Stout Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

figure8

Reaction score
Hi folks

I'm getting ready to stick on my 3rd kit since meandering down the drunken path that is home brewing, I have a muntons stout kit and have purchased the brewcraft #74 irish stout kit converter. Can anyone shed any light on whether these two alone are liable to produce a decent brew or whether I should enhance it with anything else.
Secondly, the kit converter is telling me to boil for 20 mins etc etc which is a new process for me, any tips on 'do's' and 'don't's' for when I carry out this bit.

N.B. I picked up a tin of coopers brewing sugar cos it was on a special in my local supermarket, does this simply replace the 1 kilo in a future brew?

Thanks in advance ;)

BDB

Regading the Coopers Brewing Sugar - a qoute from the Coopers website:

Coopers Brewing Sugar (1kg) will improve the body and head retention of your brew. Coopers Brewing Sugar contains dextrose and maltodextrin. The dextrose will ferment out completely. The maltodextrin is not fermentable and remains in the brew adding to the body and head retention whilst not imparting any sweetness or flavours. A simple improvement to all your brews.

Cheers

Also I forgot to add - yes it will replace the usual 1kg

What's in the #74 converter?

Pretty sure Stout convertor has:
500g of brown sugar
500g light dried malt extract
500g dextrose/maltodextrose

Hi folks

I'm getting ready to stick on my 3rd kit since meandering down the drunken path that is home brewing, I have a muntons stout kit and have purchased the brewcraft #74 irish stout kit converter. Can anyone shed any light on whether these two alone are liable to produce a decent brew or whether I should enhance it with anything else.
Secondly, the kit converter is telling me to boil for 20 mins etc etc which is a new process for me, any tips on 'do's' and 'don't's' for when I carry out this bit.

N.B. I picked up a tin of coopers brewing sugar cos it was on a special in my local supermarket, does this simply replace the 1 kilo in a future brew?

Thanks in advance ;)

BDB

Hi bobdylandsbeard, if you haven't done the boil thing yet, be sure to cool your boil to below 27 degrees before you aerate it. Aslo use a very large pot as it tends to 'boil-over', and sticky goo goes everywhere, trust me I know about this. The bigger the pot the better. And if you get a chance read chapter one of John J Palmer's book 'How To Brew'. Chapter one is brief overview of extract brewing and it details doing a boil, although you probably wont need to rack the beer.
Cheers.

I made a quite nice stout this way

1 can of coopers stout
1kg dextrose
500g dark dry malt
1 can of coopers dark liquid malt

and just used the yeast out of the can.

Latest posts

Back