Stout Carbination ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pourmeanother

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering if I should give my long necks two carb drops or back it off and only place one so they are not so fizzy when the time comes to consume ?

Stouts are generally not so fizzy are they ? Or is it just personal preference ?

Thanks Todd

It would depends on style and your preference I guess. I would go with your normal level of carbonation, you can always knock some of it out after you pour it.

I bottled some of my toucan stout bottles with one carb drop per longneck and some with two carb drops per longneck. After tasting both, I certainly prefer the bottles with just one carb drop. The lower amount of fizz certainly suits the style, and it still produces a great head that holds right to the bottom. Here is a picture of the stout with one carb drop:

IMG_3884.jpg

I like to bottle my stout in Little Creatures pint bottles with one carb drop.
This is my personal preference with my recipe.
Cheers

Thanks Guys

Think I will do half and half and see how they turn out .

Cheers

I like to bottle my stout in Little Creatures pint bottles with one carb drop.

+1
I found this method is also good for English Bitters which need the lower carbonation rate.

Going to bottle a stout sometime this week. How long do you recommend to "try" and keep them for? Its a coopers kit stout i made into a milk stout.

G'day Brewers,

Agree on the lower carbing of stouts (also applicable for porters).

If you are interested in moving to bulk priming I would suggest getting the "Kit__extract_beer_designer_V2.3b" available for download in another thread. This gives recipe styles and suggested carbonation levels in volumes of CO2.

But if you want to keep it simple, just use 1 carb drop as suggested.

:icon_offtopic: Also think about playing around with a bit of good quality dark chocolate (70% cocao) or maybe a small bit of soft liquorice. As you are experimenting, I wouldn't use these alternate primers on too many bottles ;)

Cheers and happy brewing,
Damo

Going to bottle a stout sometime this week. How long do you recommend to "try" and keep them for? Its a coopers kit stout i made into a milk stout.
I put a stout away awhile back, it started to hit its straps one month in the bottle.

Ok thanks, will try and keep one for 12 months to see how she ages.

Personally i would echo the posts re one carb drop in a 750ml bottle and reconmend aging for some time, i put on a stout a few years back an 3kg ESB and found after 6m it really came good, however i found a few lost bottles of the stout after 3yrs and it got even better.

Jan

Time to think about a bottling bucket so you can add the exact amount of dex you want
and not be limited to one drop or two. Also, you could add one carb drop and
then add half a teaspoon of sugar, or you could try and cut some carb drops in half,
if you did it carefully it should be pretty consistent,
But always the best way would be to go to a bottling bucket and bulk prime. It's pretty easy
and saves popping all the carb drops intoe ach bottle.

Back