Stockpile

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a friend over on the weekend and got to talking about how much beer I have so we did a stock check.

22 cases and a few random bottles, all up about 280 longies ready to drink.

Stout
Milk stout
Pilsener
NZ style lager
Mexican style lager
Pale
LCPA clone
Wheat
Belgian ale
Hoegarden clone

2 batches bubbling away at the moment as well.

When I started brewing 12 years ago it was so much fun I had something in the fermenter all the time for about 6 months. As a result I stockpiled a couple of hundred longnecks in the cellar. Not a good idea: I kept brewing, my brewing got better with experience, and I wasn't so happy drinking my old brews any more... Many sat there for a couple of years until I did something about it.
Lager not good after about a year, I found (all those carefully crafted hop aromas just vanished). Stouts and strong ales keep very well, however.

I now have 5 kegs and do 3-4 brews in a row, then drink up and replace, though I try to bottle 4-5 stubbies of most of my full-strength brews to see how they age.

MFS

I believe i've got about 180 longnecks which get filled & emptied pretty regularly. Hoping to get the last couple of cases filled before summer if the weather will just hang off a bit longer.

The plan is to have sufficient stocks so that I dont have to worry about brewing if the weather is too warm.

I have about 200 longnecks and 150 stubbies plus a couple of bad ginger beers that need pooring down the sink.

Trying to stock up for the summer and give each atleast 3 months in the bottle before drinking.

The advantages of kegging are certainly become very apparent for me also.
  • 4 Cartons of Lager
  • 2 Cartons of Pilsner
*Keeping these for when the weather gets warmer*
  • 2 Cartons of Stout
  • 2 Cartons of Wheat Beer
Bottling this weekend...
  • 2 Cartons of English Bitter
  • 2 Cartons of Bock
That's going to be about 190 longnecks after this weekend!!! :eek:

Perhaps, when I have bottles spilling from every shelf, drawer and cupboard, the lady of the house will agree to a kegging setup! :super:

Here's my stockpile...... slightly anticipatory albeit :p
stockpile.jpg

:lol:

Here's my stockpile...... slightly anticipatory albeit :p
stockpile.jpg

:lol:
info on the containers please? I was looking at similar looking ones at bunnings but didnt think they'd cope with stacking other containers weighing up to 20-25kg on top, but it looks like you've done that and then some.

Mine's more to thwart one very quick and very pain in the ass little mouse that has taken a liking to my Carapils (and only the Carapils interestingly enough.....he has taste at least)
Not sure what the storage time frame is, but I've been storing my grain in this style of container for a couple of years (it would sit in the container for a couple of months I suppose) and never had a problem.

On the real topic, I rarely have more than 40 litres in kegs at a time, I prefer to keep the turnover happening.

Lucas - I bought the containers from a 'reject shop' for $10 each, unfortunately I cannot direct you there as I bought them out, and have commandeered their next order as well....You see them all over the place though, cheap as chips, bunnings, warehouse etc. You just have to keep looking and grab them when the price is good enough. I've seen the same containers for $14each at Warehouse recently...
These ones are 50 litre with castors, and they hold an entire sack of grain.

56 longnecks in the cuboard.
12 in the fridge from the QLD case swap.
20 Bundy stubbies of cider
6 full kegs (apa, smoked ale, pear and apple cider, coffee-vanilla stout, vanilla porter, canadian lite for an up-coming party.
1 half keg of cider.
quater full barstard keg. (way to yum to leave it sit)

Primary
23lt APA
23lt Hoegarrden clone
23lt vanilla porter.

Secondary
23lt cider

FROGMAN.

I think at last count we had (all approx):
150 Coopers stout bottles at various stages of conditioning
50 bottles of a lager of mine
50 pilseners
120 or so other lagers (mainly dad's, as are the stout)
20 APAs
6 weizens (which are getting drunk, bit of a poor beer really)
10-12 ales (a promising beer, but fermented too warm)
7 pilseners (one of my first brews, aging them until Christmas, they'll be a year old then)

Other than that we've got some bottles of whatever in the fridge, and two fermenters coming along nicely (one of a Coopers Pale Ale, the other of a Beermaker's Bitter, both my dad's recipes).

We're trying to build up our stock of lighter beers for summer, I'm thinking of trying an extract APA next (first time doing non K&K).

Latest posts

Back