Storing Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnergeticSloth

Reaction score
Hey all
Im moving house over the next week and prob wont have time to brew for a few weeks was wondering what the best deal would be to do with the inactive fermenters?

1 Should i wash and sterlise as usual and then store?
2 Wash store and then sterilise when going to use?
3 Wash sterilise store and then sterilise beofre next brew?

:beer:

Option 2 should be your usual practice. Give them a rinse before sterilising on brewday if you are particularly worried about bugs/dust getting in since last brewday.

The main thing is clean and dry unless its going to have a dose of sterilizer in it to reduce the chance of the residual liquid going manky.

My understanding is that even storing wet with sanitizer is dangerous because the sanitizer looses effectiveness due to oxidation and organic load, so if you leave them for a long period you've likely to have a nice little culture in there...

My preference is for dry storage.

Clean, dry, store. Then sanitize before next use. If you want you can sanitize after cleaning, but before drying.

Basically option 2 or 3 but allow to dry.

Yeah, storing dry is important. If you close up a wet fermentor, you'll almost definitely have a yucky musty smell when you open it up in 3 weeks time. Even if you sanitize. Sometimes (tho unlikely if u santize well) you'll get mould.

Leave it dry, and maybe just leavethe airlock out of it so it can "breathe" while it's in storage. Give it a quick rinse out and sanitize when your'e ready to brew.

I know, my speeling and grammer is atroshus.

I give mine a good clean and store upside down, that will prevent even the smallest amount of water habouring microbes.

I give mine a good clean and store upside down, that will prevent even the smallest amount of water habouring microbes.

As I do but with the lid off & the bung hole open for air circulation. A quick rinse with boiling water & a sanitize before use next time.
I leave the fermenter out in the sun for an hour or so first to get all the moisture out.
Ditto for drying a cube & (I presume?) a ss conical.

:beer:

The main thing is clean and dry unless its going to have a dose of sterilizer in it to reduce the chance of the residual liquid going manky.

The steriliser comment was really more about kegs that are hard to dry where I have used a few drops of an orthophosphoric acid (or what ever it is) based sterilant to stop it going musty.

Back