Stromboli

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
Made stromboli for dinner tonight, with some extras so I can chomp on them while seeing Collingwood beat Carltons arse tomorrow (I hope)!

Anyway, the best way I can describe stromboli is pizza strudel, go figure. It is a pizza dough, but the fillings are wrapped up inside. You cut it into strips and then dip it in pizza sauce instead of having the pizza sauce inside the stromboli.

One of the secrets is to avoid over filling it, it should be a balance (like beer) of the ingredients and the dough. Course, it never stops me from adding extra ;)

It is GREAT finger food and always a favourite at our house. It originated in the eastern USA in the 50's, but there is debate about that, of course.

Stromboli_01.JPG

Stromboli_02.JPG

Stromboli_03.JPG

Stromboli_04.JPG

Stromboli_05.JPG

Stromboli_06.JPG

Stromboli_07.JPG

Stromboli_08.JPG

Looks delicious mate. Next get together, I vote you cook that

Damn, that looks great..... Will try this on saturday - when I make my dough

Cool idea, looks yummie, and easy to cut up like that too.
I've tried, and home-made (semi-frequently) both pizza and Calzone before.
It seems that Calzone is much the same thing, but without the strudel-type-strips and hence a little bit harder to cut up. ;)

Edit: Interesting, seems the Wiki version of Stromboli is more like a rolled-up-turnover and the main difference is it's made from bread not pizza dough .... but I prefer your version, might even try it tonight!

Cool idea, looks yummie, and easy to cut up like that too.
I've tried, and home-made (semi-frequently) both pizza and Calzone before.
It seems that Calzone is much the same thing, but without the strudel-type-strips and hence a little bit harder to cut up. ;)

Love calzone. So do the kids. The eat well cold too. The kids love taking leftover calzone for school lunches.

Cheers
Dave

Made stromboli for dinner tonight, with some extras so I can chomp on them while seeing Collingwood beat Carltons arse tomorrow (I hope)!

Anyway, the best way I can describe stromboli is pizza strudel, go figure. It is a pizza dough, but the fillings are wrapped up inside. You cut it into strips and then dip it in pizza sauce instead of having the pizza sauce inside the stromboli.

One of the secrets is to avoid over filling it, it should be a balance (like beer) of the ingredients and the dough. Course, it never stops me from adding extra ;)

It is GREAT finger food and always a favourite at our house. It originated in the eastern USA in the 50's, but there is debate about that, of course.

Wow, love the loo of that.

I love calzone also so i know i will love that.

The stromboli style I cook came from eating my ex-wifes mothers version of it. She owned an Italian restaurant in Dover, Ohio for 20 years before her husband developed a brain tumour and ran it into the ground before they had figured out what was going on!

Anyway, odd thing was, years after divorcing her, my current wife, also an American I met whilst living in Ohio, told me about this great Italian Restaurant in Dover Ohio.

Go figure.

The stromboli style I cook came from eating my ex-wifes mothers version of it. She owned an Italian restaurant in Dover, Ohio for 20 years before her husband developed a brain tumour and ran it into the ground before they had figured out what was going on!

Anyway, odd thing was, years after divorcing her, my current wife, also an American I met whilst living in Ohio, told me about this great Italian Restaurant in Dover Ohio.

Go figure.
Plus the best thing is the Pies did beat the Blues, plus good food :)
Go pies!

Here's what I made for dinner the other night.
Ham & Pineapple for SHMBO:
Stromboli1.jpg

And the Lot (and a Wee Heavy) for me:
Stromboli2.jpg

I've never heard of stromboli until this thread. Glad it was posted :)

Here's our first attempt from last night. They weren't flat, but very tasty :D

In the foreground is sauted chicken, pesto, red capsicum, mushroom and cheese. The rear is hot salami, jalapeo, black olive, red capsicum and cheese.

Delicious.

P5150001.JPG

Latest posts

Back