Stout - Molasses Flavoured?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernography

Reaction score
Being a dedicated Carlton Draught/VB/TED drinker, I tend to stick to what I know and love in regards to beers, but yesterday I decided to go on a beer appreciation tour and pick up some stouts from the local bottlo to try out.

I got a couple of Sheaf Stout and a couple of Coopers stout, first thing I noticed was the strong molasses flavour that came with them... is this par for the course with stout? Does it always get the treacle flavour?

For the record I liked the Sheaf but didn't like the Coopers, it had a foul licorice or something aftertaste.

Some beers like Theakston's Old Peculier are made with molasses. I don't know about Coopers or Sheaf, but you do get kind of a molasses-like flavour from the combo of crystal and dark malts...

MFS

Hey Tseay that site is brilliant! Just what I've been looking for! Thanks chaps!

I got a couple of Sheaf Stout and a couple of Coopers stout, first thing I noticed was the strong molasses flavour that came with them... is this par for the course with stout? Does it always get the treacle flavour?

For the record I liked the Sheaf but didn't like the Coopers, it had a foul licorice or something aftertaste.
IMO stouts do not always have a treacle/molasas taste, in fact I would say that most dont. Coopers stout for example I would say has quite a burnt barley/malt taste to it. Guinness certainly doesnt (both dry style stouts). If you like that sort of stout, great. have a look at the bjcp as suggested by Tseay and see which ones match your palate. I love them all.

Being a dedicated Carlton Draught/VB/TED drinker, I tend to stick to what I know and love in regards to beers, but yesterday I decided to go on a beer appreciation tour and pick up some stouts from the local bottlo to try out.

It wasn't a vegemite taste was it? Geez, I love the coopers stout. Try the Southwarks if you can find it.
Anyway well done for crossing over to the darkside. Keep on trying different beers and exercising those tastebuds! :chug:

I don't taste molasses in many stouts. I think a bit of that might be psychological. Looks black and sweet... triggers response from brain. It's funny (to me anyway) how many new brewers add liquorice, coffee, molasses etc to stout recipes when they really don't need it. Those flavours come out of the roasted grain.

Anyway, keep tasting them, it'll all click. Great style stout. Foreign Export Stout is my favourite style. Reminds me, I should brew another one.

Back