Strike water volume

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamby

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Another question from an AG novice.

I have a question regarding strike water volume. If i am using 5KG of grain with a grain absorption ratio of 1 litre per kilo and also MT dead space of 2 litres, do i add these losses to my strike water volume or
just use the total water of my mash thickness which will be 3 litres per kilo.
So my question is, if im using the above amounts and ratios, is my strike water simply 15 litres ( mash thickness (3 litres) x grain bill (5KG)) with a first runnings of 8 Litres (15 litres minus losses)
or
is the strike water volume 15 litres plus losses to grain absorption (5 Litres) plus MT dead space (2 Litres ) which will be 22 litres, giving me a first running of 15 litres.

Hope this question makes sense.

I would add 3 l/kg as strike water then add more to the sparge water for losses.

Thank you Goid, thats what i was going to do next batch, my last batch, (which was my first AG batch ) i added losses, came out fine but didnt want to think i was diluting the grain with to much liquid. The only disadvantage im thinking with not adding losses is the possibility of a stuck sparge, is 3 litres per kilo susceptible to a stuck sparge? didnt really want to a mash out but will do if need be.

I have started using 2.5l/kg for my mashes and haven't experienced any stuck intial drain or batch sparges. I do mash out though. Water to grain ratio shouldn't effect drainage of the mash too much. Stuck sparge is more likely due to the grain used and how it is milled. I have only had 1 stuck sparge and that was when I was using some Vienna malt at above 3.5l/kg.

Goid is right, the stuck sparge issue is unlikely to do with water to grain ratio. The biggest issue with too low a L/Kg ratio is inefficiency in the mash due to the risks of dry pockets that even good mixing might miss. 3L/Kg should be fine for your 5Kg of grain even with 2L of dead space. Minus the dead space that still equates to 2.6L/Kg which is ample to allow you to ensure the grist is mixed thoroughly. I often start at 2L/Kg (with additions to bring the temp up or down) and 2.5 to 3 seems to be the norm for most. In saying that, it won't matter if you add another 2 L to make up for your dead space at the begining or after first runnings. The main thing is you recognise that it needs to be taken into account in the total.

The way I look at dead space isn't that it is "dead" space where nothing happens. But dead space where wort will be left after draining mash tun. Enzymes will become soluble in the water and work at starches around them. As jack of all biers mentions there won't be as much direct water contact with the grain. How much this affects enzyme and starch conversion in the mash I'm unsure.

Over the past 10 years of brewing I have learned many things from experience,one of which is to eliminate where possible,variables.
I now, as a matter of experience,mash in with a constant 20 litres of water, my grain bills fall within the 4.5 - 5.5kgs.
Over the 10 years I have got good control on grain absorbtion percentage and also the required amount of sparge water to give my my pre-boil volume of 29 litres.
The evaporation rate of my boil and the losses incurred in the mash and post boil trub,are very accurate, I have a bottom drain in my mash tun and therefore have no losses other than that within the grain absorbtion,which, after sparging has little fermentable sugar left within it.
I boil for 90 minutes and never had to extend my boil time to achieve the required gravity.
I have been enjoying very good and consistent results which mean I can repeat a recipe time after time.

It all comes down to picking 1 method of adjusting for the loss and being consistent. Then adjust the water ratio as you see fit and learn which works best for you.

Thanks guys, once again great info to work with... Happy brewing

Can someone break this down for me.

I get that you would use 2.6-3L/ kg

but then how much water per kg do you sparge with?

If I have 3kg of Grain how much strike water? and how much sparge water?

ok for me i have my strike waster which is between 2-3L/kg. i then sparge till i have my pre boil volume for my system which is what ever the target volume plus my boil off.
so for my system as a 40L batch my strike is generally around the 20L then i sparge till i get my 56L pre boil addend up around the 42-46L mark in two cubes.
does this make sense

excellent Barls, thanks.. I can downsize that for my small batches.

If you have the room you can look at doing BIAB-style full volume mashing, so all of your mash and sparge water goes in at the beginning.

not a problem, might also mention that my dead space is about 250ml

my biggest pot is 19L BigW pot. I also have 15L Kmart pot... I have been using them two, they both fit in my oven (not at the same time though lol).

Have a look at this guys, he explains the calculations for Strike and sparge water based on losses and volumes. I found it a very good video to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8mEJ_WTJ2o

Thanks Gamby, what an awesome video.. very helpful.

No worries Chookers, and its an Australian speaking in metric terms...Hallelujah

Latest posts

Back