Storing Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinda

Reaction score
G'day men,
Sorry if I am in the wrong section, but I don't know where to put it. If I put cold beer into a keg from the fermenter, can I then store it, allowing it to go warm, and then at a later date put it in the fridge to cool down again? Will it be alright?
Cadbury

G'day men,
Sorry if I am in the wrong section, but I don't know where to put it. If I put cold beer into a keg from the fermenter, can I then store it, allowing it to go warm, and then at a later date put it in the fridge to cool down again? Will it be alright?
Cadbury

Not the best method - cold-warm-cold, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. As long as you purge the head space with CO2, you will probably get away with it. When 'warm'keep it in the coolest place you can. I have done it before and it was OK - not great, but good enough.

It is best to keep you beer chilled. But if you look at the beer in bottle shops they have it on pallets on the floor. You can store it warm as long as you don't chill then warm then chill then warm ..........
Tempurature fluctuation does effect the beer so best to only do it once.
And don't store it in your shed where temperature can get to high. Keep it in the laundry cupboard or your walk in robe.

It is best to keep you beer chilled. But if you look at the beer in bottle shops they have it on pallets on the floor.

Please dont take what bottle shops do to their beer as correct practice!!

Don't chill the beer from the fermenter. Put the beer into the keg and condition it in the keg like a big bottle.
The conditioning will help keep the beer and will be good at reasonable temps for a couple of months at least.

G'day men,
Cadbury

You'll shouldn't have any issues doing this, it's what I do and havn't had any probs at all

Heck, the first couple of posts had me worried on this one. Then I remembered I've been doing it with every brew to date. Cold conditioning in the fermenter before bottling/kegging and then allowing to warm up to allow natural carbonation.
I guess I've heard that it's not good practice. I might have to trial a few bottles from a brew to experience it myself.

Latest posts

Back