Storing Hop Pellets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOLIO

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have lots of hop pellets stored in the freezer for about 12 months.
Do you think they will still be ok?
Has anyone left them this long?

Great forum guys
Cheers
Toby

p.s.has anyone made an APA with simcoe amarillo and cascade?

Hi guys
I have lots of hop pellets stored in the freezer for about 12 months.
Do you think they will still be ok?
Has anyone left them this long?

Great forum guys
Cheers
Toby

p.s.has anyone made an APA with simcoe amarillo and cascade?

As long as they've been stored airtight they'll be fine - if not they'll likely be dehydrated & stale - give them a smell, if they smell fresh great, if they lack aroma or smell stale, chuck them.
p.s. the hop combo there is probably one of the more common used in an APA, works great :)

Cheers Ross

Also look out for the 'cheese' smell. No good. Unless your'e making a lambic!

Also don't forget the alpha levels decrease with time in storage - up to 50% in 6 months depending on temperature, although by putting them in the freezer you've minimised that as much as possible.

Also don't forget the alpha levels decrease with time in storage - up to 50% in 6 months depending on temperature, although by putting them in the freezer you've minimised that as much as possible.

...and if I remember Ray Daniels correctly from Designing Great Beers, aroma and flavour characteristics actually *increase* in certain hops over time.

Cheers,
Michael. :)

I was given a free bag of hops from my LHBS that he'd had in his freezer for over three years and weren't selling (he said people who came there didn't seem to like Sterling). They were sealed airtight in foiled packages and still smelt great. They've been in my freezer for another 2 months now, still fresh smelling and green. I'm sure that's not the recommended time to keep them but it shows that they can keep a long time if you look after them.

Back