding another flavour to coincide with the apple flavour like peach or raspberries. what do ya reckon?

cheers. xo :super:

More juice sounds like more alcohol to me. No need for water, all juice.

I really almost wrote for you to reconsider using so much sugar as it is known to produce cidery flavours! Maybe reconsider using so much anyway, as even in plain water 4kg of sugar will give an OG of 1067 in 23l (according to my understanding of Beersmith's inner workings). I'd not use more than a kg or so in an all juice version. IMO of course.

More juice will make a better quality cider regardless.

last cider i made was as follows

Primary
12ltr Berri Apple Juice
9.6lt Berri Apple Pear Juice
250gm Lactose
Nottingham Yeast
OG 1050

Secondary
1kg Frozen Raspberries
1lt water
1 cup sugar

for the secondary i boiled the raspberrys in 1 litre of water to kill any nasties and added a cup of sugar to form sort of a raspberry syrup...

if you wanted to up the ABV you could add dextrose or some DME

tasted pretty good

That sounds quite nice - did the yeast strip out much of the raspberry flavour?

Would using 1kg Malt instead of any sugar be any good at all and would this cancel the need for yeast nutrient???

Folks

Much discussion of cider in the non-beer section. Including a thread on Simple Cider (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=37512) which sounds almost exactly like what you are trying to do here.

Cheers
Dave

Back