Stout & Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_bjc

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be planning and brewing a stout soon (ready for winter).
I want to make something similar to the Coopers Style (Foreign Best Extra) but beef it up... with lots of malt body, and chocolate, coffee, mocha character with a little bit of roast flavour. I will be aiming for an ABV between 6.5 - 9%.

I know that hops don't play a huge role in a stout, but am not sure what hop varities would compliment this malt/grain profile.

Thanks!

English hops, goldings, fuggles, etc.

What adam said. A good English hop for bittering is Target which is higher AA than EKG, Fuggles etc and so makes a more economical choice. :)

I just posted a recipe I did a while back which is drinking beautifully now. Nothing too advanced, I only used an 8L stockpot to mash the grains. You can find the recipe here.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: Not sure if you're AG or not so thats why I posted the link. Still, its a good partial if you want something quick and easy.

Last year I did a toucan of Coopers Stout plus a kilo of LDME plus 750g of dex, dry hopped with 20g fuggles pellets and ended up with a beer probably around 8.5%. It was also quite drinkable after a month. In November my dear sister in law arrived from Sydney with a six pack of Sheaf Stout for me (can't get it in Brisbane) and I did a side by side test.

The sheaf, whilst dryer of course, had far more hop character. I'll definitely be doing this brew again and will go for East Kent Goldings for aroma this time and put a fair whack in, maybe 30 g pellets dry hopping.

Also a great place to use pride of ringwood, early and late.

SNIPPED>>

The sheaf, whilst dryer of course, had far more hop character. I'll definitely be doing this brew again and will go for East Kent Goldings for aroma this time and put a fair whack in, maybe 30 g pellets dry hopping.

A dry stout can certainly handle of handful of late hops :p

Also a great place to use pride of ringwood, early and late.

he's not wrong, little bit queer but not wrong ;)

Nice to see you too, jayse!

Anyone know how Spalt would go as an aroma hop in a stout bittered with target???

Cheers Brad

Nice to see you too, jayse!

Hey Kai sorry I did mean the original meaning of queer (unusual).

Anyone know how Spalt would go as an aroma hop in a stout bittered with target???

Cheers Brad

Not really known for it. no experience myself with it as a aroma hop but you'd more put it in the same box as tettnang and saaz of which you really wouldn't use in a stout. It is a german hop and germans don't really make stout. :eek:
But hey...................

Latest posts

Back