Strong Alcoholic Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezz94

Reaction score
Hi all,

I think I pitched my yeast at too high of a temperature. Around mid 30's. Beer has been fermenting for nearly 2 weeks. I had a taste yesterday and it has a very alcoholic taste to it. Will this taste subside over time or will it stay as is?

This is my third brew and it was taking very long to cool down so I pitched the yeast early as I was worried about the wort getting exposed to air for too long of a time.

Cheers.

Sounds like you have a lot of fusel alcohols from a hot ferment, As far as I know this won't go away while the beer is in a closed bottle.

I had the same problem on my first brew as I had no temp control, however mine improved after a four weeks it ended up drinkable so just relax and give it a month or two before you bin it to see if it improves.

I am a great believer in the observation - 'if your beer tastes shit at bottling - then it will taste shit at drinking.'
I always have a nip at bottling - true, its flat and without the bells and whistles - but if it is 'okay' your brew will more than likely end out okay.
I used to bottle what ever came out my container and hold the belief that an extra 2-4 weeks in the bottle will turn my crap into golden amber - never happened.
If its undrinkable shit at bottling - chuck it and start again. Otherwise you end up with 500 bottles of beer in your garage that you cannot/do not want to drink.
Cheers
B.

If you like having a few and have issues with the taste, buy some booze you like and shandy it. It's still a win win situation. Just get better at your processes and onward and hiccup.

What was your recipe and what temp did it ferment at when it cooled down?

Although I try and pitch as close to my optimum fermenting temp as possible, I have pitched at higher temps before (not quite mid 30s though) for the same reasons as you and it has been ok. I figure that the yeast doesn't really get going producing alcohol for at least a few hours. It is focussing on stabilising and multiplying (happy to be corrected though).

There could be something else going on - that's why it would be interesting to know the recipe.

Latest posts

Back