Strange brown/green foam.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhrosendorff

Reaction score
Hi ,
I have recently just brewed my first all grain batch of brown ale.
We thought everything went well, but then when we added yeast nothing really happened as i think i may have thermally shocked the yeast by putting it in warm water.... Secondly after acquiring more yeast and sprinkling it over the brew, a infected foam appeared it was browny green and looked slimy.... Now a day and a half after applying that yeast there is no foam and the standard yeast patches in the brew. The beer tastes a bit floury and not quite what we were looking for.

for that batch we used

4 kg pale ale malt
1 kg amber ale malt
200 g crystal
150 g chocolate

12g target hops
24g williamette hops

60 minute single temperature boil
with the pale added at 60 mins
the amber at 30 mins
and the chocolate and crystal added at 15 mins

we then sparged and boiled for another 60 mins at 65 degrees and added the hops at 60 mins

please help
i dont know what to do the beer tastes a bit strange and the colour is off. should i wait longer or do something?

Did you really boil your grains????

Wait, you say you "boiled" at 65 degrees
Do you mean the wort didn't get up to 100 degrees at any point?

Did you research using text/instruction prior to brewing your first AG.

Sometimes new brewers use the Ready-Fire-Aim method.

We're a bit confused by the description of your brewing process, but we're here to help. Although it's best to ask questions prior to brewing your first.

Screwy

I think you need to do some research on brewing AG. Firstly all the grains need to be added together after milling at the start of the mash which will run for an hour at starch conversion temps. Then boil adding hops at desired intervals to achieve the desired bitterness among other things. Reading above it sounds like you have this all arse about. Reading above if you have made it as it reads you havnt made beer. I don't know what it is.

Mate, you really need to do some reading. :blink:

mash head said:
I think you need to do some research on brewing AG. Firstly all the grains need to be added together after milling at the start of the mash which will run for an hour at starch conversion temps. Then boil adding hops at desired intervals to achieve the desired bitterness among other things. Reading above it sounds like you have this all arse about. Reading above if you have made it as it reads you havnt made beer. I don't know what it is.
I'd say he's made undrinkable goop

You get points for trying. But you need to understand the process before doing.

The brewing process as posted looks confusing.

I'd suggest seeing another brewer do an AG batch, so you can follow the full process. Hopefully it will clear up any confusion.

I think OP has high levels of confusion...

It is a bit confusing when we say 60 min hop adition........it doesnt mean we add them after 60 mins....

Who Up ! The OP's offline, has not responded as yet, maybe just confusing terminology, lets wait for a reply.

Screwy

Where's the fun in that Screwy? Much better to make comments based purely on assumptions. :lol:

wbosher said:
Where's the fun in that Screwy? Much better to make comments based purely on assumptions. :lol:
Duh! Of course, maybe I've been over on that other forum too long :p

Probably just forgot to hydrate his yeast first...

:ph34r:

I was brewing with a friend with this one...
and he insisted that we were to add the grains at different times........

So what has happened is that the grains haven't had time for complete mashing? i read up on this and it said add all the grains and bring to 69 degrees for 60 minutes... then what i meant by 60mins hops is add the hops at the second stage for 60 mins???
i then pitched the yeast and threw it in....

So what i have gotten out of this thread is that all the grain needs to be put in at once (what i initially thought but was persuaded to think otherwise)

What else do i need to do..

i did read a how to brew book before i performed this batch.... and read the steps carefully as we went along... but my mate clearly didn't know what he was doing.

anything else i should know????

1. Tell your mate to keep very quiete .

You need to mash all your grains togethor between 63-67*c for 60 mins. Make sure they are all milled/cracked.

Then drain into your kettle, refill with hot water and drain again into your kettle. Keep filling and draining unrill you get your pre boil volume. This is called sparging. Basically you are trying to rinse out as much of the sugars from the mashed grain

Start boiling your kettle. Once you have a good rolling boil add your first hop addition. This will be you 60min addition because you need to boil for 60mins. Now for your next additions add them at the times till the end of the boil. IE a 20 min addition is added 40mins after your 1st add ( 20mins till the end of the boil )

When your 60min boil is done turn off the heat and start cooling the wort.

Once cooled to under 20*c add your yeast, put the lid on, and whack a kitten in the airlock and wait for a week

Latest posts

Back