storing water from counterflow chiller - how many liters for a 65L batch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
just got myself one of the kegland counterflow chillers (coolossus) and would like to store/reuse the water.

I've got a system that can crank out 65L of wort, how much water do I need for chilling down to around 18c?

I've got 3 x 220L olive barrels I can put taps on - just wondering how many barrel's I need.

I've got temp control so I can deal with a 20c+ result and bring it to a pitchable temp overnight.

thanks.

I do it with 25 L batches and collect around 70 L which I run into my HLT and use to clean the mash tun and kettle later.

1 barrel should be enough most of the time, it will depend on the coolant water temp though. Where or at what temp will you be keeping your barrels?

I use tap water as coolant and in summer will fill 1 olive barrel in winter about half a barrel for 60L wort.

I have a pump that I was going to use to pump coolant from one barrel through my plate chiller into another barrel but never got around to it so just use the hot water for cleaning and whatever is left for watering the veggie patch when it cools.

ah, so now I see the benefit of reusing for cleaning/garden! Storing it for the next brew at ambient summer temps won't really work out so well!

this helps alot as I'll position the barrel in a different part of the yard, cheers!

Storing it for the next brew at ambient summer temps won't really work out so well!
You could do that also. I use Silicone tube from the chiller coolant outlet so often fill the HLT for the next brew. I also use my olive barrels to collect rain water so sometimes they are already full on brew dad.

Still worth while collecting, if you have the capacity just fill up 4x cubes and put in the fridge at cold temps a week before brew day- use tap water for about five minutes (running into big drums) and then with to the pump and cold cube water (with the run off going back into the big drums or lawn/garden).

Gets to pitching temps in a single pass, or at least very close.

I just use 2 olive barrels, 1 full, 1 empty and a cheap 12v submersible pump with garden hose fittings dropped in from the top. I take the first 20~30L of hot water into a bucket for cleaning with a bit of Tricleanium (TSP) and a few drops of detergent, then put the return hose into the empty barrel. I reuse the water over and over again and hardly waste any. I also finish off with about 20L of chilled water to get that last bit of wort temp down quickly.

Latest posts

Back