Strange Floaties

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley

Reaction score
Hi,
I got given a can of Morgans Larger from my LHBS and he suggested to use a Saflarger W34/70 yeast as I can maintain the temp at 12 - 14 deg C . I also added 10grms of Target hops to the brew after a rolling boil for 2 min, and a kg of brewers choice brew enhancing sugars.
This brew was rather slow to get going, and after a call to the LHBS he told me to leave it at room temp until it gets going. So took it out of the cooler and 24hrs later it realy started to bubble, so reduced it back to 14deg and its bubbled away for the last week.
Went to take a SG yesterday took the top off the brewer and over about 50% of the top of the wort is a strange looking brown powdery growth a couple of millimeters high :unsure:

Not having used this yeast before or brewed at these low temps is this normal ?
The wort smells ok and even tastes ok but I havent seen this on previous brews, not that I have done many.

Any advice ?

Cheers Harley

Can you post up a pic of it? If it smells ok and tastes ok then i wouldn't be to worried yet, if it starts growing little inter-connected colonies then i would start to worry :)

Never used that yeast before so im not sure.

Can you post up a pic of it? If it smells ok and tastes ok then i wouldn't be to worried yet, if it starts growing little inter-connected colonies then i would start to worry :)

Yes I will take a pic tonight and post it tomorrow

Cheers :)

Keifer

picture of the floaty beer attached
It smells and tastes ok and is still bubbling away

Beer.JPG

Harley, this is quite normal for a wort to look like this. I don't know what the brown bits are, but I get them all the time.

Thanks razz

Was a bit unsure as I hadnt seen this on my previous 5 brews, so thats good news :)

Will be bottling tomorrow then :chug:

Cheers Harley

Harley,
Don't agitate your fermenter. Keep these floaties as floaties not sinkies. This stuff can add a horrible smell and bitter taste to your brew if it recombines.

Be really careful moving your fermenter around and you'll be right as rain.

Brew colour looks good, hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Bottled a Morgans Aust. Draught 8 days ago and cracked one last night to check gas was ok. Still very new & cloudy, but appears to be a quite sweet brew, I think the 27 ibu's Morgans give it is a bit optimistic. Since the gas was ok now I've got the agonizing wait before I can hook right into it. :party:

Harley,
Don't agitate your fermenter. Keep these floaties as floaties not sinkies. This stuff can add a horrible smell and bitter taste to your brew if it recombines.

Be really careful moving your fermenter around and you'll be right as rain.

Brew colour looks good, hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Bottled a Morgans Aust. Draught 8 days ago and cracked one last night to check gas was ok. Still very new & cloudy, but appears to be a quite sweet brew, I think the 27 ibu's Morgans give it is a bit optimistic. Since the gas was ok now I've got the agonizing wait before I can hook right into it. :party:

KegDrainer
Thanks for the info on the floaties, I noticed a few taking a dive as I moved the fermenter to take the pic :( Will be carefull not to disturb the rest though.
First time I have brewed a Morgans so Im keen to have a sip myself :beer:
Cheers Harley

The tan brown floating lumps are just yeast, perfectly safe for your beer and for you to drink.

The really nasty stuff is that dark brown scum that forms and sticks to the sides of the fermenter at the surface. Be game and try it one day.

Surface looks fine to me. Compare it to the picture in another thread that is currently active, that brew didn't start at all and is now fully infected after 2 weeks.

I just checked my toucan morgans old which has 400g ldme in it also, when i poured it into the test tube thing it hade these floaties in it too.. should i be woried about it? SG is still 1020 so its still fermenting.. hopefully they will settle out to the bottom of the brew. its going to be my first bulk primed brew :):)

I just checked my toucan morgans old which has 400g ldme in it also, when i poured it into the test tube thing it hade these floaties in it too.. should i be woried about it? SG is still 1020 so its still fermenting.. hopefully they will settle out to the bottom of the brew. its going to be my first bulk primed brew :):)

sounds like yeast that was caught in the tap to me..

The tan brown floating lumps are just yeast, perfectly safe for your beer and for you to drink.

Yep, looks like yeast.

The really nasty stuff is that dark brown scum that forms and sticks to the sides of the fermenter at the surface. Be game and try it one day.

The brown scum is a mixture of proteins & hop residues. Some of it sticks to the sides, the rest falls back through the beer as the head dies. Its fine to let it fall back through and settle, as long as it hasnt been exposed to oxygen. If it is, then the oxidised substances can lead to harsh, bitter tastes. One good reason to have a closed ferment unless you plan to skim the crap off.

Good to hear.
I had to move mine to a warmer position (ale yeast) and some of the stuff on the side got washed off.
Most has settled abck down but i still have to move it once more before i bottle.
Normally wouldn't move but had an ale and a lager side by side in the spare room. (still new to the brew scene) Temps have been hard to moderatre lately, was keeping both at around 17c. :)

Latest posts

Back