Stout recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilipB

Reaction score
I am wanting to do a kit and extracts of a Carbine Stout.

I normally use a 10litre pot to boil in and ferment at 23 litre capacity.

Does some one have a recipe ?

Appreciate your help.

Carbine Stout isn't exactly common so it's unlikely you'll get a clone recipe right off the bat. A quick Google search shows that it's a foreign extra stout so I'd start by looking up some tried and tested recipes for that style. Sorry I can't help more.

Happy brewing.

My go to stout is
1 can of coopers dark ale
1kg of dex
1kg of LDME
.3kg choc malt
30g of EKG (East Kent Goldings)
Maybe some dark crystal
Us04

Comes out around 5.5% kegged at 23L

House favorite around here!

Good luck with finding yours!

Thank you verysupple and Digga. I am doing my research to see what I come up with.

Thank you Digga for sharing a recipe :D

Digga said:
My go to stout is
1kg of dex
1kg of LDME
.3kg choc malt
Maybe some dark crystal
Us04

Hey digga, Cheers for the recipe!! Are you able to post a list of instructions for a newbie like me? Cheers mate!

XXXX don't brew it any more. Was looking for a recipe

Yeah I didn't think they did... shame, wouldn't have minded trying it at least. If it's a foreign extra stout the Coopers stout tin might be a good starting point.

What does carbine stout taste like?
Say, compared to coopers stout (coffee, bitter), or swan stout (choc, less bitter and less dry).
For something closer to coopers, obviously use the coopers kit, 1kg dark malt extract, 1kg brew sugar, kit yeast (E: hope you saved some as it's better with 2 packs), or nottingham yeast.
For something closer to swan, like Digga I use the dark ale kit, 1kg dark malt extract, 900g dex, 300g choc grain, 200g roasted barley (instead of the dark crystal they suggested as optional), 20g fuggles hops. I start with S04 yeast, (finish and bottle with kit yeast so it gets a hurry on in the bottle).

Hey Pablo, how much and how do you measure out when doing your yeast addition for each bottle?

Digga said:
My go to stout is
1kg of dex
1kg of LDME
.3kg choc malt
Maybe some dark crystal
Us04

Sounds like not a bad drop, might give that a crack

Stouter said:
Hey Pablo, how much and how do you measure out when doing your yeast addition for each bottle?
I add the kit yeast into the fermenter a few days before bottling.

Dorz said:
Hey digga, Cheers for the recipe!! Are you able to post a list of instructions for a newbie like me? Cheers mate!
I should get a chance to post it up tomorrow. Been flat chat lately.

Ok so little over due. Generally the recipe goes:
~2L Steep of the chock malt either overnight in cold water in the fridge or boil same volume and take off the heat and steep with lid on.
Then boil the remaining wort for 20 min.
Take off the heat add 30g or 1g / L of Goldings and let steep for 15min.
Dissolve LDME in fermenter with a little cold water 1-2L.
Warm can and add to fermenter.
Strain hoppy wort into fermenter.
Mix well and top to 20L I often add a little ice. Then top up with hot or cold water to 23L or 25L.
Get to around 20°c and pitch yeast.
Ferm at 18°c
Bob's ya uncle.

So I have brew this around 15 times and have done so many different renditions it's not funny. Changing volumes (between 20 - 25L), boiling a little EKG (10 - 30g) in the steeped liquor, adding crystal grain (100 - 300g), Dry hopping (1 to 1.5g per L) and different yeasts from the kit supplied often 2 packs per can as I buy bulk and dump on yeast cakes usually to US05, Nottingham and mangrove jacks varieties.

Always comes out great!

Good luck and happy brewing.

Drinking right now it's great!

1480405798768.jpg

Latest posts

Back